This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Ken17j
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jerseyville
State: IL

1961 Title

Post by Ken17j »

I've been battling with the state I live in for a title for my 1961 D100 regular cab. They're telling me that I have to have it running and drive able so that I can get it inspected. I have it stripped down to bare frame. I'm probably still a year away from having it completed. My worry now is that even if I get it in the shape they want that they will come up with something else. The guy I bought it from cant find the title or put in the effort to help me apply for a lost title. Any ideas? I think an early 60's title and VIN tag would work.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: 1961 Title

Post by MadMC63 »

Georgia told me to go back to the last title holder of record ( and they wont tell you who that is) and have them apply for a lost title. They would then sign it over to the person they sold it to. Then that person would have to register it, apply for a title and sign it over to who they sold it to and so on until me. What a crock!! I was actually going to attempt just that by back tracking all the owners but the person I bought my truck from disappeared into the night, Poof, so much for my plan.
Best of luck.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

In Iowa the inspector came to my garage and looked at a cab VIN and frame VIN for a somewhat dismantled vehicle. Then he filled out some papers. That was it. You may have to go with a titling company rather than government, or move.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I'd refrain from going the illegal route. There are titling companies that can get you a legit title.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

CA is one screwed up state, but at least this is a non issue here.
If u have no title to one of these "old" vehicles, u simply fill out an affidavit that u are the current owner, that the title is lost and apply for a new title in your name. The caveat is that u agree if someone appears with the original title and can prove it was stolen, then u lose the vehicle and it goes back to them. This is only allowed on older, low value vehicles.
Ive done it numerous times, even on a W500 that was still in the system with a non-op status.

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

Wow, I guess it really varies from state to state. My truck was purchased new by my Grandfather and here in Bama we don't need titles for older vehicles. I have never seen a title for the truck. When ownership was transferred to me, which was a gift, all that was required was a notarized bill of sale, that's all.
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom