TKfromZA
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johannesburg
State: Foreign

New member from South Africa

Post by TKfromZA »

Hi all

Thought I'd introduce myself before I start asking away; it's plain manners, right?

Name's Theunis and I am from Johannesburg, South Africa: yep that's right, these beauties made their way to SA as well!!! :Thumbsup As far as I can see they were imported CKD and assembled in Durban with some local parts content, e.g. seat frames, etc.

I just acquired mine, a 1966 model (according to the registration certificate), but looks more like a 1965. Given the time from the US to SA, it might well be as I have had similar model confusions with my previous Ford F100's locally as well.

Anyhoo, pic of my old girl attached: she has had a rough life thus far, having been a farm truck as far as I can see. Also, the usual rust on the pans and rockers is present, but apart from that she is still pretty solid. Locally they seem to have been issued with the Slant Six 225cid as standard; unfortunately the 318 Poly or LA and 383's were stupidly scarce, even in other MOPAR products.

Plan with her is to clean her up as the /6 is still happy, lay a clear coat over her and use her as a daily driver/parts runner and occasional car show participant. I dearly love her with all the scars and there are seriously very few left in SA. I lost a previous one so I am deliriously happy with this one! BTW, the MOPAR badge on the side is courtesy of the previous owner, not me!!! That said, it looks pretty cool as is!

Looking forward to learn a lot and Jim's CD is on the TO DO-list as well!

Thanks all!
Attachments
IMG_5625.JPG
Last edited by TKfromZA on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: New member from South Africa

Post by soopernaut »

The bed on that truck must have been made in SA. It looks more like the 61-early 65 beds we had here, being single wall construction and having a narrower tailgate, but it has no swept line and the taillights are the later version. The late 65 and 66 trucks were pretty much identical so the VIN (serial number) would be the way to tell the year.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

:welcome I was thinking the same thing with the tail lights in the narrow bed. I also wondered if it were an "export" thing. I think it's pretty cool that you were able to acquire a old Sweptline too. I was wondering if the /6 is more prevalent due to maybe the V8 would use more gas? I am not sure, but GOOD LUCK with it and have FUN! :salut IF/when you are interested in the CD, just PM me anytime.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

BigJimG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flint
State: MI

Post by BigJimG »

It is always interesting to see what local changes were made in CKD builds. Even today some of the CKD builds end up with slight changes due to local contenting. They were probably shipped to the CKD assembly plant as cab-chassis combinations (maybe separated, but serialized) with the expectation that the the beds would be produced locally, or some type of alternative would be used like a service bed depending upon orderers preferences.

Anyways, Cool truck, good luck with the build. Stock,slant-sixes are practically indestructible if you keep oil in them, and there's enough performance options available to make things interesting if you wanted to.
'63 D100
Build Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40000

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

:welcome Cool truck with the straight line bed and right hand drive. Lot's of help here for you. :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

What does CKD mean?? :thinking
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

TKfromZA
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johannesburg
State: Foreign

Post by TKfromZA »

Thanks all!!

Jim: will do!

Yeah, I'll start on the VIN plate soon; lotsa good info there. Still need to register as well.

Slant Six: the local F100's and C10's all had i6's, so my guess is that, to compete on the local market with a similar offering', the 'other' brands went with a similar capacity and type of engine. I closed a deal on a '67 International Harvester this week that has an i6 as well, so theory seems to hold true. I have thus far seen 3 x 383's and 2 x Poly's in Mopar products, the earliest being a '66 Monaco with the 318 Poly that I'm taking care of for my neighbour. Really a pity though; would love a 383!

CKD: Completely Knocked Down, in essence like a giant Lego kit that is shipped from factory in crates and assembled at destination with varying degrees of local content.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

From what I've read, until 1968 there were two Chrysler plants in South Africa (Cape Town and Durbin) and they built trucks. In 68 there was a plant in Silverton and all assembly was moved there. Do you know if they built any complete trucks or just assembled them from US sourced parts? The VIN plate on the truck should help determine where it was made.

In 1968 the Government required engines to be locally sourced so the slant 6, 318 and 383 were built in South Africa. The South African brochures I found on ebay show the 318 as an option in the D100. The D200 shows the 318 as standard with no mention of the slant 6, the D300 shows the slant 6, the D400 is 318 and the D500 is 318. I did not find any 68 or later to see if a 383 was available.

BigJimG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flint
State: MI

Post by BigJimG »

'63 D100
Build Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40000

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer