This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Return of the Slant 6?

Post by Wildergarten »

Apparently Fiat Chrysler is setting up to build a new motor with a configuration similar to the Slant 6.

Complete with a turbo!

Wouldn't a way to do a bolt-up with that engine and modern fuel injection be awesome for all the old-Dart Valiant and truck people?
Just think: no points to change or set on that beast. I hated that job. Don't drop the condenser screw!
But when a Slant 6 ran great, there was nothing like it for just about ever.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/is-fiat-ch ... he-slant-6

There is a very cool 17:40 length video introducing the original motor (ca 1959) to service people at the link. I've never seen a "draft tube" for crankcase ventilation. I still hated changing points on that motor.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

jas0162
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: kansas city
State: KS

Re: Return of the Slant 6?

Post by jas0162 »

Thanks for posting. My 61 w200 has the slant six with a draft tube type crank vent.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ive seen lots of draft tubes, incl on my 58 Mercury with a 430 engine.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:28 am
Ive seen lots of draft tubes, incl on my 58 Mercury with a 430 engine.
Do watch the video at the link above. Its general tenor is very thought provoking.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Atmobil
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ler
State: Foreign

Post by Atmobil »

What? An automaker that is considering making a new "fossil" engine? I thought they had all gone over to battery operated drivelines or that may just be that the automotive news we get over here in "electric wonderland" is angled on how everyone is switching over to this newfangled thing they call batteries :lol:

I think it is great news, don't really care that much for the newer vehicles but just imagine that thing being available as a crate engine. Cool to hear news that there is straight sixes in the pipeline again. I read some rumors somewhere that Mercedes was also going to make a straight six again in the coming years :Thumbsup
Gaute Halsaunet

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: fairhope
State: AL

Post by hmaynord »

Wildergarten wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:40 pm
Do watch the video at the link above. Its general tenor is very thought provoking.
e.g., simplified maintenance as an important design criteria for an engine
harris
late 65 (titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3 speed, 3.91
driving it since 12/03/71

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Must be true if its on Fox News. :pale :pale :pale :pale
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

Im kind of surprised . the 3.6 mopar has now is the best v6 on the planet. best mileage and power. keeps winning awards. I have only heard and read very positive reviews for years about it. 300 hp and 32 mpg. they were doing that without direct injection while everyone else numbers were lower with direct injection.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Kaegi wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 am
Im kind of surprised . the 3.6 mopar has now is the best v6 on the planet. best mileage and power. keeps winning awards. I have only heard and read very positive reviews for years about it. 300 hp and 32 mpg. they were doing that without direct injection while everyone else numbers were lower with direct injection.
In what vehicle are they getting 32 mpg, certainly not in a full size truck? Fuelly shows an average of 19 mpg in a Ram. In a full size truck torque is probably going to be more important than horsepower. That horsepower is at 6400 rpm. The torque is 269 lb ft @ 4175 rpm in a Ram.

I have a V6 that is rated at 325 hp @ 5750 rpm and 375 lb ft of torque @ 3000 rpm and also shows an average of 19 mpg on Fuelly.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

soopernaut wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:48 pm
In what vehicle are they getting 32 mpg, certainly not in a full size truck?
Maybe the Challenger? I think they pair it with the ZF8 8spd transmission.
John

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

in the cars they get 32. a buddy of mine is a contractor and has a 3.6 in a dodge 2013 short box 1/2 ton two wheel drive and average 28. he doesn't have to sit in traffic in this county so the driving is ideal for good mileage.
another friend has a dodge journey fully loaded and she drives 80 plus on the highway. total lead foot she averages about the same (26-27) as my buddy with the 1/2 ton.

tkeith
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Antonio
State: TX

Post by tkeith »

This scenario is due to the pending fuel economy regulations that could end V8s in mass marketed trucks. The Trump administration has delayed the impact of those EPA requirements. The hope is a family of inline fours and sixes could reduce manufacturing costs by sharing tooling. The turbo six ought to have torque characteristics that are more suited for a truck than a na V6. There has been an ongoing twin turbo project for the V6, but apparently the engineers aren't totally pleased with that effort. This has been covered on the Allpar site. GM has had some positive reviews on a turbo four used in Silverado. The future plans for the hemi are for limited production higher priced vehicles for as long as there is a regulated market for those type of vehicles. An inline six has half the camshafts and just one cylinder head, one intake manifold - with a relatively expensive crankshaft as the tradeoff. The new engine would be designed to be as compact in dimensions as is practical. I would have liked to see a GM LS version of an inline six, but the GM truck V8s and V6s share more production tooling than a straight six could.

Its as if regulatory agencies are gradually outlawing internal combustion engines.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

tkeith wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:54 pm
Its as if regulatory agencies are gradually outlawing internal combustion engines.
That is exactly it. Nobody wants to pay the freight for electric vehicles, as Elon-baby is startiing to find out. Force will be necessary. The dumb***** like Steyer who went to a confab, drank the kool-aid, and put all his eggs in that "climate change" basket are desperate. Unless something changes, they'll win too, because their cronies own the schools and the media, but that's democracy for you.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org