This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
bbishop
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Registering / Inspecting a 64 in Texas

Post by bbishop »

Just moved back to Austin, Tx and have to register/pass inspection on my 64.

I'm in a county (Travis), that requires emissions, but it looks like I don't have to do the emissions test due to the age of the truck, can anyone confirm that?

Does anyone know if registering as a classic or antique affects the inspection process? If it's a one of those two, does it still need to pass inspection?

Finally, does anyone know or know where I can find the minimum braking requirement for the brake test? It looks like they are supposed to use a decellerometer (not sure how to spell it), but I've just seen them use lines on the road in the past.

Thanks!

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston

Re: Registering / Inspecting a 64 in Texas

Post by Txas2step »

No emissions test. They will check the horn, blinkers, wipers, lights. Best to find a small shop. I have a muffler shop that inspects my trucks....he pulls them in and puts the stickler on the windshield. Spends most of the time asking me about the trucks. :lol: :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

skyrodder666
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Angelo/Manvel Tx.

Post by skyrodder666 »

I've always registered my trucks as antiques here in Texas. Normally this would allow you to circumvent the whole inspection process as vehicles registered as antiques do not require inspection. But since you're from out of state then you will actually need an inspection just to get your truck registered. You'll have to have what's called an out of state inspection certificate on you whenever you go to the DMV to register your truck. Now this is where my knowledge gets a littler fuzzy. The one experience I've had doing this exact process with a truck I bought from out of state, the inspector made me add seat belts (even though they weren't standard equipment on my '62). Now I've heard I should have stood my ground and thrown the book at him so to speak because it does state that you don't have to have them if the vehicle didn't come with them. I went ahead and added them and my truck passed just fine. Also if I remember correctly if you intend to register your truck as an antique in this case your truck only has to pass a safety inspection(even in an emissions county). This happened to me as I was in there Houston area at there time.

Now there are certain restrictions they place on vehicles with antique tags. You're not supposed to drive them more than 2000 miles a year, you're only supposed to drive them to and from car shows, and to and from being serviced or worked on. Now I've had several trucks registered as antiques and have never had a problem driving them more than that. So if you're not too worried about something like that then registering as an antique is definitely there way to go. In addition the registration for antiques either lasts 5 years or is prorated accordingly. That means that you pay $50 and some change for 5 years or $30 and some change for 3 years so on and so forth.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me and I'll shoot you my phone number if you have any more questions.
1920's Dodge Bros. Touring Car Project (Destined to have a turbo 225 /6)
1920's Dodge Bros. Half a Touring Car Project

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls

Post by 712edf »

http://txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/inspect ... teria.aspx

Here's some info, but check out the whole website not just that page.

Vehicles with the "classic" plate designation need inspections. Vehicles with "antique" plate designation don't. But as stated above, bringing in an out of state vehicle probably will require at least an inspection for the initial registration.

I think the emissions testing doesn't apply to vehicles older than 24yrs.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

bbishop
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin

Post by bbishop »

Guys, thanks for the help on this. Hopefully I'll get it registered here in a few weeks and be legal. :Thumbsup