Crew cab swaps on newer chassis? Looking for threads/ links?

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
LAWFISH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: CAMBRIDGE
State: ID

Crew cab swaps on newer chassis? Looking for threads/ links?

Post by LAWFISH »

I am buying this. Its a 1970 sweptline crew cab, short bed. I get just the body, bed front clip with no title. Its sitting on a ford chassis that the owner is keeping. I have always wanted to do a diesel truck chassis swap but recently I have decided I just want a gas truck. I have a 2005 dually diesel one ton and a 2012 one ton diesel, both Dodge obviously as I am not stupid. With no plans to get rid of either diesel I think a nice four door gas rig would be nice. And since I live on 175 acres on gravel roads, I am thinking 4x4. Im still looking for a short bed swepty hotrod project.

That said I just decided this, so I need to check the wheel bases ect and then decide what year and mod gas rig is best that could be had on the cheap.

so in attempt to not reinvent the wheel and use someone else toil and trouble, I am looking for threads, web pages and links to such swaps that may have been done by folks on here?????? Also trying to decide on EFI carb ect.

THOUGHT?????

LAWFISH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Crew cab swaps on newer chassis? Looking for threads/ li

Post by LAWFISH »

If I am correct the crewcab truck with shrt bed is 146 inch wheelbase.

And in checking a club cab dodge truck, say 1997 with a long bed is 154.7 inch wheelbase.

This looks to be the closest wheelbase in a cheaper truck for a conversion from what I am finding.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Here are a couple that I can think of off the top of my head. Both Cummins swaps, but could easily be done as a gasser. Yes shortbed is 146. I have always been a true and blue carburetor guy, but now having a fuel injected 5.2 from a 2000 durango in my crewcab it will be hard to go back to a carb. The driveability and consistency of the injection make it very enjoyable..

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33522

http://s344.photobucket.com/user/Dezel_ ... t=3&page=1
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

gyman98
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Saskatchewan
State: Foreign

Post by gyman98 »

Even if you go with a carb'd truck, FiTech makes some awesome fuel injection kits. I put the dual set up on my Cuda and it runs so nice now

Last edited by gyman98 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

gyman98
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by gyman98 »

Also the 72-93 dodge w250 and w350 with a club cab short box are 149" wheelbase

LAWFISH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LAWFISH »

slick wrote:Here are a couple that I can think of off the top of my head. Both Cummins swaps, but could easily be done as a gasser. Yes shortbed is 146. I have always been a true and blue carburetor guy, but now having a fuel injected 5.2 from a 2000 durango in my crewcab it will be hard to go back to a carb. The driveability and consistency of the injection make it very enjoyable..

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33522

http://s344.photobucket.com/user/Dezel_ ... t=3&page=1
Thanks for the links its greatly appreciated.

LAWFISH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LAWFISH »

gyman98 wrote:Even if you go with a carb'd truck, FiTech makes some awesome fuel injection kits. I put the dual set up on my Cuda and it runs so nice now

What ever I do it will be on the cheap. Meaning what ever gas truck I find it will probably be a salvaged title or similar. I spent years building cudas, ect and recently sold this and my 72 340 cuda. so my days of high buck cars are gone. I MAY find a cheaper muscle car some day but now that Im on a retirement income and building a home out of pocket, that may just be a dream.

being on 175 acres on gravel roads anything nice I would have to enclose trailer to the main road or the rocks would destroy the lower quarters in no time.
Attachments
DSC03000.JPG

gyman98
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by gyman98 »

Nice Cuda! Here's a better picture of mine, I live 1/2 mile off the highway so I feel your pain. I drive about 5mph out to the pavement. Any further and I would have to trailer it out too.