This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
martin67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: portales
State: NM

Frame swap questions

Post by martin67 »

Just picked up a 1961 shortbed. Just curious on what options are out there. I've done Dakota frame swaps in the past with a 53 pilothouse and even clipped a 59 belvedere with success. Also would a 2001 Dodge 1500 work under these trucks.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Re: Frame swap questions

Post by Jim100 »

Don't know but a decent swept short frame, if you get rid of it, would have value!

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

I have looked at using that vintage of frame, the issue is that you will need to shorten it. If I recall correctly, the shortest wheelbase available is 118", which means you still need to make it shorter. The 72-93 is closer, but the shape is no conducive to a nice swap. I have also looked at using the 04 up durango frame, I think it would work.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

If you cut the bed floor you can put the truck on a 72-93 truck frame with no frame modifications. You could also do a body lift and have no cutting of either the bed or frame. You can splice the frame under the cab and leave the rear of the old frame.

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray
State: TN

Post by Drummerdad »

Why change it? Just curious. You can upgrade it with IFS and a 4-link, add some disc brakes.... These frames are pretty good, and not very common.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Drummerdad wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:38 pm
Why change it? Just curious. You can upgrade it with IFS and a 4-link, add some disc brakes.... These frames are pretty good, and not very common.
Probably cost. When I considered rebuilding what I had versus going to IFS, PS, disc brakes; it seemed that the price for upgrades using a newer frame/clip was the most cost effective. I got a 77 truck for $350 w/ 70,000 miles on it. When I realized the whole frame wasn't going to fit correctly I traded the engine/transmission for the frame splice work.

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray
State: TN

Post by Drummerdad »

Makes sense. I didnt think of that. Cost will limit me on the f100 Im building. You can buy a new frame, but Im not spending $12k for a frame. The brand name IFS kits are usually in the $4k range.