This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
bsomers
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Saratoga Springs
State: UT

Front end conversion - IFS, disk brakes, rack and pinion

Post by bsomers »

I just found out that QA1 now makes a front end conversion kit that fits Mustang II IFS, disk brakes, and rack and pinion. I found it in the youtube video linked below. The main part is the crossmember which will connect to the frame via one existing bolt hole in the frame rail on each side and six additional bolt holes, per side, that you have to drill yourself. Looks like the control arms, rack and pinion, and disk brakes are all mustang parts. There is a steering column adapter (lengthener), you have to add tie-rod extensions, and you have to change the oil pan and oil pump pickup to a rear sump. The kit is new and may not pull up on their website yet but you can call their tech team at 952-985-5675. I promise that I'm not sponsored, I'm just excited!!
https://youtu.be/pG3RafEKrPo

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Re: Front end conversion - IFS, disk brakes, rack and pinion

Post by CSS-Registry »

it'll be interesting to see what comes of this project.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

ckjarr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gleason
State: TN

Post by ckjarr »

I ran across the QA1 videos on YouTube the other day. Any idea how their kit compares to the others currently out there price wise? I’m really nowhere close to doing this but I see it coming in the future so I’m trying on top of what’s available.

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

That’s the Gerst suspension. Think this company bought him ought or something. Depends on all the extras you want but around $4000.

ckjarr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ckjarr »

I figured it would be much the same as far as the kit. I was hoping they could offer it a bit more economical...

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

sledgehammer wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:29 pm
That’s the Gerst suspension. Think this company bought him ought or something. Depends on all the extras you want but around $4000.
You are correct, they bought out Carl Gerst's design and operation. Yes it is all Mustang II components.
Not knocking the kit, I do know a couple people that have Carl's original kits in there trucks and they were happy with the kit and install.
But someone the other day purchased a new kit and had posted it on social media and there were some pretty serious gaps between the cross member and chassis......so, I don't know if there are some QC issues with QA1 vs Gerst or what.....but I'd do some checking around with some other customers before jumping into one of those kits now. JMO
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray

Post by Drummerdad »

I have no experience with this kit, so take this with a grain of salt. There are several issues with putting IFS on these trucks. The biggest issue is the frame width. The frame rails are very wide on these trucks, and its a stretch getting a cross member to fit. This will also cause the steering rack to be short. These can both be overcome but its something to consider. Another thing to consider is, most mustang II suspensions only use mustang II geometry. Some might use 74-78 MII parts, but most dont. So the ball joints and brakes will be from something else, as well as shocks springs and bushings. This is an issue Im having, and there is no way to locally source these parts. Im having to figure out what I have.

QA1 makes quality stuff, but its expensive. I think the bolt in IFS for the F100 is over $4k last time I checked. If I had it to do all over again, I would use a Welder Series MII kit, and source the control arms from someone else, or make a set, then add the QA1 coil overs, or airbags if you want. There are some companies, rod shops and custom fab companies that will make you an IFS to fit, but they are very expensive. If you buy a pre-made kit, expect to modify it to work.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

Drummerdad wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:08 pm
I have no experience with this kit, so take this with a grain of salt. There are several issues with putting IFS on these trucks. The biggest issue is the frame width. The frame rails are very wide on these trucks, and its a stretch getting a cross member to fit. This will also cause the steering rack to be short. These can both be overcome but its something to consider. Another thing to consider is, most mustang II suspensions only use mustang II geometry. Some might use 74-78 MII parts, but most dont. So the ball joints and brakes will be from something else, as well as shocks springs and bushings. This is an issue Im having, and there is no way to locally source these parts. Im having to figure out what I have.

QA1 makes quality stuff, but its expensive. I think the bolt in IFS for the F100 is over $4k last time I checked. If I had it to do all over again, I would use a Welder Series MII kit, and source the control arms from someone else, or make a set, then add the QA1 coil overs, or airbags if you want. There are some companies, rod shops and custom fab companies that will make you an IFS to fit, but they are very expensive. If you buy a pre-made kit, expect to modify it to work.
To me, if your going this far and obviously have some good welding and fabrication skills, the 72-93 front clip is the best way to go. Everything fit pretty nice, it's all setup for any type of Mopar engine combo(/6, smallblock, big block, Hemi, manual, automatic). Track is correct, you can adjust for correct wheelbase, wheel bolt pattern is optional, compatible for 100 and 200, D and W options, springs and leafs options, manual or power steering. It's all Dodge truck and everything is available at any local parts supplier. The hardest part of using the 72-93 clip is the angle of the 61-71 steering column and getting the stock column to work with the forward mounted steering box. I used a mid 80's tilt column and reworked the angle of the column to match the 72-93 angle and it lines up great. JMO
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

I just watched the Corkscrew video on youtube. It is a bolt in system that fits the wide frame of these trucks. I didnt see the kit on their website though. I did look up the kit for the 67 Ford F100, and its $3800, without brakes. If you want a big brake kit, add $800 for just the fronts. I would think this kit comes in close to the same price, so around $4400 total give or take. Im sure its a fantastic kit too, if you have the money.

ckjarr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ckjarr »

For comparison purposes, what’s the down side to a kit like this (aside from welding) with a front and rear suspension overhaul for half the price?
https://unclejimmysjalopys.com/product ... ation-kit/

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

ckjarr wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:42 pm
For comparison purposes, what’s the down side to a kit like this (aside from welding) with a front and rear suspension overhaul for half the price?
https://unclejimmysjalopys.com/product ... ation-kit/

DONT DO IT!. That is the same kit, from the same place I bought my kit from. It is a Helix kit, which is from China. Go to the suspension section and look at the mustang 2 IFS thread I started. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43891

There are many better ways to update your suspension.

ckjarr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ckjarr »

Very informative read for sure! You’ve talked me right out of that!!

I spoke with a local hotrod builder Steve Legens of Legens Hotrod here in Weakley County and he said they typically use Fat Man Fabrications in NC for all their IFS kits. You can look up his work, his customer base typically spares no expense on their builds. So I gave them a shout out and received this back a month or so ago. What’s you guys initial thought here?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0DGmUQ ... Q3EE4KsUKA

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Quite a few here have used a Fatman IFS and I don't recall hearing any complaints.

ckjarr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ckjarr »

Mr. Legens says he has used them for years with no problems. I guess the day I decide to take the leap I will look this direction. Nothing like spending as much on a suspension upgrade as you did on the truck!! :lol:

LPSewptline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: La Plata
State: MD

Post by LPSewptline »

Over the winter I want to do the IFS on my truck and was looking at both QA1 and Fatman. Has anyone here on the forums actually installed either of these that they can comment on?
-Mark
1971 Dodge D100

bw406
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by bw406 »

I have a Ford Crown Vic front clip on my 68 D100. I'm really happy with it. Great brakes and suspension, all aluminum, well engineered and proven system. It fits the frame rails nicely. In my opinion the only drawback is the width, it forces a positive offset wheel, like +20mm. I found a wheel type that looks good to me but not all of them do in a positive offset.

MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oakland
State: CA

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

I have the Gerst IFS on my 71 D100 long bed. This is the first generation IFS sold by Gerst back in 2020, before QA1 acquired them. The previous owner had a shop do the work and they installed an airbag system on it as well. Well unfortunately I came to find out that this shop did a lot of things wrong. I contacted QA1 and they confirmed that their IFS is not designed or was made to work with bags. I have purchased new LCA’s, shocks, coil over springs and a sway bar from QA1. I will be removing the air ride/bags front and rear. The triangulated 4 link rear will need to be re-done and I’ll be using coil over shocks in the rear.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

Here's my 1991 D150 IFS conversion.
1991 D150 IFS welded in place
1991 D150 IFS welded in place
1991 D150 IFS in my 69 D100 finished product
1991 D150 IFS in my 69 D100 finished product