This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Blower Motor Replacments

Post by 64D100Poly »

Hello all, my blower motor finally burned up and spent hours looking for a replacement. I figured that I could save someone a good chunk of money and time with what I've learned.

My trucks blower motor managed to short out so badly it melted the coating off the wire, at the time it was the middle of winter so a heater was a pretty important thing to have. Let's start with heater models, Chrysler had produced about 15 different heaters they equipped with their trucks, most of them having a different blower motor. The most common heater for light duty trucks is the model 86, which is the one mine was equipped with. You need to be really careful with finding your replacement as many motors look identical but spin a different direction, and reversing polarity will NOT reverse rotation! Below is a guide you can reference, courtesy of the Sweptline.org parts manual.

http://www.sweptline.org/1963_1968_Cat1.html

After researching the part number on my motor with no results, I turned to what the book said. I found two eBay listings under the part numbers listed in the book for $200 and $250... yeah no way i'm paying that. It seems that every year they had changed the part number, I was finding nearly 10 part numbers listed on the box of one motor, each number bringing up nothing. This was until I found a very similar, nearly identical motor that was not Mopar, this company was Leece Neville. Turns out this is the actual manufacture of these motors. If your lucky your blower motor will still have a 4 digit number followed by a letter or two painted on the side in yellow, this is the Leece Neville part number, this is different from the Mopar number stamped in the case. These Leece Neville motors can be found NOS for less than $40.. seems perfect right? If you choose to go this route please do be warned, every one of these motors I've gotten has suffered from the same issue. The holder for the brushes is made up of a Bakelite/circuit board mix that with age becomes so brittle it shatters into pieces. I will say that every motor I've had (only 3) has been used and taken off of a junked truck with exception to the one I was replacing, an NOS one that was in a temperature controlled room for years is probably safe. My motor was worn and missing the yellow number but while searching for a similar Leece motor I came across a what looks vintage but is a new reproduction that is listed as universal, thankfully the seller supplied thorough measurements that lined up nearly exactly with mine, $18 to my door and it's a direct replacement that works flawlessly. I guess my point of this is to show that you can find these motors that are listed under vague/universal titles, or you can take a gamble on an original Leece Neville. I've seen a number of people ask for a compatible replacement motor to no avail, I hope this helps someone who isn't trying to shell out $250 for a Mopar branded one.

- LB

If anybody is wondering the RockAuto blower motor listed for our trucks will NOT work for a model 86 it's dimensions are way off.
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO