This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Lets Talk New Distributor Replacement

Post by Dale »

For us green horns, I thought I'd ask a few of the guys here with the years of dedicated, Mopar experience about distributor replacement in a small block Mopar. I've gathered up about as much information as I could on the subject. Though, some ways are different than others. Where I'm at now with the project, is wiring in the primary ignition. The truck again cranks over now!

I have a new key switch, a new ECU has been mounted, and a new ECU harness with the slightest amount of dielectric grease touched on to the new 4-pin ECU. I'm leaning on checking to see if Napa carries a new connector to the distributor connector, and for the sake of having those two routing wires replaced as new also. I already came to the conclusion my current distributor is shot, and that there would not be any logic in trying for fire with out installing my new distributor.

Are there any tips you might like to throw at me for the new distributor replacement?

I'm highly confident in finding TDC, rotor at the distributor cap #1 plug. I'll have to clean up the timing cover marks, as well as on the crank dampener. Dwell is something I'm sure I understand. I once the new distributor is correctly in place, I'd make the ECU connections and plug in the single pick up coil. I'll be so happy when I get spark again! Hope to hear from ya. I'll definitely let you know the outcome!

Thanks, and have a good day!
1971 Dodge W100

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Lets Talk New Distributor Replacement

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Dale wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:44 am
I'm highly confident in finding TDC, .....
MUST BE TDC ON COMPRESSION STROKE - NOT EXHAUST STROKE!

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Re: Lets Talk New Distributor Replacement

Post by Dale »

Thanks👍🏻
1971 Dodge W100