This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
hillbillybuddha
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sacramento
State: CA

714 heads

Post by hillbillybuddha »

Went to the junk yard today and picked up a set of 714 heads from a 91 dodge truck. Was looking for a set of 302 heads and thought I had found them: 5 bolt valve covers; 91 dodge with a 5.2L. Wasn't until I got them pulled that I noticed they oil through the pushrod and have roller lifters. So what are the deal with the 714's? All Google says is that they are late model 302 castings but they seem more like early model magnums.

Also, I grabbed the Lifters and pushrods, so what will I need to make these work on my LA318?

Thanks
Hillbillybuddha

hillbillybuddha
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: 714 heads

While looking for more 714 specific info, the guys at Hughes have it listed as a magnum but here are some of the differences I've noticed, 5 bolt valve covers, the rocker arm assembly is the older shaft type exactly like the LA style. I haven't checked for head bolt pattern directions but I believe it is the same as my LA318, and (I found this really interesting) the 714 has both the pushrod oiling and the earlier style oiling as well. I haven't measured the valve size or valve stem size.

I'm wondering about putting the Magnum roller rockers on these heads and I'd love to hear your opinions on that. Do you think that using both oiling options would add to much oil to top of the heads?

Thanks
Hillbillybuddha

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Post by FlyingEagle »

Can't help you, but would like to here what you find. So the older LA318 oils through the shaft? I'm new to Mopar & haven't pulled mine apart.
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die

hillbillybuddha
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

I too am new to mopar but seems that the LA heads oil through the a hole in the heads and the newer magnum (I guess starting worth the 714 heads) oil through the pushrods.

I will be driving down to California for the next couple of days so I won't be able to look at the heads any closer until I get down home.

Hillbillybuddha

hillbillybuddha
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Flying Eagle, just reread your comment, yes the LA engines oiled through the shaft.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

The 714 is a standard magnum head. You can't use both oiling methods, nor would you want all that oil up top. I haven't done the swap but, guys have over on abodiesonly. I've looked with interest at many of their posts. You will need adjustable push rods to get the length right and you have some bolt mounting issues to contend with. Look around there is loads of info about the swap. Keep us posted. Craig

hillbillybuddha
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

So, out of curiosity, what makes them standard magnum heads? Everything about them looks like 302 heads. Bolt holes, shaft valve train, oiling through the head, are all 302 style. If you were handed a 302 and a 714 head, besides the casting numbers, how could you tell the difference? I'm really curious.

Hillbillybuddha

hillbillybuddha
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

More info I found over at forabodiesonly forum courtesy of TXSTANG84

"Small chambers, runners, shrouded intake valve, fast burn chambers. They can be ported just like any other 318 head...if you're interested in that, look up Hot Rod's older article where Steve Dulcich ported a similar set out to 340/360 size runners, cut the seats for 1.88/1.60 valves, unshrouded the intake, and shaved them down to 57cc. They netted like 370 from a 318 with an off the shelf Comp cam, and some modest bolt-ons."

"stock valve sizes are 1.78/1.50, can be taken out to 340/360 2.02/1.60 if you want, but it would be silly to take them out past 1.88 intakes because of all the grinding you'd have to do to blend the bowl and the small ports would still be your bottle neck..."

moparlee
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Joplin
State: MO

Post by moparlee »

I realize this is an older thread, but my 91 LA 714's do have hollow pushrods....but had regular LA rockers....and the block had rockershafts and still oiled like a regular LA motor.

The block had the Magnum motor mount embosses like the early Magnums. FYI the 96 and down Magnum block had the provision for LA head oiling. This motor was from a van by the way.

By laying 302's beside the LA 714's the intake and exhaust ports look smaller....kind of a trip.
If you were to cut my throat the only thing that would run out is MOPAR!