This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Canadian Production Stats?

Post by 67step100 »

New member here in search of a '60's D100. Doing lots of research and finding lots of info on this site, thank you. I've also been trying to determine or find if there are any stats on how many trucks came out of the Windsor plant. One of the trucks I looked at had a VIN that identified it as having been built at the Windsor plant in '67. I found this site http://www.sweptline.com/hist/prod_info.html, but it doesn't mention if it is for both US and Canada or just the US. This site http://www.sweptlinetruck.com/history.php#1963 just mentions US production and its numbers are greater than the other site (used 1967 as a test). Thus, not sure how accurate even these sites are since their numbers don't really add up. So does anyone have a source for Canadian produced Dodge trucks? Thanks. Once I find a truck I know I'll have a lot more questions.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Canadian Production Stats?

Post by soopernaut »

Both of those sites have the same number of trucks listed for 1967 V8 model year production, so that must be from the same source. The 2nd site listed does mention Canadian built trucks for some years, but does not mention a source. It also appears that for Canadian built trucks they are only including those for sale in the US market.

When you get a truck it really won't matter where it was made.

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

soopernaut wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:41 pm
Both of those sites have the same number of trucks listed for 1967 V8 model year production, so that must be from the same source. The 2nd site listed does mention Canadian built trucks for some years, but does not mention a source. It also appears that for Canadian built trucks they are only including those for sale in the US market.

When you get a truck it really won't matter where it was made.
Yes, the V8 production numbers are similar but the 6 cylinder are about 10,000 trucks different. That's a big gap.

No, it doesn't matter where it is made, I just like to get the history and particulars of any vehicle I get. It kind of just adds to the story of the truck. I have a '51 Studebaker 2R5 that I've traced back to Alberta where I think it spent most of its life as a farm truck. It was a Canadian built truck (Hamilton, ON).

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

So I happened to pick up the book "Dodge Pickups History and Restoration Guide 1918-1971" by D. Bunn and T. Brownell from the library and got the following information, in case anyone else ever asks. I don't know how accurate the data is and they only give the total number of trucks from the Canadian plant, no break down. Canadian production generally represented less than 10% of the total Dodge truck production in each year. The jump in 1965 may be due to the Autopact having been established so Canadian trucks could be shipping into the US duty free. So while Canadian built trucks are relatively scarce compared to their US counterparts, if you have a Canadian built truck from 1970, it is very rare.

1961: 6496
1962: 6382
1963: 9691
1964: 13062
1965: 17340
1966: 16691
1967: 16137
1968: 16572
1969: 15505
1970: 1048 (economic recession)
1971: 17010

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Post by DukePW »

All I know is Chrysler Canada does not publish their numbers on Fargo trucks. I emailed them many years ago requesting production numbers of 1967 Fargo W100's. They actually replied back, they made a total of 98 that year, something like 48 slant 6's and 50 318's. They did not break them down any further then that. From what I remember from talking to my dad (both him and his dad assembled trucks at that plant at that time) they made many truck models from medium to light duty trucks. Lower volume trucks were simply built in stalls. If your truck was built in Windsor it would part of much a less production number.

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

DukePW wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:47 am
All I know is Chrysler Canada does not publish their numbers on Fargo trucks. I emailed them many years ago requesting production numbers of 1967 Fargo W100's. They actually replied back, they made a total of 98 that year, something like 48 slant 6's and 50 318's. They did not break them down any further then that. From what I remember from talking to my dad (both him and his dad assembled trucks at that plant at that time) they made many truck models from medium to light duty trucks. Lower volume trucks were simply built in stalls. If your truck was built in Windsor it would part of much a less production number.
I hadn't thought about the Fargo trucks. I assume they came out of the same plant but don't know how they would have differed from the Dodge, other than the badge. Can you post some pics of your truck?

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

DukePW wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:47 am
I hadn't thought about the Fargo trucks. I assume they came out of the same plant but don't know how they would have differed from the Dodge, other than the badge. Can you post some pics of your truck?