This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Moving Along, And New Stuff,....

Post by Dale »

Hello folks! I now have the floor pans of my 71' W100 in position and ready for welding into place. I'm using a Lincoln Mig 180 with Argon gas, and .030" solid wire. I used Napa Rust prof on the areas of cab and floor pans that I wound not be able to get to once the pans are welded in. Then some primer and a shot of paint in these areas. The pans from Kenny cut down to success!

I recently received my long alluded tail gate lift straps. I got then for free. They sell for $ 40 a side on the net, and that's just too much money. I also got many other parts, and more coming. I got the wires for the headlamp cages and they are like new. I'm hoping for the rest of the wire harness to come. I have beautiful fender emblems for a 67' 100 too. Gosh, how nice it is to have those tail gate lift straps! I'm thinking already about going cross country to get more of the bigger stuff.

Q: Where can I find a new, shiny chrome gas cap for my 71' ? I recently got the complete tank fill neck, but need a new cap. This would be for the factory tank behind the seat.

This winter, I'll finish up on the bed mounts, and get the inside of the cab cleaned and sanded, and cleaned again for paint. Then I'll decide what rout I'm going down on the wiring situation. I'd like to pull the dash and paint that as well. But a professional paint job wants to happen later on down the road when this truck is operational and road worthy. So, I'm not concerned with a rattle can paint job inside the cab at this point, but will look much better in the mean while. Will like to get my new distributor installed, and get this rig started also.

Thanks
1971 Dodge W100

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Moving Along, And New Stuff,....

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

gas cap at any auto parts store. Be sure it is vented. Take yours to match up.

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Post by Dale »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:57 am
gas cap at any auto parts store. Be sure it is vented. Take yours to match up.
I thank you for your reply. I have been around to a couple auto parts stores. And trying to inquire what cap would fit what. I'd like a nicely worn cap that is shinny chrome, basically original for my 71 W 100. Well, the stores don't have a cap on the shelf, I was offered one for $5 and had to be ordered. I think I'll try my luck on the inter screen.
1971 Dodge W100

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Same gas cap 1948-1971

There are caps that fit at Tractor Supply, Fleet and Farm, Co-op, Grange stores... You can also use certain Harley, old Indian and old English bike gas caps.

I got my last 2 at Autozone. First one got stolen at a Mopar show in WA. Second one is still in place 12 years later. My 49 truck has one off a John Deere 1020 farm tractor.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

.030" wire is pretty large for what you're about to do. .023" is the most-often used for sheet metal work. You'll have a lot less burn-through with the smaller wire diameter.

- EM