jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

Handicap Brother.

Post by jimharold »

Hey all,

Tragedy hit the family a few weeks ago. My brothers-in-law ( yes two of them at the same time ) were out riding bikes and were hit by a car. One now is unable to move from chest down. He was in the middle of street rodding a 1955 Studebaker truck. IFS is almost done. So the truck is tore down at this time. Has anybody seen an old truck modified for physically disabled people? All controls at the hands. Also a way to enter the truck.
Kirks 1955 before the front end was removed.
Kirks 1955 before the front end was removed.
As you can see it's a very pretty truck. Any and all ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you one and all,
Jimharold

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Handicap Brother.

Post by 712edf »

Sorry to hear that.

Yes it has been done. It involves (or at least did before the electronic era) levers and/or cables. For a manual transmission application one could adapt a cable actuated clutch fork setup just like used on motorcycles, mount the lever on the shifter.

Not sure about the throttle/accelerator, maybe look at a modern vehicle that's handicapped equipped.

As for the door/entry, maybe employ some solenoids & a key FOB. My wife's mini van has them on the rear doors.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Lunatech
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eagle Point
State: OR

Post by Lunatech »

Not only has it been done it has been done well. Check out the "Lunch Money Truck". This guy is truly inspirational.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

So sorry to hear this Jim. Unbelievable man. :pale Best of luck with this project!

jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

Post by jimharold »

Update:
Got a video yesterday. HE MOVED HIS FEET!!! Just out and back but enough to push the therapist away. When my sister asked, "what are you doing?" the sound of his voice said it all, "I am pushing her" was his reply. The man is a lion. Always was, always will be.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

jimharold wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:17 pm
Update:
Got a video yesterday. HE MOVED HIS FEET!!! Just out and back but enough to push the therapist away. When my sister asked, "what are you doing?" the sound of his voice said it all, "I am pushing her" was his reply. The man is a lion. Always was, always will be.
well I think that's a good sign!