This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dallas
State: OR

lifting clarification questions

Post by 66militaryd200 »

Alright so I have some questions that I need clarification on. 1. Ive seen that 4"(for lifting) is when you have to start doing steering geometry changes. Does that mean at 4" you have to change stuff or, anything over 4" you have too change stuff? 2. Ive also read that to get 4" lift you have to get a 6" lift kit due to it being two inches shorter than what they advertise. Is that for any one specific brand or just any lift kits and which kinds of lifts does it effect(like shackles, springs, ect)? 3. Is there any brake lines or anything else that has to be extended with an extra 4"s? 4. Lastly is there a specific type of lift (springs, add a leafs, shackle systems) that you guys would recommend and by what company?
Dont really want a body lift but am pretty solid on something around 4"s for my truck. Was also gonna look into a steering stabilizer setup too and new shocks. I also dont mind the ride quality of my truck as ive actually grown used to it. So wwhat do you guys think? Any input is welcomed! :Thumbsup
Thanks!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: lifting clarification questions

Post by Hobcobble »

Refresh our memory on your truck.....
Is it still a D200 or have you converted it to 4wd?
John

66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66militaryd200 »

I have three trucks haha the one in question however is a 63 w200 with poly 318 bored .40 over .10 over rods and main bearings, 2bbl carb, 4spd np420, front and rear 410 gears, anti spin rear diff, 1/4" thick plate steel skid plate that I made at school in shop class, 36.5x12x16 radial buckshot mudders (old school type), front and rear axxles have new brake hardwareand seals and bearings that I did, new oil in everything, pto winch, new front drive line, bad old truck never got stuck except when I ripped the front drive line in two haha
Attachments
Ignore the wires going intl the hood it had a bad alternator but I replaced it
Ignore the wires going intl the hood it had a bad alternator but I replaced it

66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66militaryd200 »

Definitly painting the mirrors a different color and the road outlaws sticker is this truck club at our school

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

66militaryd200 wrote:Definitly painting the mirrors a different color and the road outlaws sticker is this truck club at our school
I'm not an expert on this topic, but do own a few W Series Sweptlines with both
standard and large closed knuckle D44 front axles. If you go up 6" to "settle" at
4", you will have a significant angle change on your drag link. This can introduce
the potential for bump steer or "death wobble".... :pale You might want to run
your plan by some 4x4 shops in your area. A steering stabilizer doesn't cure this
problem.

Does your state have any laws regarding blocked vision for windshields? It seems
like you'd have to rest your chin on the dashboard to see underneath that decal. :thinking :lol:
That truck sits up pretty nice as it is.... Looks tough! :clap :Thumbsup
John

66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66militaryd200 »

Hobcobble wrote:
66militaryd200 wrote:Definitly painting the mirrors a different color and the road outlaws sticker is this truck club at our school
I'm not an expert on this topic, but do own a few W Series Sweptlines with both
standard and large closed knuckle D44 front axles. If you go up 6" to "settle" at
4", you will have a significant angle change on your drag link. This can introduce
the potential for bump steer or "death wobble".... :pale You might want to run
your plan by some 4x4 shops in your area. A steering stabilizer doesn't cure this
problem.

Does your state have any laws regarding blocked vision for windshields? It seems
like you'd have to rest your chin on the dashboard to see underneath that decal. :thinking :lol:
That truck sits up pretty nice as it is.... Looks tough! :clap :Thumbsup
John
I thought some one had came up with something to correct that with blocks or something for the drag linkor I might be thinking of something else.. how have people gotten around It? i got a good mechanic shop that I know of Ill stop by there after school, really no pure4x4 shops nearby.. and I guess Oregon doesnt for the decal. so far no problems :lol: when I put it on, I offset it tl the passengers side alittle too. And thanks!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

There are a few lifted trucks in the build threads section. Perhaps you can see what methods they used.

W20071
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntsville
State: UT

Post by W20071 »

Like the old saying goes, if it's worth doing then it's worth doing right! 4" springs are usually a little over 4" to allow for settling, but, i don't know of anyone who makes springs for a 63. Ones for newer trucks can be made to work, but the 68 and earlier PW.s sat higher than most, so 6'' is probably what you will want to get 4" on yours. If you go more than a couple of inches, at the very least you will need an adjustable drag link or it will not turn all the way to the left. A block between the steering arm and knuckle could be used to help also, but that is not an ideal fix. Check out the topics here on the crossover steering setup many of us have done. It may be a bit more work than you bargain for, but you will be much happier in the end. By the way, Shouldn't the sticker say OFF Road Outlaws? :lol:

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

No way to use steering blocks with the closed knuckle axles- the way the axles are designed is completely different that later open knuckle dana 44's and dana 60's. The steering portion of a lift on a sweptline is typically the biggest challenge- when I put 8" skyjacker springs under my '67 I had a factory drag link cut and reworked into a gusseted "z" pattern by a local shop. Not the greatest plan, but worked awesome for several years until the truck got pulled down and re-entered the "project" phase LOL.

66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66militaryd200 »

Well i still got awhile due to my most recent purchase of a new gun so half my money for the lift paid for that :lol: that just gives e more time to do research! :study and possibly start gathering parts slowly
W20071 the group was started by a friend and i and he has a 63 buick skylark that he is almost done building. hes basically done everything to it by himself or with help from his dad. But anyways the group doesnt really have any other cars in it its just 4 other 4x4s and a 1960 2wd ferd
Powerwagoncrazy i have to say i love your crewcab cummins and the paint scheme of it too. its a bad truck!!

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Lol thanks! The 5 speed started making some noise so it's been tucked away in the shed for a little rest until I get time to pull it apart. It's a helluva fun truck, though!

66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66militaryd200 »

That sucks! Hopefully nothing to bad! It looks like its a fun truck. I like the paint scheme of it! Makes me want to fix the body on mine and repaint it the original blue but thatll be next summer