CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Hobart Simons - RIP

Post by CSS-Registry »

hi everyone,

i think everyone here would like to know my dad Hobe passed away on 8/14/2017. it was not unexpected but all the arrangements were/are overwhelming. we plan to hold a burial in Jan 2018 in his home town in Florida.

he and my mom Barbara bought my 1964 D100 HPP new. here is an obit my siblings and i wrote about him:

Hobart Hanahan Simons was born in Williamstown, WV on 2/19/1927 and passed away peacefully in St. Petersburg on 8/14/2017 at 90 years of age. Hobe is survived by his wife of 66 years Barbara Ellen Anderson Simons, his six children Ellen J Osten, Mary F Erickson (Allen), Hobart H Simons II (Laura), K Benjamin SImons (Kelleen), Elizabeth H Quinn (Greg), Baynard George Simons (Leigh), grand children Troy Osten (Ann), Marc Osten, Jamie Hoke (Ted), Pauline Pettay (Scott), Al Erickson, Blair Osten, Katie Simons, Tara Flanagan, Liam Quinn, Hobart S Simons, Erin Quinn, numerous great grandchildren, and several great-great grandchildren.

Hobe, as he was known by anyone he ever met, lived a full life devoted to photography, anything automotive, and sharing a cup of coffee. Hobe is a naval veteran of WWII and the school of hard knocks. After attending Corcoran School of Art he started work for the Naval Ordinance lab as a photographer capturing documentary photos of classified munitions, PR photos, and portraits by day and freelance wedding and portraiture at night. After leaving the Naval Lab he worked in a multi-level Esso service station in Washington D.C. also while doing photography work in his parents subbasement.  He met and married Barbara in 1951 who worked in his father's office at the time. In the mid 50s they had two girls. The late 50s saw them moved to Florida to open a 66 station. In the 60s and 70s they opened a Gulf station while adding to his family with four more kids. His last job was working for Florida Brake & Clutch where he expanded his network of friends by marketing and selling brake products in many central Florida counties.

Hobe took great pleasure in doing things for his children and traveling the US - always in his black Dodge pickup.  The trips gave his children so many good and amazing memories. He treasured in his many lifelong friendships and would drop whatever he was doing to help a friend in need - even if that meant driving to another state. He never knew a stranger and always took great pride in finding common ground with anyone he met.

In lieu of flowers please make a donation in Hobe's name to the Lion's Eye Institute - http://www.lionseyeinstitute.org/ways-to-get-involved/
Hobe 1950
Hobe 1950
Hobe 2010
Hobe 2010
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: Hobart Simons - RIP

Post by Conrad »

Thank you for sharing. What a cool guy and a great dad he was. All the best to you and your family.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Sorry to hear that day has now come to you and your family Ben. It has been an honor to share your yrs long tribute to your parents as u restored the truck, shared details of the long and arduous effort and eventually the moment when you all again rode together in the truck. :clap
Rest in Peace Hobe :salut

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Sorry to hear about your fathers passing. I am no stranger to close friends or family being taken , Some way before their time. You will have your memories and he will be with you in spirit. :pale
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

It's good that he got to see his 64 HPP truck restored.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

So sorry to hear Ben. :pale

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Sorry to hear your loss and thanks for sharing with us.
Andy

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gainesville
State: FL

Post by JohnB »

I'm sorry for your loss Ben. Thanks for sharing the tribute to your fathers life.

JohnB
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Sorry to hear about your Dad! We met in Ohio at the MOPAR Nationals. I remember talking to him about him moving aircraft and then flying one. He got into trouble and I think he said he was asked to not come back too! :lol:

He was a Good guy!
Attachments
MOPAR Nats.jpg
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

So sorry for your loss Ben. Prayers for you and your family.
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Post by exline »

sorry to hear about your dad. its always hard to say goodbye.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

My condolences to you and your entire family Ben.
I know what you're all going through. I'm glad I got
to meet your dad. Truly.... one of the good guys. :Thumbsup
John