This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Dirty530Garage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shingle Springs
State: CA

Unusual and Unloved?

Post by Dirty530Garage »

So I've been perusing the forum for a while and have found quite a bit of useful info, but it seems like the non-CSS/HPP/PW trucks are regarded as lower grade trucks. I know those trucks are special, but I'm having a hard time finding many shortbed 383/4 speed trucks like mine. Does its being a Custom instead of an Adventurer really affect desirability that much? I can't imagine there were more than a few hundred made in '68, in either trim level.
Cole

68 D100 Custom Shortbed 383 survivor

@DirtyFiveThirtyGarage on Instagram

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Unusual and Unloved?

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

CSS/HPP trucks were only made 63-67, all but a handful actually 64-66. They are in their own league as there are less than 100 known in total for all yrs.
Shortbeds are generally more desirable than longbeds, except for working trucks.
Big blocks are more desirable for those who enjoy pumping gas.
W's have their own following that has a use for them.
Customs and Adventurers have more bling, if you're into that.
I have a 70 SWB W100 383, NP445, a 66 SWB D100 CTD, NV4500 and until recently 2 CSS SWB utes. I don't consider my many other trucks to be "lower grade".
Its just whatever floats your boat and makes your socks jump up and down.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Its just whatever floats your boat and makes your socks jump up and down.
:lol:

To me that short bed 383 w/4WD is a very cool truck.

A W100 383 4WD on eBay earlier this week sold in one day - so I know they are desirable. Hell, when Terry told me about what he was willing to part with, there wasn't much needed consideration before I jumped on it.
Last edited by Conrad on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dirty530Garage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shingle Springs
State: CA

Post by Dirty530Garage »

Conrad wrote:
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Its just whatever floats your boat and makes your socks jump up and down.
:lol:

To me that short bed 383 w/4WD is a very cool truck.
I agree 100%! There was a 69 shortbed 383 Power Wagon at a local show last week for sale, but unfortunately it was rusted everywhere it wasn't dented and he still wanted $5500...
Cole

68 D100 Custom Shortbed 383 survivor

@DirtyFiveThirtyGarage on Instagram

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

OK well, then you can drool over the Fargo W100 318 Poly 4spd 4WD on eBay for much more than that - super cool

What I have found, and which is fine by me, is that there are not many of these trucks around compared to Chevys or Fords - and not nearly as popular. Upside is I only talk to the nice people who like my truck - rather than every douche bag who wants an old Chevy or Ford truck. I'd rather talk to the convenience store clerk or the average joe at the park whose grandfather had a truck 'just like that' and then some great stories from their childhood. Much better than 'hey man, how much' - haven't gotten that once.

Oh and my wife loves 'our new-to-us truck', so that's really the bottom line there. She has great taste!