This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
jamin314
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Evansville
State: IN

New Member, New Truck

Post by jamin314 »

Hey, my name is Ben. I recently bought my first truck ('71 d100 sweptline) off the lot of a boarded KFC. It's in what looks to be great condition. The 3-on-the-tree shift linkage is my first priority because does not seem to like second and I'd like to drive it more than just around the neighborhood. It's story (as far as I know) seems to start somewhere in Alabama in 2016, moved here to southern Indiana and then switched owners a few times never being titled so I assume not being driven very far. I bought it as a learning experience (and because it sounds/looks pretty). It's my first manual... everything (transmission, brakes, steering) so it is a little scary to drive especially trying to learn everything at once. It should be an interesting adventure and one I look forward to. I'm sure I'll be back to ask about something that my Chilton's manual doesn't cover (which so far has almost proven very useful, but it cuts off right before what I need).
Attachments
d100 smallest.jpg

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: New Member, New Truck

Post by Wildergarten »

jamin314 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 pm
I'm sure I'll be back to ask about something that my Chilton's manual doesn't cover (which so far has almost proven very useful, but it cuts off right before what I need).
Reprints of factory service manuals are available on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-1971 ... SwAGhagcPB
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That is not the correct cover for the 69-71 manual.
These are:

$65 http://www.autobooksbishko.com/Items/19 ... l/689.html

$44 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-1971 ... 0005.m1851 includes the 71 supplement

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 am
To which I guess I should reply that... one can't tell a book by its cover?

I did get a '68 manual from these folks (actually a '67 plus an addendum) but I haven't bought specifically a '69 edition from them. My guess is that the vendor wouldn't be getting the 100% positive feedback rating ebay displays if the contents were in error. There are other editions there in both cover styles but you are correct that all of the covers on the used editions available there are in the style you referenced. Perhaps it has something to do with a copyright license, royalty, or other some such?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

That looks pretty nice for something found in the parking lot of an abandoned restaurant.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Wildergarten wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:15 am
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 am
To which I guess I should reply that... one can't tell a book by its cover?

I did get a '68 manual from these folks (actually a '67 plus an addendum) but I haven't bought specifically a '69 edition from them. My guess is that the vendor wouldn't be getting the 100% positive feedback rating ebay displays if the contents were in error. There are other editions there in both cover styles but you are correct that all of the covers on the used editions available there are in the style you referenced. Perhaps it has something to do with a copyright license, royalty, or other some such?
I bought originals from the dealer back in the 70's and have several here to compare these reprints to. I have also bought Bishko manuals in recent yrs. They are absolutely identical to the original except for one thing. The Bishko manuals are printed on a heavy bond, white paper with a heavy cover. Originals are much lighter weight paper that deteriorates, yellows and falls apart with age. The one Bishko ebay link I posted is also $20 less costly and free shipping. The point about the cover is, they claim it is an authorized reprint, but if the cover isn't correct, what else is incorrect or lesser quality?
On a side note, originals were about $35 from the dealer in the 70's. That was real money then!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

soopernaut wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 am
That looks pretty nice for something found in the parking lot of an abandoned restaurant.
Looks finger licking good..... :joker

John

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

if you can get good at driving that with manual everything it makes you a better driver of everything else. power steering is for weenies. ;/)