This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

YOM License Plates

Post by DocsTruck »

Does anyone have a "Year Of Make" license plate on their truck, and if so, how do you go about registering one? I've seen some nice Alabama 1968 truck tags on ebay that look pretty nice. Been thinking about getting one for Old Blue.
Attachments
20160706_152458-1024x576.jpg
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: YOM License Plates

Post by soopernaut »

DocsTruck wrote:Does anyone have a "Year Of Make" license plate on their truck, and if so, how do you go about registering one?
The laws are different for every state.

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DocsTruck »

Thanks. After a thorough search I have found that they basically treat the license plate like a vintage vehicle plate.
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

Ya, and they change a lot too. MA used to be you had to have both plates, but only needed to run one.
Now, we only need one plate. In MA it is considered or registered as an antique vehicle when you run YOM plates and they put restrictions on the use of the vehicle ie [car shows, parades, repair trip] no cruising around or driving to work, running errands, etc. Everybody runs them anyway, but if you ever got in an accident, etc. you better be able to prove your going to an event...........

Check with your DMV they usually have all the rules and regs listed on there websites. MA even tells you what colors for all the years and what types of plates you can and cannot use.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DocsTruck »

Yeah, stipulations on how and when the vehicle can be used is why I didn't want a vintage vehicle tag to begin with. The Alabama DMV website also shows what the tags looked like from year to year also, and the truck tags were separate from car tags. Truck tags had a small "p" on them, but I am not sure if truck tags called out the specific counties like the car tags did. Anyway, I think it would be nice to have a 1968 tag on my truck but I just don't like the stipulations that come along with it. I am currently running a personalized specialty tag anyway and have quite a few months to make a decision about the YOM.
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

In Georgia once a vehicle is registered as an antique it can never be registered as anything else again and the restrictions follow the vehicle from that point forward.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DocsTruck »

Wow, it must be different in Alabama, or at least it may have been different in the past . My Grandmother briefly had a vintage tag on the truck back when the tags were gold with black lettering but changed back to a standard tag when she realized the stipulations that applied with the use of that tag. I remember her saying, "no one was going to tell her when she could drive the truck", so she changed it back to the standard tag. Maybe the rules have changed now. I think I will just keep the tag I have for a while, even though I don't drive the truck much, I don't want the state dictating when I can drive it.
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

MadMC63 wrote:In Georgia once a vehicle is registered as an antique it can never be registered as anything else again and the restrictions follow the vehicle from that point forward.
That is pretty stupid, I thought Massachusetts was bad. We can change it back and forth.
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

DocsTruck wrote:Wow, it must be different in Alabama, or at least it may have been different in the past . My Grandmother briefly had a vintage tag on the truck back when the tags were gold with black lettering but changed back to a standard tag when she realized the stipulations that applied with the use of that tag. I remember her saying, "no one was going to tell her when she could drive the truck", so she changed it back to the standard tag. Maybe the rules have changed now. I think I will just keep the tag I have for a while, even though I don't drive the truck much, I don't want the state dictating when I can drive it.

I feel the same way, but they do reduce your insurance quite a bit if it is registered antique.
I ran a 48 Plymouth with them for a couple of years back in the 80's and a 65 Coronet with YOM plates, but that was it. Ever since I have run regular and vanity.
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc
State: CA

Post by MrMopar »

In California it is $10 more on top of the normal fees with no restrictions.

If you use a set of plates for a 1968 then they are forever a 1968 plate, cannot be transferred to a different year.

The nice thing in California is the YOM goes through 1972 on the trucks where on the cars it is 1969.

Alan
Alan Erland
1967 Plymouth Barracuda
1969 Dodge Polara CHP
1969 Dodge Polara
1970 Dodge Camper Special
www.MrMopar.com

TheMopars
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Burbank
State: CA

Post by TheMopars »

Did this with my 70 F100. Found original blue plates on ebay along with a 70' registration sticker ( you
need both in CA).

The hardest part was getting someone at DMV to do the paperwork correctly. They sent it back to me
4 times because the DMV employee did their part incorrectly. Looks so much better with period correct
plates.

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DocsTruck »

I have found a really nice one for my truck, was thinking about getting it and holding onto it just in case I want to use it eventually. Now I am wondering if Alabama required a front plate and a rear plate in 1968. I can't seem to find any info about that.
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DocsTruck »

Well, I pulled the trigger and got the tag I was watching on ebay. It is in really good condition with no rust at all and is not all dented up. Now I will have a few months until my current tag expires and then decide if I want to continue with the current tag or use this YOM tag. Descisions, Descisions. It's always nice to have options. :dance
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom