Thunderbolt47
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ciney, Belg./Saratov, Rus
State: Foreign

Hello from Europe

Post by Thunderbolt47 »

Hello guys,

I've recently inherited the '68 vintage Dodge Sweptline truck my grandfather had imported from the US to France, and of course, it's in a sad state of disrepair now.
And of course, I figured I should try to fix it instead of getting rid of it or letting it rust in a corner of the family house! But since I don't know the slightest thing about Dodge cars, or about automotive restoration in general, I figured I should find somewhere where I could ask question and learn stuff; and here I am!
I hope I won't ask questions which are too stupid or painfully obvious!

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Re: Hello from Europe

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Welcome
Andy

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Thunderbolt47 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:22 am
Hello guys,
.....it's in a sad state of disrepair now.
And of course, I figured I should try to fix it .....
Are u rich, as in filthy rich?

Thunderbolt47
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thunderbolt47 »

What do you mean by filthy rich, the "two houses, 5-digit monthly salary and three cars" type of filthy rich, or the "Qatari prince" type of filthy rich? I can more or less find myself in the lower end of the first category, but sadly not in the second one, otherwise I'd just order a new Sweptline assembly line from Dodge :lol:

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There is very little sweptline part availability in EU, so what is costly here goes up substantially with overseas shipping and customs fees. Depending on how "fixed" u want to go, and how bad the "state of disrepair" is, you can easily spend upwards of $10,000 here, plus a few thousand hours of your own time.
You can get an idea by looking at sheetmetal repair panels here:
http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/custom-services.html

jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

Post by jimharold »

Hello Thunderbolt47,

First off get one of these: Jim MeGee's Sweptline Restoration CD. He works on a 68' and the pictures can save the day sometimes. They did for me. I to have a 68'. And I too lived in Belgium for 6 1/2 years, in the town of Mons while stationed at SHAPE Headquarters. Loved it, best time of my life. But I did miss my American Muscle cars and trucks. Welcome to the site, these folks know everything and are eager to help a fellow Sweptline guy.

Good luck,
Jimharold

Here's my baby.
parade 2016.jpg

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

Thunderbolt47 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:22 am
Hello guys,

I've recently inherited the '68 vintage Dodge Sweptline truck my grandfather had imported from the US to France, and of course, it's in a sad state of disrepair now.
And of course, I figured I should try to fix it instead of getting rid of it or letting it rust in a corner of the family house! But since I don't know the slightest thing about Dodge cars, or about automotive restoration in general, I figured I should find somewhere where I could ask question and learn stuff; and here I am!
I hope I won't ask questions which are too stupid or painfully obvious!
Welcome! Start a photo album and start documenting, and send us a link. :Thumbsup

I have recently shipped a Chrysler 300 vacuum gauge to Belgium, that I sold on eBay. You can find Dodge trucks and parts in Spain and Turkey of all places. I just bought NOS D100 gauges from someone in Turkey and inexpensively compared to US sellers who want a mint for parts. You would be surprised where they shipped these trucks.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Hi and welcome to the Sweptline forums!! :salut I see by your name you love the P-47 as well as Sweptline Dodges?? OR a fascination of WWII aircraft? When you run into a problem (with Dodges and not Thunderbolts :lol: ) ask away!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jims68 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:25 pm
Hi and welcome to the Sweptline forums!! :salut I see by your name you love the P-47 as well as Sweptline Dodges?? OR a fascination of WWII aircraft? When you run into a problem (with Dodges and not Thunderbolts :lol: ) ask away!
Those "Flying Jugs" were nearly indestructible. They'd sure break up a crowd of
Wehrmacht soldiers pretty quickly. :lol:

Welcome Thunderbolt47... :welcome
If your Grandfather's Sweptline is in need of extensive body, mechanical
and electrical repairs, it would likely cost you one half to three quarters
of the price of a new Peugeot Model 208. As Terry [PwrWgnDrvr] pointed
out... the availability of parts is probably very limited in your region. If
you could at least put the truck in a storage building.... it might buy you
some time to consider all of your options. Does France have a national
Lottery? ..... :thinking :joker
John

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:46 am

Those "Flying Jugs" were nearly indestructible. They'd sure break up a crowd of
Wehrmacht soldiers pretty quickly. :lol:

John

I built (and still have) a plastic 1/48 scale P-47 with Gabby Gabreski's signature on it. I had him sign the wing of the model when he was at a WWII Show in Reading PA.
Jim

Thunderbolt47
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thunderbolt47 »

Thanks to everyone of you for your advice! Right now, I can't really see the car since it's at my family's house in France, while I'm in Russia right now, with my primary address being in Belgium... I know it's quite a mess, but it allows me to afford classic car parts so I'm quite satisfied with this lifestyle :lol: but I should be able to come back there by late April and will do a thorough inspection of the car. And after that, I'll be looking for parts in Spain and Turkey then!

And yes, my username is a reference to the Jug, my father had a huuuuge (especially in a kid's eyes) 1/24 model of it with a detailed radial engine that I loved when I was a child, and it has grown to become one of my favorite planes, along with the Lightning and the stubby little I-16.

And Jims68, that sure is one thing you keep for all of your life! I had only one comparable moment of spending time with the Greatest generation, when a former French partisan taught me how to field strip and reassemble a Sten gun.

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

:welcome

Welcome, and trust me, there are no stupid questions when dealing with Sweptlines!!! Dare to be different!!!
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

Tensinox
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Post by Tensinox »

jimharold wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:49 pm
Hello Thunderbolt47,

First off get one of these: Jim MeGee's Sweptline Restoration CD. He works on a 68' and the pictures can save the day sometimes. They did for me. I to have a 68'. And I too lived in Belgium for 6 1/2 years, in the town of Mons while stationed at SHAPE Headquarters. Loved it, best time of my life. But I did miss my American Muscle cars and trucks. Welcome to the site, these folks know everything and are eager to help a fellow Sweptline guy.

Good luck,
Jimharold

Here's my baby.
parade 2016.jpg
Looks really cool! Congratulations

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

jimharold wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:49 pm
Hello Thunderbolt47,

Good luck,
Jimharold

Here's my baby.
parade 2016.jpg
Who doesn't love the "turquoise" color?? I know I do! Nice photo of your truck in the parade too!! Thanks for the "plug"! :salut
Jim