This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Baileyville
State: KS

Re: My tiny house build

Post by facechicken »

I changed the title of this thread.....the wife and I are in the process of getting rid of a bunch of stuff and getting the house ready for sale. Almost done with that and we will be moving into my parents motorhome until the house sells and we get our new one built (which wont take too long after the house sells). The motor home is right about the size that we are building so Terry's idea is going to play out, in a sense.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I envy you.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by facechicken »

I wouldn't envy me just yet. Nothing is built and my house isn't sold yet :lol:

OKCSweptline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City
State: OK

Post by OKCSweptline »

Do you plan on building a shop/garage for tools and vehicles?

I'm not sure if I could live in a tiny house.... 200 sq ft is NOT very big! haha. Good luck with it!!
David
1971 D200 Camper Special
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong."

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by facechicken »

All of my tools and stuff like that are at the dealership I work at. I currently don't have any sweptlines or other projects so probably not going to have a garage. I may build one in the future, but starting out, probably not.

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

i live in a 700sf apartment now and it only feels a little small,
but my shop space is probably close to the same size !

but i have often dreamed of a tiny house in the country for a place away from the city...

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by facechicken »

So the wife and I are looking at another possibility for the design of our tiny house......we are not going to order one from this website (its around $90K to have them build you one and deliver it!)
http://wheelhaus.com/the-wedge-gallery/

We both like the layout of this one but instead of 8X28 this one is around 10X38 and the advantage of not having a loft with low head room, so it will be more to construct and cost

We still aren't sure which one we are going to build for sure at this point, the more tiny houses become widespread, the better the designs and layouts, which makes it hard for us to stick on one design......reality is we just need to stop looking for different designs :lol:

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Somehow..... I see this heading toward a 3 bedroom, two bath Ranch. :thinking :joker

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

facechicken wrote:So the wife and I are looking at another possibility for the design of our tiny house......we are not going to order one from this website (its around $90K to have them build you one and deliver it!)
http://wheelhaus.com/the-wedge-gallery/
I'm guessing the $90,000 doesn't include assembly? The "build" you are referring to is in a factory.

If it was $90,000 completely built, maybe I could put one in my backyard, split my property and sell the portion with my current house. :lol: You can't get a very interesting house around here for that.

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by facechicken »

Hobcobble wrote:Somehow..... I see this heading toward a 3 bedroom, two bath Ranch. :thinking :joker
:lol: :lol: No its going to be a tiny house....less than 400sq ft., its just that every time we look at another one, we find that we like the styling of parts of it and change our original plans.

Hell, the way its going, we will see something tonight and change our minds again :lol: :lol:

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

facechicken wrote:..... The house we are looking at building is 207 sq ft + 110 sq ft in the 2 lofts....
What do you guys think?
U started with just 207' and lofts.
I still think its fool's gold. :shame

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

facechicken wrote:
:lol: :lol: No its going to be a tiny house....less than 400sq ft.,
I see a "1" sneaking in right in front of that "4"..... :thinking :lol: :joker :dance

John

Arne
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Anchor Point/AK

Post by Arne »

My 22x26 cabin is real comfortable, cheap to heat and maintain. Even built a couple of small boats in the living room. Works even better now that the shop is built, and the tools are out there. Smaller works if you have the discipline to keep from gathering gadgets. Sounds like fun anyway.
68 W300 Crew
68 D200 Crew
67 W300
68 D500 parts
Attitude, the difference between ordeal and adventure.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

That wedding ring I put on my wife's hand a few years ago takes up more space than anything I own.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by facechicken »

Well we have our current house listed with a realtor and have had a few people look at it but nothing as of yet

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by facechicken »

WOW has it been that long.....man over a year since I updated this. My house still hasn't sold :pale sitting $15k under what it appraises for.....housing market in the town I live in is *#%^ at the moment....5 houses for sale in my cull-de-sac alone.

But, hopefully this week, I am going to get my foundation dug for our new house :dance . Then a week or so pouring concrete :dance

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

glad to see you posting. good luck with the sale. there has to be a way to stand out among the rest and get it sold! :thinking

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by facechicken »

Hoping the $15k under appraisal will do it :lol: We just lowered it to that...need to get it gone, once it is sold, my new house is paid for :Thumbsup Will be 36 and debt free :dance Then I can start the hunt for my next sweptline......wantin a 4 eye this time I think

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I ended up downsizing since you last posted here. I bought a 768 sq ft open floor plan house with a small 50x100 yard. It is much better for me. If I had anyone else living with me I'd have to go bigger.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Auburn
State: AL

Post by SteveH »

I read though this whole thread with interest.
The tiny house thing is really in the news a lot, and it never really appealed to me aside from the novelty factor.

But....when the wife got a job as a professor here in Auburn,...a job she really didn't think she'd get anyway,...we had to make the move. I took it slow not wanting to "bet the farm" on a new job. Got her an apartment and she commuted back and forth on the weekends for a year (2 hrs 45 mins one way...)

After a good annual review it's was time for me to step up and do my part. I told her the fastest way for us to get here would be to build the shop first, (priorities right?) and put a small apartment above it. We found five acres with a two acre pond and proceeded to build just that...a 54 x 26 two story shop with ten foot ceilings on the first floor. We were able to do this out of pocket and the plan was to sell the old house once we got all our junk moved. It took a year of weekly trips with the old F250 (333,000 miles now) and a single axle trailer but we finally got everything into the shop and the storage half of the upstairs. The apartment is 520 square feet and we've been in for almost a year now.

The old house sold last month and with that money we're starting the real house, but it's gonna be smallish too, just a two bedroom but with a huge kitchen and "great room" all right next to the pond.

The city had no problem with us putting two residences on the property but one has to be "primary" and one has to be "secondary". And the rule is that the secondary can only be 30% of the primary in size. I guess they don't want anyone to put two huge houses on one lot. ANyway,..the plan for the real house was of a size that dictated the apartment could only be 520 square feet in order to qualify as the secondary residence after we build the real house.

So,...been living in what is essentially a one room studio apartment, me, the wife, and our six year old boy.
I like it more than I thought I would. You make the most of the space you have, lots of shelves, and we bought some old school lockers and painted them up nice and they make great storage space for everything.

Good luck with your build, and I"m glad to hear you're going ahead with the foundation and getting started even though your old house isn't sold yet. Everything you can knock out from money you have on hand now is going to benefit you immensely when the old house sells. Then you'll have more money for the final push, as well as stopping the ongoing costs of the old house,...it's like "found money" at that point.