This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Pioneer Chainsaw P26

Post by Jims68 »

63d100sixer wrote:How appropriate. I am working for a guy that had me rebuild the carb on his 65 Chevy truck (later monojet).

After being impressed by my workmanship, he wanted me to check out his old chainsaw. It just happens to be a pioneer! All I know is it says "easy arc" on it. No model number. He does have a manual with it, but it is oil soaked.

I tried to get it running, but it's not accepting gas. Gas "seems" to flow well from the lines. And if I "drip" gas down the carb, she will run.

Is there a place I can get a carb kit for it? Do I need to know the specific model? It looks like the one pictures above. Yellow, and made of metal. Very very heavy! Haha

Look underneath the saw. There should be a label with the serial number on it. "MAYBE" that gives the model number? I'll have to double check mine to see if that gives a clue of the size. It also has the year it was made. I found out that mine was made in 1979.

As to the "Easy Arc Starting", that means it has a compression release to make the starting pull easier.

Sounds like you have a cracked fuel line where it is falling off the nipple. Also, for the kit listed below for the P26, the RK-14U kit, you can find them on Ebay VERY EASY.

As for the P26, check out this page which shows the carb is:
CARBURETOR: Tillotson HU-15E series
MAJOR REPAIR KIT: RK-14HU
MINOR REPAIR KIT: DG-2HU:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e ... enDocument
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

63d100sixer wrote:Do I need to know the specific model? It looks like the one pictures above. Yellow, and made of metal. Very very heavy! Haha
I found the tag and mine has the model number, serial number and the year it was made. Mine was made in 1979 SO, Even if your model numbers are worn off the sides the model number IS on the tag underneath the chainsaw.
Jim

63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by 63d100sixer »

Thanks!

The next time I'll be over there is Friday.

It's actually pretty cool, because he has the original case and everything. He was using the saw up until about 5 years ago (he is 86 now).

I want to get this saw going for him. He bought it new way back when...
Kevin. Loyal dodge enthusiast since I could hold a wrench

Put your seat belt on. I'm gonna try something
1968 D200 318 727
1972 D100 360 4 speed
1973 d100 318 727
1973 W100 440 727

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

63d100sixer wrote:Thanks!

The next time I'll be over there is Friday.

It's actually pretty cool, because he has the original case and everything. He was using the saw up until about 5 years ago (he is 86 now).

I want to get this saw going for him. He bought it new way back when...
That's pretty cool he bought it new and still has the case for it too! Let me know how you make out with it! Inspect those fuel hoses carefully for cracked, or "weak" ends. Could be sucking air
Jim

63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 63d100sixer »

I had the fuel hose off. I had pulled the carb to clean it out (bunch of sawdust was in there). The hose still seemed very soft and flexible. When I tilted the chain saw up/over, gas came out. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a crack somewhere. They looked original. Black and red I think I remember.

For anyone else removing the carb, take the 2 diagonal screws out first (for the choke housing). Then twist the choke housing up and away to disconnect it from the choke "knob". I removed the rubber grommet around the choke knob for a little extra wriggle room. Probably not necessary but helped me.

Then you can undo the other 2 screws and lift/twist the carb off the accelerator linkage.

Now I can't wait to get back over there. I may just go to hang out with the guy. He is pretty awesome really!

1968 D200 318 727
1972 D100 360 4 speed
1973 d100 318 727
1973 W100 440 727

63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 63d100sixer »

Here's some pics. Sorry it took so long. I'm down to 1 day a week with this gentleman.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

1968 D200 318 727
1972 D100 360 4 speed
1973 d100 318 727
1973 W100 440 727

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Looks like a model 1073 and also maybe that is a 16" bar?? :Thumbsup Thanks for posting the pics!! NICE case too!

I found this page for you at that same site and it looks like it has the same carb as mine does. Also you should be able to find a carb kit for it on Ebay at least.

SEE BELOW:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e ... enDocument
Jim

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Turns out that the Oregon Chains do NOT fit my saw. I tried the H72 for the 18" bar and that was a little too long. Then, I looked closer at the bar and seen it had a 16 on it. So... I figured it was a 16" bar. So, I ordered a H66 chain and guess what.... too short!! I counted the drive links and found that mine has 69 DL on the chain. :banghead Nothing is easy.... Seems OREGON does NOT make a chain for MY saw. I DON'T really want to order one online as then if it is wrong, i have to pay shipping to return it. So, I had bought the last two from Lowes for ease of returns (just in case). I guess I can take it to a mower shop. We don't really have Logging supply places around here in NJ.
Last edited by Jims68 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gainesville
State: FL

Post by JohnB »

Jim,
Try this place: http://www.loggerchain.com/

The 16" bar has 66 drive links and the 18" bar has 72 so not sure what the story is with your saw bar.

John
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

JohnB wrote:Jim,

The 16" bar has 66 drive links and the 18" bar has 72 so not sure what the story is with your saw bar.

John
After I posted on here yesterday (but before I read your post) I found on the OREGON website that "some" Pioneer bars have been found to have chains with 69 Drive Links.

It says: Count drive links on 16" - several cases with 68-69 dl (poss 17" bar) That was the FIRST time I seen THAT page!

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/looku ... LangId=ENG

I went to the LOGGERCHAIN.COM site and they specifically show a chain that has 69 drive links, .325 chain and .050 bar! So... I will contact them and see what happens. THANKS for that link!! Looks like this LOW KICKBACK chain is the one I would use: 20BPX069G Oregon 18" chain .325 pitch .050 gauge 69 DL
Jim

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

JohnB wrote:Jim,

John
John, I did go to http://www.loggerchain.com/ and ordered a 21BPX069G which is the Low Kickback type. My original Pioneer bar says: 16-058-325 and the ORIGINAL chain has 69 Drive Links and most links are still "readable" and each have 58 325 stamped on the links. The center cutting link in the photo you can "almost" make out the word PIONEER on the link... but it doesn't show up too good here in this post due to me "shrinking" it for the website. THIS 21BPX069G chain I got and it fit my old Pioneer perfectly!! JUST LIKE NEW!! Nope... haven't cut any wood yet, but I'm READY! :clap

NOTE: Loggerchain.com claim this is for an 18" bar! :thinking

http://www.loggerchain.com/21BPX069G-Or ... PX069G.htm
Attachments
325 058 links.jpg
Jim

JohnB
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gainesville
State: FL

Post by JohnB »

Glad that site worked out for you Jim.
1970 W200
318, NP 445
Factory LU-2 winch
A/C, HD Gauges

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

63d100sixer wrote:How appropriate. I am working for a guy that had me rebuild the carb on his 65 Chevy truck (later monojet).

After being impressed by my workmanship, he wanted me to check out his old chainsaw. It just happens to be a pioneer! All I know is it says "easy arc" on it. No model number. He does have a manual with it, but it is oil soaked.

I tried to get it running, but it's not accepting gas. Gas "seems" to flow well from the lines. And if I "drip" gas down the carb, she will run.

Is there a place I can get a carb kit for it? Do I need to know the specific model? It looks like the one pictures above. Yellow, and made of metal. Very very heavy! Haha

That's handy for chewing through logs, though. I have an old McCulloch PM610 that I'll occasionally use for cutting big stuff down to stove length. The extra weight really helps it eat through a good thick log, even better than the Husky 51 that is my primary saw. That McCulloch's a loud smoky fuel hog, though, so I generally only use it on the really big stuff.

Keep us posted on how your saw cuts, Jim! I see old pioneers show up in Craigslist every now & then for short $$.
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Noelie84 wrote: Keep us posted on how your saw cuts, Jim! I see old pioneers show up in Craigslist every now & then for short $$.
I cut down MOST of a Maple tree today. I had already cut "some" of it down before using a BOW saw just to get some of the branches off that were hanging on the phone wire going by my house. The tree did NOT have any leaves on it and was completely DEAD; as it died out last summer/fall. That saw with the new chain was GREAT!! It just cut through the wood like a hot knife cuts through butter! I kid you NOT! BEST saw I've ever used! Well.... to be honest; I've owned a few junky 2nd hand chainsaws that the chains were never sharp and they never ran that good. The only thing is, this saw is not as "safe" as the new ones they make today though. I ran almost one tank of gas, but needless to say, due to the heat today (about 90) I WAS OUT OF GAS, so I quit. I have all the branches by the road for the Township to grind up and some thick logs for someone to take (I Hope). I saved some smaller 4"-6" stuff so I will have some firewood for when we go camping. I still have the trunk to take down and that is about 6-7 feet high. I am not sure, but I may cut that down in a couple of sections. I also have to rake up the 1.5 billion sticks that broke/snapped when the BIG branches I cut off hit the ground, but at least that is probably the easiest thing to do though...
Jim

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Noelie84 »

If I lived closer I'd take them off your hands. I heat primarily with wood, so I'm always on the lookout for those curbside logs. Trouble is, usually they're pine. :lol:

But, you're a little far away...

Glad that Pioneer made short work of that tree for you, though!
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

Glad the saw is working for you...you should try a MODERN saw one of these days and see the difference. I was up in the woods behind the house this weekend removing some maple trees blocking our DirecTV signal. My ten year old MS290 Stihl Farm boss just keeps on going...and I can maintain it locally.

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Noelie84 »

Shrug. I think he was just looking for (another) antique project. Jim's kind of an antique addict. Ask him about his collection of old things that convert gasoline into exhaust and he'll make you very, very jealous very, very quickly.

But I agree, modern saws are nice. If I had to choose one saw to have between my McCulloch and my Husky 51 I'd take the Husky every time. It's lighter, quieter, more fuel efficient, and parts are a lot easier to source (I haven't needed any other than bars & chains and spark plugs and air filters, though). Although I've had it for nearly 20 years now, so I'm not sure how 'modern' it still is :lol:

RossJonnes
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Atlanta
State: GA

Post by RossJonnes »

I need to know which product is the best from the ones listed on the site? https://onlychainsaw.com/best-electric-chainsaw/

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Post by Wildergarten »

RossJonnes wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:09 am
I need to know which product is the best from the ones listed on the site? https://onlychainsaw.com/best-electric-chainsaw/
I wouldn't touch any of them except maybe as a topping saw or for carpentry work. The only electric saw I have is on a pole. It's gonna be a looooong time before an electric saw touches an 044 or MS-880.

As to whether they are more environmentally sensitive, well, I'm not a big fan of lithiium mining.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

I also bought one of those "pole" saws/trimmer units. It's nice, but not something that I would use for cutting a lot of wood. Then again, it's a small saw for small jobs. NOT intended for HUGE firewood cuttings. Then again... the electric saws today are probably like anything else. They have battery powered 1/2" impact guns for heavy duty work... which I never thought those would be any good.

Mine is the CVP41810 Saw Trimmer I bought at Walmart. But like I said, I just use it for doing some cleanup trimming.
Jim