This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Nasty61Swept
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sacramento
State: CA

New Guy with a 61

Post by Nasty61Swept »

Hey everyone. Names Ryan. I just picked up a 61 W200. I’m new to Mopars but I’ve had a chevelle for years so I’m not completely clueless when it comes to classics. I picked up the truck for cheap off of a guy who’s had it since 1990 and according to him it had one owner before that. It currently has a 318 under the hood that will fire but not run. (Currently working on that this week). It appears to have a NP420 with a divorced NV205.

The truck was originally white but got a red spray job along the way. The quarters and floor are surprisingly solid. It even came with a 440 from a motor home in the bed. I might rebuild that eventually.

My plans for the truck is to get the engine running well, change all the fluids, go through the steering and suspension to make sure the truck won’t kill me. Do the brakes and bleed the clutch. Clean the gas tank and check the fuel system. Steel wheels with 33 mud terrains. Bed liner the floor and install a bench seat.

This is a project truck for me and my young son to work on together and take camping, fishing, hunting, to car shows, and some light off roading.

I’m trying to load a picture but having trouble. I’ll work on it.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Re: New Guy with a 61

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Welcome to the forum!
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

That motor home 440 is a deep rabbit hole to fall into!
I’m getting closer with mine ,but it’s only money the bigger problem is convincing yourself to spend it.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The stock poly 318 in 61 will be miserable if you ever need to pull it. It has an early crank that extends further into the bell and the flywheel is attached with thru bolts with a nut between the flywheel and block. They are hell to get apart, 1 bolt at a time, rotating the engine as you go. As I recall, the bell doesn't come off the block until the flywheel has been removed.
The stock transfer case for the 61 W200 is a NP201. NV came much later.
Below the box where you compose your post, there is a tab titled "attachments". Click on that to attach a picture file to the post. The only trick is you have to resize your file to be no more than 256 KB.
More here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23632

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn

Post by PowerMan »

Glad to hear of another Nor-Cal sweptliner.
I'd run a compression test on the 318 to get a baseline and see if it has any larger issues before going to far.
The NP420 would be correct for a 61 and the NP201 would be factory as well.
The NP201 has a 10 bolt PTO while the NP205 (1969+) had a smaller 6 bolt PTO.
33" tires fit well with the stock suspension.
Finding the correct hydraulic clutch big block bellhousing and associated parts is rather difficult. I have a friend in Newcastle with the parts if you are interested.
I use postimage.org as a photo host site and then copy the forum picture link (from postimage.org) into your post.
I'm up in Auburn area and go to Cars/Coffee in Folsom or Grass Valley every once in a while.
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

Snowdog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: AL

Post by Snowdog »

Welcome! I have a '61 D100 myself. If you ever get a line on new grilles, let me know!

You're in for a good time. They're a fun truck on which to work, and there are plenty of knowledgeable folks who are happy to share their experience.
1961 Dodge D-100
Alberta, Canada

Nasty61Swept
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Nasty61Swept »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:00 pm
That motor home 440 is a deep rabbit hole to fall into!
I’m getting closer with mine ,but it’s only money the bigger problem is convincing yourself to spend it.
Oh yeah! I know the rabbit hole well. But I’ve yet to see the bottom . Ha!

Nasty61Swept
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Nasty61Swept »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:36 pm
The stock poly 318 in 61 will be miserable if you ever need to pull it. It has an early crank that extends further into the bell and the flywheel is attached with thru bolts with a nut between the flywheel and block. They are hell to get apart, 1 bolt at a time, rotating the engine as you go. As I recall, the bell doesn't come off the block until the flywheel has been removed.
The stock transfer case for the 61 W200 is a NP201. NV came much later.
Below the box where you compose your post, there is a tab titled "attachments". Click on that to attach a picture file to the post. The only trick is you have to resize your file to be no more than 256 KB.
More here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23632
Hopefully I won’t have to pull it for atleast this summer. I’ve never worked on one of these 4 speeds. Just muncies. It very well could be a 201. I’ll look closer at it the next time I’m under it. Yesterday I pulled the interior and today I plan to power wash it inside and out so I can start getting these floors squared away.

256 is the magic number? That makes sense. It kept saying my files were too large

Nasty61Swept
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Nasty61Swept »

PowerMan wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:43 pm
Glad to hear of another Nor-Cal sweptliner.
I'd run a compression test on the 318 to get a baseline and see if it has any larger issues before going to far.
The NP420 would be correct for a 61 and the NP201 would be factory as well.
The NP201 has a 10 bolt PTO while the NP205 (1969+) had a smaller 6 bolt PTO.
33" tires fit well with the stock suspension.
Finding the correct hydraulic clutch big block bellhousing and associated parts is rather difficult. I have a friend in Newcastle with the parts if you are interested.
I use postimage.org as a photo host site and then copy the forum picture link (from postimage.org) into your post.
I'm up in Auburn area and go to Cars/Coffee in Folsom or Grass Valley every once in a while.
Compression test is on the list. Hoping for the best. I have parts to build most of a 383… brace yourself… small block Chevy. But I’d rather keep this thing all mopar so hopefully she’s halfway healthy. Long term I’d like to put a 4bt in it.

I’m in Elk Grove and take the chevelle to Folsom cars and coffee every one and a while. I’d really like to check out your rig with the Cummins.

Nasty61Swept
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Nasty61Swept »

Snowdog wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:43 pm
Welcome! I have a '61 D100 myself. If you ever get a line on new grilles, let me know!

You're in for a good time. They're a fun truck on which to work, and there are plenty of knowledgeable folks who are happy to share their experience.
I have no line on anything. I’ve been scorching the earth trying to find a bench seat! These trucks are proving difficult to find parts for but that makes it more fun. I was originally going to build a c10 but it’s been done to death and wanted to do something different.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I have a stack of those seats in a variety of conditions.

Nasty61Swept
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Nasty61Swept »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:08 am
PM sent

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Nasty61Swept wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:29 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:08 am
PM sent
No PM received.

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn

Post by PowerMan »

Nasty61Swept wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:51 am

Compression test is on the list. Hoping for the best. I have parts to build most of a 383… brace yourself… small block Chevy. But I’d rather keep this thing all mopar so hopefully she’s halfway healthy. Long term I’d like to put a 4bt in it.

I’m in Elk Grove and take the chevelle to Folsom cars and coffee every one and a while. I’d really like to check out your rig with the Cummins.
I will be headed over on Saturday morning to Folsom Cars and Coffee if you are around. I believe it is at the Palladio off Bidwell this weekend.
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

Nasty61Swept
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Nasty61Swept »

PowerMan wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:47 pm
Nasty61Swept wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:51 am

I will be headed over on Saturday morning to Folsom Cars and Coffee if you are around. I believe it is at the Palladio off Bidwell this weekend.
I think I just might!

mopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mopar »

It currently has a 318 under the hood that will fire but not run.

Bad ballast resistor won't allow spark to continue once key is released from START position.