CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Please Help - Spammers and politics

Post by CSS-Registry »

Hello Sweptline.org forum members,

i just wanted to take a few minutes to touch base on a two things - Spammers and political threads.

Spammers -
the site has slowly been bombarded with spammers over the years. this is why many of the new members have to wait for someone to manually approve their request to be a forum member. most of the time it is very obvious that the user name and email is a spammer but sometimes it is not. when it is obvious they are a spammer i ban the IP address, email and user name to avoid any issues with these jack-wagons. when it is not obvious i give them the benefit of the doubt and approve them. when they get through please email me directly as well as report it using the forum reporting tools. my email is simonsben at gmail dot com or simply reply to this post.

Politics -
i will attempt to be diplomatic about this: please refrain from posting political threads on this forum. this site is a truck forum and while we do encourage our users to post a wide variety of topics political threads eventually degrade to vitriol. as this country is evenly divided between liberal and conservative so is this site. i generally encourage political discussions if it can be kept civil but that is rarely the case so we generally avoid the topics and keep everything truck related. i realize this is a free country with free speech and all that democratic stuff but this forum is not - the final word is the moderators and we take a dim view on vitriol. we are all friends here and politics on a forum does not always end well.

with the above topics in mind please realize 2012 was a very bad year for several people in charge with the care of this forum (me included). i am looking forward to being more involved with the forum in 2013 but until things level out for me the best way to alert me of any forum issues is to email me directly - simonsben at gmail dot com.

i see lots of new names becoming very active on this forum and that is exciting. this is a great community with tons of experience with these trucks. let's keep them on the road and support each other with knowledge and experience - new and old.

Ben Simons
http://www.cssregistry.com

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Re: Please Help - Spammers and politics

Post by mopardwh »

Thanks for all you do Ben, John, and Scott. :salut

1969IndianaDodgeMan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Mt Pleasant
State: TX

Post by 1969IndianaDodgeMan »

mopardwh wrote:Thanks for all you do Ben, John, and Scott. :salut
:goodpost

Agree completly - thank you for running a great site, and giving me this resource. You men do a fabulous job. :salut :clap

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

CSS-Registry wrote:
soopernaut wrote:The location is always a tip-off of the spammers. The city never matches the state.
right you are.

also - legitimate forum members don't fully reveal their locations for personal reasons.

tough finding middle ground on all this stuff.

Ben
Pretty sure I'm not that hard to find... only Lancaster Plantation In Rosemark TN... :lol:

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Thanks to the moderators for doing a good job. I have found some information here that I was not aware of and that's after owning and tearing apart a number of Sweptlines over the last 38 years. Started thinking of how many I have driven /parted/still have. Number totals 20 over the years. Plus all the parts I have taken from trucks in wreckers. :pale

OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North
State: UT

Post by OleRed66 »

Thank you for all you do for this site. I've been working diligently on my Jeep the last couple years and may finally be able to pay more attention to the Swepty.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

Just to be clear that was a qoute from the other swpetline forum not from our memebers

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Yellow71 wrote:I think nasty language has shown itself a problem too.

When people on this forum resort to calling one another crude names, and using rough talk...well...how shameful!
Agreed. :Thumbsup
This forum chugs along about 99% problem free... thanks to all the conscientious and
considerate members. On occasion, someone lands kinda hard on someone else or uses
some "choice" names, etc., but things seem to get resolved quickly.... :clap
John

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Thanks guys! We got 'em!

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

sorry y'all. getting slammed with spammers lately. one or two made it through.

please email me simonsben at gmail dot com for immediate help if shawn or john can't get to it through the forum.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

or PM me. It took a few tries to delete the last topic in A100 discussion, but it finally worked. :salut

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

The forum does run well and is an awesome resource. Thanks for all you guys do!!
Just read the whole thread and learned a new word (vitriol,cruel and bitter criticism). Cool!
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Macros still hasn't been banned yet. :thinking All the posts from Macros are partial quotes of somebody else, plus a link to an unrelated subject. There is no London in South Dakota either.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

soopernaut wrote:Macros still hasn't been banned yet. :thinking All the posts from Macros are partial quotes of somebody else, plus a link to an unrelated subject. There is no London in South Dakota either.
banned now.

if a forum member sees something please say something to me via email = simonsben at gmail dot com.

i don't get on the regular forum everyday but i am subscribed to this topic and i always have my phone with me to approve, or in this case ban, users.

Nem
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

soopernaut wrote:Macros still hasn't been banned yet. :thinking All the posts from Macros are partial quotes of somebody else, plus a link to an unrelated subject. There is no London in South Dakota either.
a plea for help and empowerment-

i am asking all of you who contribute to this site to consider helping me to keep this site clean from spammers. i am empowering you that if you find someone who is a spammer to reply to this thread and please simply state "Marcos is a spammer as his location is fake - please have this username removed from the forum".

i don't have time to research every location and email account for every new users. if a new user looks like a real person i usually approve them - generally 9 time out of 10 i do it from my iPhone.

i apologize that some of these fake accounts make it through as i am doing the best i can to keep the new blood flowing in and keep viruses out.

email is the best way to reach me but also replying to this thread will also notify me. starting a new topic might get missed because i am not on the site every day and i am not subscribed to every topic.

simonsben at gmail dot com

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Good idea Ben - tahnk you for your work here.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I mentioned in another thread that Macros was a spammer because Hobcobble asked what he was trying to say. Hobcobble acknowledged what I had stated. I figured he would have done the banning.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Got "her" Terry! Thank you! :salut

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

there have been a few new member requests.

some appear to be spammers as they are not using actual cities in their locations or simply making the cities "USA" and then for a state some random state. i am having to spend more time research each new person so if one gets through please email me their username and i will ban them asap.

simonsben at gmail dot com

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y