1970 Dodge Dude camper special

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 1970 Dodge Dude camper special

Post by soopernaut »

Why does it have an amber lens on the side of the bed? It should be red.

crank1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: mora
State: MN

Post by crank1 »

Good eye! I never noticed that but the other side is Amber also thanks. And thanks again for all the help from all of you. I have been driving it around a little and brakes seem ok and it runs and drives great!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

soopernaut wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:16 pm
Why does it have an amber lens on the side of the bed? It should be red.
Yes, that is odd. But an absolute technical reading of the VC could be interpreted to be that amber is required, since it is not at the "rear" of the truck, albeit only by half a foot or so. You will note that trucks on the highway are all amber lights along the side in front of the rear (known as clearance lights). When I have built equipment and had it inspected for registration it has always been required that red clearance lights and reflectors are to be placed right at the end of the vehicle and amber everywhere forward of that.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Here in Texas anything BEHIND the rear axle is red, except for certain vehicles that have amber turn signals.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

crank1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by crank1 »

There was a big camper on it with lights on the side I wonder if the guy changed them

crank1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by crank1 »

I went and checked the parking lights and it looks like they were red at one time but it looks like they are faded from sitting in the sun for so many years

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Yes, they fade and red is what they all came from the factory with.

Bucky, red behind the rear axle but not at the end of the vehicle could cause major accidents when other drivers cannot determine exactly where the end is in the dark. That's just stupid - which is unusual for TX :shame

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:55 pm
Yes, they fade and red is what they all came from the factory with.

Bucky, red behind the rear axle but not at the end of the vehicle could cause major accidents when other drivers cannot determine exactly where the end is in the dark. That's just stupid - which is unusual for TX :shame
No Amber behind the rear axle. Period

Besides a Amber wouldn't show you the end of the vehicle either if it was located in the same spot.

I'm not sure how close to the rear of the vehicle the side reflector/lamp has to be. Look at a 69 Road Runner, that RED side reflector/lamp is NOT on the corner of the rear quarter panel is it? More like 6-8" away.

Show me a vehicle that comes with an Amber lamp/lens behind the rear axle, other than those that had rear amber turn signals.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I'm looking at a picture of a flatbed truck that hangs 128" behind the center of the rear axle. If there are only red side marker lights in that 10+ foot distance it will create serious problems. For example, when passing someone on a multi lane highway, the passed driver could easily merge over and crash into the truck believing the red light indicated the back end. The axle location is totally irrelevant and placing lights based on that is STUPID!
Pics of trucks with amber everywhere except the very end which is red, here:
https://store.ijdmtoy.com/10-Pieces-LED ... 35-015.htm

and here:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDf4y83W0AAcGfH.jpg

video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgQDgYNYjg

and here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwHQpSfJSc

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

You will find the Code of Federal Regulations on the topic here:
Title 49 - Transportation
Volume: 5
Date: 2004-10-01Original Date: 2004-10-01
Section 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004- ... 71-108.xml
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

Glad that you were able to get the pics uploaded, that's a very nice looking truck and you should keep it and drive it for sure.
For what it's worth in regards to the red or amber lights aft of the rear axle, my 68 has amber reflectors on the front fenders in front of the axle, and red reflectors way behind the rear axle on the side of the bed and it is completely original.
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

If you crash into the rear side of a pickup truck when trying to merge/switch lanes due to the color of the side marker lights, you should not be driving period. The only requirement in Wildergarden's link is: "On each side—1 red as far to the rear as practicable, and 1 amber as far to the front as practicable". Newer vehicles don't even require them since the headlights/taillights wrap around to the side.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

It also specifies intermediate sidemarker lamps as amber and 1 required midpoint on vehicles 30' or longer. There is no mention of intermediate sidemarker lights that are red. In the section where red is specified, it only mentions 1 and states as far to the rear as practical.

Bill, I never stated that the issue was with pickups. This discussion is about long trucks and trailers. U must not have ever driven long rigs, in *#%^@ weather and massive traffic where looking in your mirrors to find the rear of your rig is difficult.
If there were red lights NOT at the rear, it would be common to mistake the actual end of the rig when looking for your rear red marker lost in headlights, high beams, road mist, falling rain or snow, wet windows and wet mirrors. Especially the right side!

Show me a picture of trucks on the highway with red markers in front of the rear marker. I don't find one in my internet searching.

mnwebb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St.Paul

Post by mnwebb »

Sweet Dude Truck! Does anyone know if a stripe kit is available aftermarket that doesn't have THE DUDE or the hat on it?

Thx,W

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Very Nice Truck :Thumbsup :Thumbsup :Thumbsup :Thumbsup :Thumbsup
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

oldfrogdiving
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: melbourne
State: FL

Post by oldfrogdiving »

That thing is sweet! check the brakes and drive the crap out of it they can handle it. Just give plenty of space to the vic in front of you!
66 D200 225 uti (ex mil, gone but not forgotten)
71 W200 318 4spd limited slip 67k
89 F250 7.3 idi 61k
87 Dodge Raider 91k
96 F350 4x4 PSD 109K

Bill63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lexington
State: VA

Post by Bill63 »

Very nice - Congratulations on the purchase. I agree with others - just drive and enjoy it. I have a 1963 D300 and drive it regularly without issue (I have just under 35k original miles on mine). Great fun to drive and the money you make on a flip will not replace the enjoyment of driving it and all the ensuing conversations. I often get into conversations about my truck with all sorts of people.

Good luck!

Bill
Bill 63 D300