This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Power steering conversion

Post by MadMC63 »

Is anybody using a power steering conversion kit on a d100 or 200? I would like to know what you think about it? Was it hard to install? Header clearance problems? Loss of turning radius? Did or did not have to alter your steering column?
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Power steering conversion

Post by MadMC63 »

I guess everyone is out riding around enjoying that power steering.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clinton
State: TN

Post by RobertGilliam »

CPP works great. Steering shaft moved about 1/2 in to the right. Simple bolt in.

lightning4x4
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cave junction
State: OR

Post by lightning4x4 »

simple install, little bit if movement to column, wont turn at dead stop , I have more problems with pump swalling ,had a lower column bushing made , satisfied with product

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I was looking at the $500.00 setup. They say it's a bolt in but I wondered if that was truly the case.
1971 Dodge D100

cj7and8
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Milner

Post by cj7and8 »

Have you given up on the factory power assist? I thought you got it working?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

I did get it working and it works pretty well. Driving down the road is reminiscent to a old Furry or Newport with full power steering but sitting still turning the wheels is just a bit harder. A whole hand as opposed to a finger. Waaaaay better than manual but the whole point was to help an old guy maneuver better in tight spaces. Keep in mind I spent the same as the conversion and then had it shipped from Cali to GA. I've had this non working assist for over a year and as time and money allowed I was throwing parts at it for a total investment of around $1300.00. When I posted this question I was seriously considering walking away and not in the post was that the "new" Cardone pump went out about three hours after we got the system working. Was just trying to see how satisfied people were with the conversions and to know whether it warranted further attention on my part.
1971 Dodge D100

Gordo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Gordo »

You might try the search feature. There are several threads regarding conversion using either a Toyota box or a Ford power steering box. These threads are excellent with either conversions giving super driving results. Gordo

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I have the toyota box in my cummins D100. Its a sporty feel, power but definitely not one finger! More like 4 fingers and a thumb.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

Now that I've been using the factory power assist for a little while I'm completely satisfied. Is does everything quite well. While maneuvering I can simply open handed palm the wheel and change directions with little effort. My only complaint is kind of funny, It really is reminiscent to the Fury's and Newports. Now that everything is settled in driving in a strait line is kind of hairy. Breathing on the steering wheel at speed can mean sudden directional changes. Everybody needs a little spice in their lives.
1971 Dodge D100

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That responsiveness was a problem with the design from the get go, so the factory added shims to the axle to increase caster and reduce that problem. Sounds like u didnt do that? They are 5* wedges that bolt between the spring pack and the axle, big side forward. Available at a suspension shop.
Yup, just like the 65 Fury III I drove in HS, weird to think it was only 6 yrs old at the time.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:That responsiveness was a problem with the design from the get go, so the factory added shims to the axle to increase caster and reduce that problem. Sounds like u didnt do that? They are 5* wedges that bolt between the spring pack and the axle, big side forward. Available at a suspension shop.
Yup, just like the 65 Fury III I drove in HS, weird to think it was only 6 yrs old at the time.
When I first read your post I thought it said you were 6yrs old in high school.......I know you're smart Terry but not that much of a child prodigy. :lol: :joker
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I couldn't reach the pedals when I was 6! :lol:

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

You guys are funny!
I do have the shims I stalled. I thought they were for steering return after turning.
1971 Dodge D100