Re: new high school kid with a 66 d200 stepside

Post by jrusk450 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:33 pm
jrusk450 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:36 pm
I drive by Acalanes many times a week.
Here's an interesting thought for you and others:
Many of us have been on these forums since before you were born...
Then you will definetley see this truck, its going to be my daily and will be impossible to miss, be sure to say hi!
As to that last part, that's pretty crazy, probably a good resource for many before and many to come. I got recommended to go here by my shop teacher, who runs the vintage 4x4 expedition. check it out here if you do want to take the power wagon off roading. Trying to get mine ready for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=8IOO1g9Jtf4

jrusk450
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: walnut creek
State: CA

Post by jrusk450 »

Wildergarten wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:24 pm
jrusk450 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that, glad that you're not out on the streets anymore and ow a classic. did you have a car of that era?
I had a '64 Dart 270 with a 318, A833 Hurst, massive disc brakes, 8-3/4 X 2.93 axle, and big sways front and rear, Yoko 225-70-HR14 tires, complete with flared fenders and an air dam. I'd spent a year tricking out a Holley 650. It was painted in a gray lacquer about the color of pavement (Camo!). It was a Porsche destroyer, whether on Highway 24, Pleasant Hill Rd/Taylor Blvd, or even on Bear Creek. Loved that car.
sounds mean! if you were racing in '79 you might have raced my dad. I'm a heavy dodge guy, so I can see a dart build in the near future. something i want to do before high school is over

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
No, he didn't have "a" car of that era....he had many! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like what? My first car (at 19) was a Valiant wagon, but within a year I T-boned it into a pickup doing a left-turn around the end of the center divide just west of the entry to Lafayette Reservoir on Mt. Diablo Bl. The replacement Dart 270 became that second wild and crazy Porsche destroyer, which started as a 273 with 3-on-the-tree. Went through a ton of 9" clutches until I got the 10-1/2, got the discs because it ate 9" brakes, added the 4spd with the hump, and then blew up the 273. So I got the 318 at a wrecking yard, whence I learned the hard way about pilot bushings. So what sounds like a lot of cars was instead a LOT of iterations on the same car including a bunch of failed experiments (such as 360 heads on it that clipped the pistons). Yet despite so many fits abuse, that 4spd Dart ended with 180K on it, and I pushed the pistons out of the tops of the cylinders (the rings were shot, but there was no ridge). I was building another when I met my wife, but that project ended up stillborn. It rusted right through that beautiful blue metallic while I was building our house (photo shows how subtle the flares were on the rear fenders, partly because I'd folded the inside flange up against the body). Sent it to the chipper. So the total is three of those cars, one of which I never drove.

Oh and Terry, you'll note that I'd moved the gas filler. That was for the same reason I won't keep the stock gas filler setup on a Swept. Corner that car hard with the stock setup, and no matter what was the cap or filler neck, it would leak. This setup never did, which is why I built at least three of those adaptations for others (it has a copper drain tube so that water wouldn't get in there). Slosh a Swept on the terrible roads we have, and they do the same (Dodge should have fired that engineer). I'm thinking the fix is to weld in a tube with the typical latter day flap valve in it (don't remember who posted on it here, but it was a good job).
Attachments
This blue one was my Dad's car. <br />With the wind deflectors and losing the rack Azrael was a much more handsome car.
This blue one was my Dad's car.
With the wind deflectors and losing the rack Azrael was a much more handsome car.
043.jpg
019.jpg
042.jpg
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

jrusk450 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:56 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
jrusk450 wrote:
Then you will definetley see this truck, its going to be my daily and will be impossible to miss, be sure to say hi!
As to that last part, that's pretty crazy, probably a good resource for many before and many to come. I got recommended to go here by my shop teacher, who runs the vintage 4x4 expedition. check it out here if you do want to take the power wagon off roading. Trying to get mine ready for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=8IOO1g9Jtf4
Is there any onsite class time with all the covid BS?
Your truck would be more at home here, even being 2wd:
https://www.dodgepowerwagonrally.com/gallery

jrusk450
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrusk450 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:58 pm
jrusk450 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:56 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:

Is there any onsite class time with all the covid BS?
Your truck would be more at home here, even being 2wd:
https://www.dodgepowerwagonrally.com/gallery
No onsite class time, but thursdays were shop night before lockdown number two. I'm good friends with my shop teacher so he lets me work on my truck when he's in. I will have to hit both, since the 4x4 is in spring and this one's in summer.

jrusk450
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrusk450 »

Hey I'd figure I'd give you guys an update, the truck is almost done! it needs minor brake work, and then itll be the first car in my name. this thing is just coming along great. I've been taking pictures, so im going to post them all at once when its done. will still be on here as I really enjoy these sweptlines and I think im gonna try finding a 68-70. These things are the best trucks out there. also, if you have anything you want to take on a 4x4 trip, my shop teacher is running an off road expedition on the 18th of next month, ill include more details if you guys are interested. sorry for long period of inactivity, the truck hasn't been the only thing on my plate. I'm starting to put together money and plans for a 71-73 charger build next.