This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
midwestrider01
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bodarc
State: KS

New here, from KS... '65 D200

Post by midwestrider01 »

To start, can anyone tell me how to attach pictures??? Keeps tellin me the attached photos are too big...

Anyway... Ive always loved the Sweptline pickups, and regret not jumpin on the first one i had the chance to buy ('67 D100 with a 318ci). So about 6 months ago I purchased a 1965 Dodge D200 flatbed, slant 6, 727 torqueflite auto with shifter in the dash, from a buddy at work for $500. It sat for 3-4 years under a tree in his back yard. It started out as an Air Force fire truck until the airport in Lyons, KS got ahold of it. But after a new battery and about ten cranks, the ol' Leanin Tower of Power woke up from its hibernation. Ignition timing was way off due to his non-mechanically inclined son messing with the distributor. I got it home and went to work.......

Cleaning and Cosmetic--- I started with cleaning out the cab cause it was filthy. Used compressed air to blow out the dirt and dust after pullin out all the trash and useless junk (baby blanket, pillow, random drill bits, weather stripping, etc). There was a rear facing auxiliary light i removed from the headache rack. I swept the bed off and threw away alot of junk from on the bed as well. I decided to remove the large mirror brackets since the passenger side mirror was gone and the driver side was not functional.

Mechanical--- The truck had a new reman alternator installed before it was parked, with a new voltage regulator. But something wasnt quite right. The field wire got all 12V with the key off, and only 0.18V with the key on and engine running. Instead of going thru the crappy Chrysler charging system, i went another route. I installed a Delco Remy alternator and rewired the system. Signal wire w/ idiot light goin to the key switch, and main charging wire goin to the positive terminal on what looks to be a relay/junction block on the inside of the driver front fender. Now, when the key is on with engine off, the idiot light comes on like a battery light in a newer pickup dash, that goes out with the engine running (unless it stops charging). Installed a reman distributor and half-assed set the timing to where it ran better than when i bought it. Removed all unnecessary wiring from under the hood and dash, and tucked remaining wires out of sight.

Plans--- I plan on goin with a dark maroon paint for all of the body, except black on the cab roof and front grille. Will take the front bumper to a chrome shop to make it purdy. Under the hood with be a mix of black, white, and metallic blue, to add alittle color other than the maroon on the outside. Will add Peep mirrors to the doors to make it look alittle cleaner. She still needs U-joints, rear diff pinion seal, valve adjustment w/ gasket, tranny flush, timing and carb tuned, brake light switch, turn signal circuit, etc. But its a slow goin project.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for having me! Hope to hear your opinions and thoughts.
--- My Rides ---
1965 Dodge D200, old Air Force fire truck
1998 Ram 3500 Cummins dually
2001 Suzuki Volusia 800

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Re: New here, from KS... '65 D200

Post by cudajimmy »

Welcome! You aren't all that far from some of us. There are a few of us in the OKC area, there in one guy from Winfield Ks. if he's still around.

Keep us posted on the swepty! :salut
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

midwestrider01
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bodarc

Post by midwestrider01 »

I believe thats either the guy i bought it from, or his buddy that was helping him mess with it. They had planned to do a 4wd conversion with it. I actually work in Winfield.

Id be surprised if it was someone else. Ive only seen 3 others in my area. One was the '67 i almost bought, and the other two were fully restored in Wichita. I like havin a rare piece of history though. Id rather own this than the way-too-popular '57 Chevy haha
--- My Rides ---
1965 Dodge D200, old Air Force fire truck
1998 Ram 3500 Cummins dually
2001 Suzuki Volusia 800

jagee94
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: leavenworth

Post by jagee94 »

Welcome, I am in Leavenworth county. I have 4 sweptlines, one for parts. There are a lot of us out here.
James

Worden18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Altura
State: MN

Post by Worden18 »

Congrats on the purchase; can't wait to see some pics :lol:

Best way to post pics here is to start a photobucket account...download the pics from your computer to your photobucket page, then you can copy/paste them here when you post :Thumbsup
Have fun today, you might not be here tomorrow

jagee94
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: leavenworth

Post by jagee94 »

I found a 67 d100 at a salvage yard. it is in Kansas city Kansas. It is called Muncie U pull I believe. I took the wheels and a recovered seat. All on 1/2 price day. There is still a good bed and drivers door, gas tank, some front end parts. They also have about 100 cars from the 60s and 70s along with late models. Just thought you might need some parts.
James