WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

East Tennessee members?

Post by WD »

Anybody left here? Used to be a few.

How is the car-truck-motorcycle scene these days? Any hassles over modifications? Specifically bumpers, tire width and handlebar height?

Tipton and/or Shelby county plates still a guaranteed traffic stop?

Decent older vehicle mechanics? Any good salvage yards left? Decent machine shops?

Looking to relocate. East of Watt’s Barr AND north of I-40. Wife needs someplace with actual seasons, I need a strong older vehicle scene. MUST be in TN, as there is no state income tax.

We have a potential property picked out, just checking other aspects of the area.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray

Re: East Tennessee members?

Post by Drummerdad »

Im in Johnson City. No hassles with any state regulations, unless you venture into Virginia, and I havent had trouble there myself. Just drive like an adult, youll be fine. No emissions or safety checks which can be good and bad. Lower the car as much as you want, noone cares until you get in an accident. There is a trend starting out west where builders of heavily modded cars are being sued when things go wrong. As far as I know it hasnt made it here yet though.

As for the car/truck scene, its moderate I would say. During the summer I can find a small car show almost every weekend, but you may have to drive a little. Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and Knoxville pull in the big shows, and Im less than 4 hours from Charlotte and 5 from Nashville. Lots of rat rods here....however you feel about that. But we do have some nice cars show up at the big shows. I dont know a thing about machine shops or salvage yards.

Im not "in the scene" yet. Im still working on it. It seems you will have more information about events if you get into the scene and start hanging out with the car guys. A lot of word of mouth car stuff here.

We have great scenery and roads though. Good luck with the relocation.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark

Re: East Tennessee members?

Post by WD »

I know the west TN scene really well. Other than cruise nights, there isn’t one.

We’re looking in Morristown, Rogersville, Bulls Gap and Dandridge areas. Have to be close enough to a decent reservoir for her to justify keeping our sailboat. She likes it, I want to make a reef out of it.

Looking at a 114 acre place as 1st choice. Something large enough to be a cruise in/show host site. For normal enthusiasts, not the trailer queen show car set. 2nd choice is 83 acres, but does not have the ponds/docks of the bigger property. 3rd choice is a 39 acre horse facility, which would be more than sufficient, with less mowing.

We have “normal” vehicles for out of state trips.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...