This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Middlefield
State: OH

Just An Update

Post by Dale »

Well, it's been quite a journey so far when it comes to my 71' W100 and the cobbled up mess its in. I've picked the minds of enthusiasts to learn what it is exactly that I have starting with the drivetrain and axles on this rig. And with the help of a certain Mopar enthusiast, I'm learning quite a lot. I've bought a few correct manuals, books, magazines, and compelled great notes in a dedicated note book. Also, credit to the folks here at Sweptline.ORG for sharing problems that I can read about, and determine if that applies to my issues. Though, there are at least one or two more free-lance manuals I plan to get for the same reasons accredited to this site. There is so much more to be done with my truck, but its like same as fishing to me. I cant wait for the next chance to get out be active! So, that reminds me of my recent catch, lol!

Just got back from out west. There, was the first and only time in my 43 year life that I recall seeing a 71' Sweptline W200 PW roll down the street as if it was second nature. Coulden't believe it! Went to a few junkyards and they sure were stingy with letting go of parts for my rig. Got a set of hood hinges and the hood alignment part necessary for the rear of the hood to align against the back of the firewall. Rather disappointed, but still had my smile on because I did get some parts, and parts are hard to find with out spending so much money. How the hell am I to keep this truck on the road without parts? Geeze!

Well, pretty happy with a friend of mine I had not seen in 23+ years. He'd become a Dodge truck fan, and just so happened that I'd become one now too. He put together quite a collection of rigs. A 54' PW, D5 and 600's, and a just restored '65 PW Ambulance! Among others is a Dodge motorhome with a 440, and a '67 D100 short bed. After shooting the breeze with my friend, and enjoying catching up with the latest, we got to talking about my rig. Long story short, my friend gave me the '67 D100 with front straight axle for nothing! I got a front clip, a perfect windshield, wire harness, tail gate, anything I can use for my 71'! The engine and trans in the 67' are no longer there. Got a good fuel tank with filler tube, and bench seat.....though it will need recovered. But, just happy as a pig in sh#it with all the great parts I got! Quite a difference and outlook as to when I first made any posts here about something I had no idea about. Maybe come a time I can barter what I got for other things I'd like for my 71' rig.

It's been quite a blessing.
1971 Dodge W100

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Just An Update

Post by Dale »

Had to include some new found information about this 1967 D100 I just found. From Hemmings Classic Car publication, in the July 2013 issue by Mike Nessor is an article titled: The Grocery Getter-1967 Dodge Sweptline. Then a subtitle reads: With So Few 1967 Dodge D100 Sweptline short bed pick-ups built, Restoring One Back To Original Was Too Tempting.

The article goes on to claim " According to The Standard Catalog of American Light Duty Trucks, there were only 3,342 short bed Sweptline trucks equipped with a V-8 made in 1967.

I found this interesting, to say the least. Because that's what I got! No engine or trans as I have stated above. I have been parting it out already not knowing this. The truck is in pretty good condition, and not much rust to concern with. The truck color is white, and the bed is good. Now what, lol! Well, even better find for me I suppose!
1971 Dodge W100

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Now you've got two trucks to build. You need another for parts. :lol:

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

One is enough!
On another note, my 71' W is coming along great! I have the driver's side floor pan in place, held in with butt weld clamps, ready to be welded in to place. The passenger side floor pan is being cut to fit, and I have a good start on the project. I got to stop some floor pan cracks in the bench seat mount locations, and bend/adjust, prep for welding repairs there too. Also, a few drilled holes here and there that will get filled in, and ground down. Some small cut-off floor pan pieces will get used for each lower kick panel where the floor pan meets the inside-side of the cab. Then I will need a good, heavy cleaning of the cab, and get some paint or a rust preventive down before the weather gets too cool. Got to get moving!!!!

The fall-winter will bring on projects like finishing the bed mounts, and I'll begin the electrical nightmare. I have plenty of engine work to do after I get my new ignition system installed which includes a o.e.m single pick-up distributor. I'm pretty sure I got this, and will make sure the job is right before I hit the key!
1971 Dodge W100

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Get a harness kit. Unless you are doing a stone stock restoration. Glass fuses are getting harder to find, and vibration kills the modern made Chi-com copies pretty quickly.

I need to swap my harness out. Bought a universal one years ago. Never taken the time to yank old out and install the new one.

Will use my ignition switch and high beam switch. Everything else gets swapped for new parts. HEI dizzy, new radio, new lights/switches, new horn (3 trumpet airhorn), heater and controls, wiper motor with intermittent function...

Will look like a respray of “Grandpa’s old farm truck” AND still outwork modern trucks.

Old trucks are the best trucks. Good luck, have fun, expect issues.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Is there anyone who you would recommend for a new harness kit that I can look into? I do have a harness coming for the electronic ignition system. I think Chrysler started using this system in 1972 and I believe the 1984 stuff still used it as well. I already bought a complete system new, just trying to figure out why my truck has a dual ballast resistor with a single pick up distributor and 5 pin e.c.m . My new e.c.m harness is a 4 pin and have thoughts on just using a single ballast resistor. Hopefully by this winter when I'm ready for the new distributor and wiring, that I'll be well thought up on the matter. Like to hear it run again by next spring!

I did finally get the new floor pans from Kenny cut and installed just today. Made pieces for each side of the cab kick panels where the rust was cut away, and two angle pieces for each underside of the floor pan behind the step wells. A gap might got as big as a 1/4" in a place near the transmission tunnel, but the butt weld clamps drew it down a tad closer. First time I ever cut out floors and put new in! So, I'll be grabbing the gas welder from work as its much better than my flux hobby welder. I did manage to close up some drill bit holes with my welder however, though there must be an art to that as I'm a newby. Got to pull up the new pans to prep for Por-15 in specific areas for both sides of the cab before the welding, and get the whole floor painted before the weather turns cold. I must have put in 17 hours this weekend on the Dodge W100, I'm ready for bed!
1971 Dodge W100

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Dale wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:42 pm
Is there anyone who you would recommend for a new harness kit that I can look into? I do have a harness coming for the electronic ignition system. I think Chrysler started using this system in 1972 and I believe the 1984 stuff still used it as well. I already bought a complete system new, just trying to figure out why my truck has a dual ballast resistor with a single pick up distributor and 5 pin e.c.m . My new e.c.m harness is a 4 pin and have thoughts on just using a single ballast resistor. Hopefully by this winter when I'm ready for the new distributor and wiring, that I'll be well thought up on the matter. Like to hear it run again by next spring!

I did finally get the new floor pans from Kenny cut and installed just today. Made pieces for each side of the cab kick panels where the rust was cut away, and two angle pieces for each underside of the floor pan behind the step wells. A gap might got as big as a 1/4" in a place near the transmission tunnel, but the butt weld clamps drew it down a tad closer. First time I ever cut out floors and put new in! So, I'll be grabbing the gas welder from work as its much better than my flux hobby welder. I did manage to close up some drill bit holes with my welder however, though there must be an art to that as I'm a newby. Got to pull up the new pans to prep for Por-15 in specific areas for both sides of the cab before the welding, and get the whole floor painted before the weather turns cold. I must have put in 17 hours this weekend on the Dodge W100, I'm ready for bed!

5 Pin Dual Ballast ECM was in the 70's up to 1980. 4 Pin ECM Single Ballast was used 1981 to end of production when used in vehicles.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Dale
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dale »

Thanks. I figure I'll wire for the single ballast for my new single pick up coil. The engine and trans in my truck is out of a said 84' Ramcharger. I don't think the wire job is going to be as tuff as time consuming. I'm eager and ready! Fun-fun!
1971 Dodge W100

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Dale wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 pm
Thanks. I figure I'll wire for the single ballast for my new single pick up coil. The engine and trans in my truck is out of a said 84' Ramcharger. I don't think the wire job is going to be as tuff as time consuming. I'm eager and ready! Fun-fun!
Wiring diagram is easy to find on interweeb. :thinking :thinking :salut
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.