This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Thirsty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Athol
State: ID

Post by Thirsty »

Hi everybody!

Wanted to drop in, and say hi. Joined up a few months ago, and have browsed through here a bit. I’ve got a 67 D200 that I picked up last summer. She’s going to need a lot of T L C. It sat outside for 12 years, and I don’t know the history on it. The motor is not origional, and it didn’t run when I picked up the truck. I did have it re-built over the winter, and just now got her back. So am looking forward to learning a bunch from you all on here, and plugging away at her a little at a time. I will try to post a couple pics after learning more on how to downsize them. Am using an I-pad, and not real computer savvy. :usa
Ed

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: New member

Post by dodgeboykim »

:welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :Thumbsup :Thumbsup :Thumbsup
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

I wanted to say WELCOME too! Any questions, fire away! Get it running and stopping and then you can do the body work. It's easier when it moves on its own :lol: ! :salut
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Thirsty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thirsty »

Thank you dodgeboykim and Jims68 for the welcome. I’ll definitely be asking questions.

The truck is a D200 according to the VSN Plate on the driver’s side door lock pillar. But it’s four wheel drive. I thought that it would say W200 since being 4x4. And the emblem on the quarter panel only says..Dodge 200. (no D or W) Also the VSN says the truck had a 383 in it, but I found the motor to be a small block 360, 1991 date stamp on the block.

So for starters, I’m trying to figure out what i have. I did find the number on the frame. Is that number supposed to match the VSN? Or part of it? It LOOKS original to me, it has the twin stick transfer case, pto too. and I think the transmission is a np 435.
Ed

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

If you found a 360, then who knows what has been changed/modified. If the serial number begins with a 1 then it is a 2wd cab.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Welcome. :salut

Thirsty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thirsty »

soopernaut wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:38 am
If you found a 360, then who knows what has been changed/modified. If the serial number begins with a 1 then it is a 2wd cab.
Yes it does start with a 1, so that’s cool to know that. The frame number starts with a 2. It’s 10 didgits long, like the vin, but I haven’t found anything to learn the year of frame.
Ed

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The frame VIN is supposed to match the VIN plate on the cab. It appears the cab is not original to the frame. You can run the VIN thru the registry to decode the yr and a few other details for both the frame and the cab.

Thirsty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thirsty »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:20 am
The frame VIN is supposed to match the VIN plate on the cab. It appears the cab is not original to the frame. You can run the VIN thru the registry to decode the yr and a few other details for both the frame and the cab.
When I run the VIN number (the one off the cab plate) through the registry, the info comes up. But I can’t seem to find anything anywhere on the frame number. 2 5 0 9 2 3 0 F 1 4 It says invalid.
Ed

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Thirsty wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:33 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
When I run the VIN number (the one off the cab plate) through the registry, the info comes up. But I can’t seem to find anything anywhere on the frame number. 2 5 0 9 2 3 0 F 1 4 It says invalid.
Welcome to the site. :welcome :usa By the looks of the VIN on the frame, you've
brought us all a mystery to help you solve. That VIN# doesn't look at all familiar to
the '61-'68 numbers I've seen. I'm wondering if someone dropped a '67 D200 cab
onto a later frame. Does your truck have a manual or automatic transmission? :thinking
If its a manual, does it have a hydraulic clutch set up? All pre-'69 Sweptline manual
transmissions were equipped with the hydraulic clutch master/slave cylinders. Keep the
information [and pics] coming. :clap :salut
John

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Thirsty wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:33 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
That frame number is not even close to a Swepty VIN.
If it were, it would be a W500 with a zero cylinder engine built in a truck plant (9) that doesn't exist. There are no letters in the 10 digit VINs, so the F is also erroneous.
Where did you find this number?
Read this for more details on what a sweptline VIN is and how to decode it:
http://www.sweptline.com/hist/vininfo.html

Thirsty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thirsty »

Thank you for the reply’s Hobcobble, and PwrWgnDrvr,

The frame number I found on the drivers side, below the door. That was after wire wheeling the passenger side first, from the front to the back of cab area. Then I did the same to the drivers side. It’s the only numbers I found.

It is a 4 speed manual. Np435 I think, but not certain. I found # C-95712 on the top cover of tranny. Also G2. There is a STD 6x25 on drivers side of tranny. C-96206 on the back of it underneath the yoke. And on the tag on back is C-9573. The passenger side is NP C-96041, and A2. (a lot of numbers on that transmission) And it does have the hydraulic clutch set up.

Have not pulled the TC yet, but it is divorced, a twin stick, or 2 speed I’m thinking it’s called. (I’ve never operated one)

I didn’t take the time to investigate things when I found the truck. It was kind of a impulse buy. Was not looking for a numbers matching, or a real cherry body. I just new I wanted another Sweptline, only this time I was looking for one with the big head lights. 66 - 67 year I think. My last one was a 69 w100 shortbed with the 318, 4 speed.

So I’ve been kinda scratching my head over it since getting it home. (the 360 motor and the 2wd cab) Somebody even added power steering to it. And to do that, they cut the shock mount off of the axle on drivers side, and moved it towards the firewall to make room for the steering box. At least that’s how I see it for now, till I learn more about that part. Thanks for the link to the 61-71 website. I did find a thick book on line yesterday, that was for dodge truck frame identification. The years was 1941 thru 1980. I’ll find it again to be exact on those years, but it might have it. Sorry about no pics yet, working on that too.
Ed

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That's the wrong place for the VIN on the frame, but strange stuff sometimes happens. Nevertheless, it is NOT a sweptline VIN.
The TC would be a NP201.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Thirsty wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:19 pm
The frame number I found on the drivers side, below the door. That was after wire wheeling the passenger side first, from the front to the back of cab area. Then I did the same to the drivers side. It’s the only numbers I found.
Normally, VIN number is stamped on the frame's right side.... up in the
area of the front cab mount and axle. Have you looked there yet?

What is the wheelbase of your frame? If its 122", there are some 2509
series part numbers for 100/200 frames in the parts book. I didn't see
anything matching the rest of your number [230F14] though. Does the
bell housing have its own cross member with a couple of rubber insulators?
If you say the T-case is twin stick..... it could very well be the NP201
which would have been standard in a '61-'68 W100/W200. The LA360
takes a completely different flywheel in terms of its balancing..... so
I'm wondering if someone came up with a different tranny set up or
balanced an A/LA318 flywheel for the LA360? :thinking

John

Thirsty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thirsty »

Hobcobble wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:55 pm
Thirsty wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:19 pm
Normally, VIN number is stamped on the frame's right side.... up in the
area of the front cab mount and axle. Have you looked there yet?

What is the wheelbase of your frame? If its 122", there are some 2509
series part numbers for 100/200 frames in the parts book. I didn't see
anything matching the rest of your number [230F14] though. Does the
bell housing have its own cross member with a couple of rubber insulators?
If you say the T-case is twin stick..... it could very well be the NP201
which would have been standard in a '61-'68 W100/W200. The LA360
takes a completely different flywheel in terms of its balancing..... so
I'm wondering if someone came up with a different tranny set up or
balanced an A/LA318 flywheel for the LA360? :thinking

John
From the center of each axle, it is 128”. Which matches the vin plate too. The right side of frame up by the front axle is the first place I started looking for the number. No numbers I could find all the way to the back of cab, until I found them on drivers side. And the bell housing does have its own cross member with the rubber insulators. The 360 motor looks to be a 1991. It had a roller cam in it. (89-92) I got the motor to run but it had SIX bent push rods in it. Took it to a builder, and he completely rebuilt it, bored 30 over, and balanced everything. The fly wheel was drilled and balanced too, I don’t see numbers on it, but the ring gear is 172 tooth.
Ed

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Did you look at the frame all the way to the right front? Ive seen the numbers way in front of the axle, almost to the front spring shackle. They can be totally invisible behind the rust and grime.
You should also look at that number u found on the left side again. Verify that you read it correctly. Many times the stamping is not good and the numbers are not actually what they appear to be. The first digit being a 2 would be correct for a W, and 10 digits long is correct for a sweptline. The "F" is definitely in the twilight zone.

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

:welcome
Welcome to the wonderful world of everything Sweptline!!!
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

Thirsty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thirsty »

DocsTruck wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:31 am
:welcome
Welcome to the wonderful world of everything Sweptline!!!

I THINK....I may have figured out how to post a pic. Re-grinded on the frame last night, the pic is from the DRIVER’S side, under the door. The letter F seems to be clear, but puzzling since you say there shouldn’t be any letters in the 10 digit number.
DDD2ACDB-8DFD-41B6-9426-5A93A8C78CC9.jpeg
Ed

Thirsty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Thirsty »

Sorry about that DocsTruck, was meaning to reply to PwrWgnDrvr :usa
Ed

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ya, that's CLEAR! No doubt about it. It is not a sweptline era vin so the mystery remains. Maybe a part #? Is it possible it is not a swepty frame?
(Per the decoder, if it were a vin, it would be a 2 ton 4x4 truck with a zero cylinder engine.)