This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Replacement Raidiator Sources

Post by Dale »

Hello folks! Looking for a replacement radiator for my 1971 W100 . I'd like to stay away from the cheep knock off crap. Where do you recommend me trying? Thanks!!
1971 Dodge W100

charleypete1957
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Marathon
State: TX

Re: Replacement Raidiator Sources

Post by charleypete1957 »

I bought a radiator from Classicindustries.com, they sell a brand called U.S. Radiators. I haven’t installed it yet, as I’m not that far along in my project, but I took it out of the box and checked it over. I had read a lot about aftermarket radiators being flimsy and twisty, and this one seemed very solid and not twisty. It also has two cooling fans on it as we get 105 degree summers here every year, so I wanted plenty of cooling for those very-slow-going ranch roads I often encounter. It was pricey no doubt, but it may be worth looking at for you. I think what I bought may be overkill, but it was what looked at the time like the best bet for my requirements, and I’m quite pleased at its construction. Just can’t tell you how well it works yet.
You can’t say you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.

charleypete1957
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Marathon
State: TX

Post by charleypete1957 »

Speedcooling.com is another above-base-model radiator supplier that I looked at in my search. I liked their products, but can’t remember now why I went with the other company.
You can’t say you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Dale wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:39 pm
Hello folks! Looking for a replacement radiator for my 1971 W100 . I'd like to stay away from the cheep knock off crap. Where do you recommend me trying? Thanks!!
Did you look into getting your original radiator re-cored?

John

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

charleypete1957 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 pm
I bought a radiator from Classicindustries.com, they sell a brand called U.S. Radiators. I haven’t installed it yet, as I’m not that far along in my project, but I took it out of the box and checked it over. I had read a lot about aftermarket radiators being flimsy and twisty, and this one seemed very solid and not twisty. It also has two cooling fans on it as we get 105 degree summers here every year, so I wanted plenty of cooling for those very-slow-going ranch roads I often encounter. It was pricey no doubt, but it may be worth looking at for you. I think what I bought may be overkill, but it was what looked at the time like the best bet for my requirements, and I’m quite pleased at its construction. Just can’t tell you how well it works yet.
Thats a nice point about cooling fans,....I'm building for coast to cost travel so to say. Logging roads through the Rockies and a drive through Logans Pass. If I spend that on a radiator I would probably incorporate some brush and stone deflections. It's been 6 years now since I last drove my 71 w100 so I'm really getting the ball rolling. I even bought a 13hp gas power washer to speed up the process, lol!
1971 Dodge W100

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Hobcobble wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:31 am
Dale wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:39 pm
Did you look into getting your original radiator re-cored?

John
I had a 4 core rebuilt for my 73 gmc 1 ton years ago. My current rad really looks defeated with big smashes on the tanks but funny it's not leaking.... I wouldn't trust that . I'm wondering if there's better to get even as a possible rebuild. Gotta do something soon.
1971 Dodge W100

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

brass rads can be fixed on the trail...can clip a fin fold it over and get home....and even solder it
al. rads cool better ,cheaper and lighter

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Thanks nuts. Wondering if there is more cooling capacity with a big block radiator I've seen advertised as,.... I definitely want to equip with any extra cooling I can while driving coast to coast, or in the western heat, mountain logging roads, ... . I'm gonna go pull the info I.d on mine now.
1971 Dodge W100

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

1-800-RADIATORS. Got an aluminum rad for my son's Buick and was very pleased. Plus, they deliver if you are local to one of their outlets!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Champion radiator.
We used one in my friends big block el Camino. He drove it 2 years without problem. After that we gave it a bigger cam headers and aluminum heads. He has been on a few trips since that were 3 to 4 hours away. Still no problems.

I also used one in my 60 d 100 with a stock 383 mopar. It cooled far better than the brass 3 core I started with. I drove that one for 4 summers no issues.

Both vehicles had dual electric fans with shroud. I’m happy with champion’s products!
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

I custom ordered a 4 core aluminum radiator for Griffin (in South Carolina). It allowed me to move the radiator forward and gave me more room for a big fan with a clutch. I then made a fan shroud and added a puke tank.

I'm running a 440 punched out .080 (or .100 - don't remember) and everyone swears they run hot punched that far out. I've had zero problem even on very hot and humid days. I also run an additional trans cooler.

I do wish I would have painted it black but it won't be coming out now unless something fails.

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Thank you for the reply. I haven't been to do my homework on this yet, but I will be soon. More than likely I will be driving out to summit racing since it's close to home. I don't want to run my old rad through my new rebuild 318 ! Picts to come,...
1971 Dodge W100

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Post by 64D100Poly »

Champion radiators is a good deal, I got one for a challenger off of ebay from them a couple years back, massive and fits nicely in my 64 d100 with a couple extra holes drilled. I think I got it new for about $150, I just looked at their website and they make one specifically for trucks (https://www.championradiators.com/Dodge ... _1964-1970). I have been daily driving mine with that radiator for 2 years no issues, stays cool in 105 degree traffic.
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by nutz »

they where the only ones that offered one for the 225 -6
haven't used mine yet .......still a little (lot) more to do

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

nutz wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:00 pm
they where the only ones that offered one for the 225 -6
haven't used mine yet .......still a little (lot) more to do
Is there a difference between a slant 6 truck rad and a 383 truck?
Not cooling capacity but how far forward or back the core sits.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by nutz »

slant 6 has lower outlet on the other side ,
it was funny cause i was looking for a rad for a customer and made the comment was looking for one
for my truck ...was even in the catalog yet