This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Head Trouble

Post by Dale »

Well, I removed the intake manifold from my 318, and twisted off head of a bolt. Got the intake manifold off and found weird pieces of metal resting on top of the lifter valley. About all I can say right now is I suspect some sort of valve component, like maybe a keeper or something. Kind of short of words to say how upset I am. I don't know if it matters, why I can freely spin all the push rods with my fingers while only about 2 that I cant. Though, I was convinced the engine in my 1971 Dodge truck was good. Always started pretty much at the bump of the key. I did take a funny notice about the blue smoke from the exhaust tail pipe last I ran the engine. Looking quickly through Summit Racing, I can't touch a set of heads for 13 hundred, out of my price range for a set of heads on this motor. I went back and pulled the oil pan and there was no metal in there. I'm looking over the pistons and the reciprocating assembly for anything else. I'm still moving forward with the rest of repairs. Maybe I need a 440.

I think its time for the heads on my engine to be taken in and serviced. Cam and lifters might as well get replaced too.

Might anyone here recommend where I should take the heads to be checked over, possible rebuild?
1971 Dodge W100

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Head Trouble

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Local machine shops do valve jobs.
Engines of the swepty era are pre-unleaded gas and exhaust valve seats are not hardened. Most all folks today have forgotten that detail, thus seats erode and need work.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:43 pm
Local machine shops do valve jobs.
Engines of the swepty era are pre-unleaded gas and exhaust valve seats are not hardened. Most all folks today have forgotten that detail, thus seats erode and need work.
Amen to both. I'd add the mandated removal of ZDDP in the oil, is hard on non-roller camshafts.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Thank you for the information. The engine is a 318 from a 1984 Ramcharger. I have pulled the oil pan to check for anything and nothing was found. I'm going to clean up the intake area, and throw some new gaskets back in. I'm not going to worry about this problem finding the one broken piece right now. Moving forward to the new distributor install, primary ignition, and get the cab harness together.

I will seek out a qualified shop to have the heads inspected, and go from there. Not building a hopped up engine. Its a good motor, so I'll be looking after it.

I appreciate your help!
1971 Dodge W100

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Post a pic of the broken piece u found.

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

I'd really like to post a picture or two, and of what I had been sharing. Trouble is, I need to figure out how to resize my pictures. I fished out a piece from the oil pick up screen when I had the oil pan off. Was fishing around in there with a magnet, and just was not magnetizing anything. I finally got it out with a pick and a piece of flattened solid copper wire with the insulation removed. So this piece I found is not magnetic. I have the other pieces that I have not tested with the magnet.

Got the oil pan cleaned, and put back up, and I hope I put the gaskets in right. I pulled a little too hard on the rubber gasket nub that secures through the little hole in the pan, but I would like to believe I still managed to install it as should be. Tomorrow, I plan to extract the broken intake manifold bolt in the head, clean the old gaskets away, and wipe out the lifter valley. The starter and intake manifold will also get degreased, cleaned up, and installed my this weekend. I will be able to get back to the new ecu, ecu harness, and distributor install!

I'll report back on the pieces found!

Thank you again, as always, for the help.
1971 Dodge W100

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

The pieces you're finding might be remnants of your valve stem
seals. A 1984 engine should already have hardened valve seats.
Depending on the mileage and history of your engine, it might
need a valve job [w/new stem seals] and also some piston rings
and a hone? You're about 110 miles away from Oil City, PA. I know
a company down there that does very reasonably priced machine
work.... [Les Frickshun Products]. If you don't have a good shop
nearby.... maybe that's an option for you? :thinking

John :2cents

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Interesting. It might be worth my while to look into this shop. I really feel my 318 is a good engine, and kind of think it would be a lower cost to rebuild, than a new long block 318 crate engine. I'm more scared about finding the right person for a 318 engine over haul than paying for it.

Yes, I might agree with you. It could be a valve seal. I already replaced the valve covers last summer, and don't recall any broken pieces around the valve springs. I did find pieces when I removed the intake manifold. So, would any broken pieces make their way from the top of the head down under the intake manifold? I'm looking and trying to figure out which head(s) the pieces could have come from.

My personal feelings on what my 318 would need are new crank seals, having the head work done, a new cam, push rods, lifters, timing chain and gear set. I want to keep my original Chrysler cast iron heads.

If my 318 engine requires new pistons, rods, crank bearings, possible cylinder enlargement, labor, I might as well throw in the towel and get a new crate long block 318? The only lower end problems that I recognize are leaking crank seals, which leaking oil bothers me.

So, having the heads done, I'd want a new cam, lifters, push rods, head gaskets, ( already have exhaust manifold gaskets ), and new head bolts.

Decisions.

I got the broken intake manifold bolt out this afternoon. If you were sitting in the driver's seat, the broken intake bolt I removed would be on the driver's side, the first bolt in front of the manifold. The thread holes stop at the head, and don't go through into the head like the other 5 bolts do on this side. The broken bolt had to be drilled all the way out, I was afraid I would snap off my new broken bolt extractor and really be in a jam. I tapped out the hole and I seem to have lucked out, I think it will pass. I got some thick head bolt washers off the garden tractor, and figure I would go up to the super hardware store and pick up some hardened bolts, for a 1.50 a pound.

I'm still excited about getting the engine back together, and trying for spark. I had plans for other parts this spring, but I might have to get head work done first.

I got new intake manifold gaskets. They are steel, or tin, or something. Would I use any silicon anywhere besides the two cork gaskets?

I'll be back at it in the morning, still have to clean up the manifold and lifter valley.

Thank you all for your help!!
1971 Dodge W100

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Just checked out the web site. Going to give them a call @ 814-676-9997. Thanks!
1971 Dodge W100

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Rings, bearings and crank journals are going to be worn out long before the cam and lifters. Ridiculous to change those and not the lower end.
The driver side of the engine is always the "left" side and cylinders are 2-4-6-8 front to back.

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Yea, that's correct. Us tractor guys always go from the "sitting" in the seat viewpoint. My bad, lol!

On another note, took me all day to clean and repair the intake manifold. Found this video: https://youtu.be/8BiTRvGeEB4
1971 Dodge W100