This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Camshafts and Lifters

Post by swptln »

Been hearing a lot of rumors flying around the internet, social media, etc. about lifters and or cam's being less than standard in quality, also a shortage.
Wondering if anyone has recently purchased and broke-in a cam?
I do understand the issues with low zinc oils out there now...so I don't believe from I read or heard some claim that the low zinc oil is an issue. As we all know we have to use additives, break-in lube, etc to break-in a new motor these day's.

What is being said is that, supposedly lifters are only manufactured by a couple of manufacturers and being distributed to many suppliers, ie Comp Cams, Crane, Edelbrock, Harland Sharp, etc, etc. Most of the problems being reported are with flat tappet cams and hydraulic lifters. I have seen and heard stories from people building engines that are people who shouldn't be building engines also.
Apparently there are no issues with roller cams.....
Really trying to see if these rumors or stories are valid or just propaganda to get people to move away from flat tappet valve trains?
Any thoughts or experiences?, would like to hear some opinions.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Re: Camshafts and Lifters

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

I agree with the need for break in fluids. I installed a new cam in my Tahoe. No problems. Even after 6 years. Yes it was a roller cam. A friend put a new cam in his 396 broke it in with break in oil and soon realized that either it was soft metal or he didn’t do the break in properly. I wasn’t there for the break in. I find it hard to believe that an after market cam company would be trying to help get rid of flat tappet cams. They are still a large part of their business. Just my 2 cents.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I believe flat tappet cams are sort of like drum brakes. Still around but are not evolving, no research/developments nor improvements. The choices/grinds aren't there like they were in days past.
If I were building an engine today I doubt I would stick with flat tappet cam.

I'm surprised the aftermarket support for carburetors is still as active as it is, since its been 30 years since a new domestic came with one.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

712edf wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:08 pm
I believe flat tappet cams are sort of like drum brakes. Still around but are not evolving, no research/developments nor improvements. The choices/grinds aren't there like they were in days past.
If I were building an engine today I doubt I would stick with flat tappet cam.

I'm surprised the aftermarket support for carburetors is still as active as it is, since its been 30 years since a new domestic came with one.

Bucky
I would go with a roller too, but the cost is ridiculous, bad enough forking out 4 bills for a flat tappet cam kit, but 8-9 bills for a roller setup is nuts for a street motor.
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:31 pm
I agree with the need for break in fluids. I installed a new cam in my Tahoe. No problems. Even after 6 years. Yes it was a roller cam. A friend put a new cam in his 396 broke it in with break in oil and soon realized that either it was soft metal or he didn’t do the break in properly. I wasn’t there for the break in. I find it hard to believe that an after market cam company would be trying to help get rid of flat tappet cams. They are still a large part of their business. Just my 2 cents.
I'd like to think your right, but it really seems odd that all of a sudden around 2019-2020 there's issues with flat tappet cams. Then you have all these people surfacing, building engines without a clue as to building or break-in procedures of a motor. :thinking
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by Series1Utiline »

I went a route that was partly meant to reduce the potential for material issues (and secondarily saved cost). I had my 1965 OEM solid camshaft re-ground by a very reputable regrinder and had them grind it to specs that I picked from their list to match my build. I then went with Howards EDM lifter, a US company that developed solid lifters with the EDM oil hole in the face for improved lubrication. Using them also eliminates the issue of poor off-shore material control, one of the primary issues from the larger volume manufacturers like Comp, etc.

Most often if you don't have a radical cam profile and have reasonable spring pressures with decent break-in oil, you should be OK with the break-in. But I have also read about cam and lifter failures from the "big guys".

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

I'm just going to go with Mopar Performance flat tappet Hemi grind and see what happens. I haven't heard anything bad about Mopar Performance cam kits, except one guy mentioned a couple lifter collapse problems. But nothing about wiping out lifters or cam. The Hemi grind is just under .500 lift and nothing crazy on the spring pressures, 110 LSA.
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab