This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Oil pressure gauge

Post by MadMC63 »

I'm looking for information. On the 69-71 d series with the oil light the housing is different from the oil gauge housing but what about the wiring? Is the wiring for the light and gauge the same?
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Re: Oil pressure gauge

Post by Noelie84 »

I know that the sending unit is different between the light and the gauge, but I'm not sure about the wiring itself. I would assume it's different since the connections would be different between the back side of a gauge and the back side of a light bulb. :thinking
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

While the wiring isn't identical, it serves the same purpose in both cases, that being to complete the ground circuit.

With a light, the wire acts as ground & illuminates the light when there is no/low pressure. Once there is oil pressure then inside the sending unit the circuit becomes open & the light goes out.

With a gauge the sending unit varies the continuity of the circuit, based upon pressure. The wire just acts as conduit.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I was curious. There's a harness on eBay and when I asked gauge or light I was told same harness P/N for both.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

O.K. I finally changed the instrument cluster housing to one that excepts the oil gauge. The light unplugged from the harness leaving two wires, one white and one black. The black wire was a power source while the white wire went to the oil sending unit for the light. I got a oil gauge wire from Bud which plugged right into my original harness and changed the sending unit and voila working oil pressure gauge. Not very hard at all. If anyone is concerned by the age of this post/ thread it really does take me this long to get things done.
1971 Dodge D100