This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
miatasportscar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Geneva
State: NY

I MISS MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Post by miatasportscar »

Well, boys & girls, I've been about a year without it. I really miss it. Although it took up half my storage space, I miss it horribly. Should have kept it, although I made a nice profit on the investment. That's what sweptlines are, "investments". You get pleasure out of owning, working on them, or driving them. If you're lucky you make a few bucks in the end, if not you simply can't put a price on pure fun.
I really miss my sweptline, and am looking for a Dodge Adventurer. Moral of the story is, if you like your truck and are having fun with it, DON'T SELL IT!
Gerry
Attachments
I should have ket this one, damn, I REALLY miss it..."
I should have ket this one, damn, I REALLY miss it..."

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: I MISS MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Hobcobble »

Hi Gerry,
Hope you find a nice Adventurer. Yeah..... I completely understand why
you miss that truck.... Its a beauty. :Thumbsup
John

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Agreed. Although I would never look at it as an investment. :thinking maybe 10 years ago.

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

This post brings back a memory. About 21 years ago, when my 70 sweptline was my daily driver, my wife (at the time) and I were expecting the birth of our son. We were faced with the need to get a four door car. She was driving our 1985 Dodge D150, and I was driving the '70. We figured that we'd trade the 70 in on a used small car that would be easier to put a car seat in and out of.
We ended up at a local Dodge dealership. The salesmen were very high pressure, and they just about insisted that we take their used Shadow home for the weekend. They didn't have a clue about how much to allow me trade in for a truck that old. So anyway, being much younger, and waaay more stupid , I left in their car, and left my sweptline in their parking lot. They figured we'd fall in love with the newer car and we'd meet up monday and sign the papers.
Man, I felt like I was selling out my best friend! To a dealer, it was worthless, but to me it was irreplaceable. At least for the money I could have sold it for.
While driving in a rural area, on our way to visit my sister in another town, we stopped at a small country convenience store for a snack. While I was paying at the counter, an elderly , white haired, black gentleman said to me " Young feller, you needs to go fishin'! ". "Excuse me? "I said. Again he said " You need to go fishin'!" and added " when you goes fishin', you'll figure out the answer to whats botherin' ya ".
That blew me away ! I knew that it had to be written all over my face that I was worried about something. So much so, that a total stranger felt compelled to offer his sage advice. I also knew that the only thing bothering me was the prospect of practically giving away my old truck, and replacing it with a crappy , four door, four cylinder car.
When we came back to town late that Friday night, I used my spare key to get my truck, and left their little P.O.S. at the dealership.The salesmen were kinda pissed when they came in Monday morning, but I felt like the weight of the world was off my shoulders !

1965DodgeD100Dave
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North Bend
State: NE

Post by 1965DodgeD100Dave »

cudaboy wrote:This post brings back a memory. About 21 years ago, when my 70 sweptline was my daily driver, my wife (at the time) and I were expecting the birth of our son. We were faced with the need to get a four door car. She was driving our 1985 Dodge D150, and I was driving the '70. We figured that we'd trade the 70 in on a used small car that would be easier to put a car seat in and out of.
We ended up at a local Dodge dealership. The salesmen were very high pressure, and they just about insisted that we take their used Shadow home for the weekend. They didn't have a clue about how much to allow me trade in for a truck that old. So anyway, being much younger, and waaay more stupid , I left in their car, and left my sweptline in their parking lot. They figured we'd fall in love with the newer car and we'd meet up monday and sign the papers.
Man, I felt like I was selling out my best friend! To a dealer, it was worthless, but to me it was irreplaceable. At least for the money I could have sold it for.
While driving in a rural area, on our way to visit my sister in another town, we stopped at a small country convenience store for a snack. While I was paying at the counter, an elderly , white haired, black gentleman said to me " Young feller, you needs to go fishin'! ". "Excuse me? "I said. Again he said " You need to go fishin'!" and added " when you goes fishin', you'll figure out the answer to whats botherin' ya ".
That blew me away ! I knew that it had to be written all over my face that I was worried about something. So much so, that a total stranger felt compelled to offer his sage advice. I also knew that the only thing bothering me was the prospect of practically giving away my old truck, and replacing it with a crappy , four door, four cylinder car.
When we came back to town late that Friday night, I used my spare key to get my truck, and left their little P.O.S. at the dealership.The salesmen were kinda pissed when they came in Monday morning, but I felt like the weight of the world was off my shoulders !

damn that got intense. i thought the end was going to be you traded it in for the Shadow. like i was reading a horror novel :( lol idk what to do either. this guy wants to trade my D100 for a 64 Belair idk if i can do it.

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

LOL! nah, we did get a Shadow later on, but we traded in the '85 Ram. That truck was my first new vehicle, and was paid for ! The dealer really ripped me a new one on trade in too. A few years later, my wife said that trading that truck in and taking on a new payment was the craziest choice we could have made. Of course I agreed.
The point was, that I understand the original poster's sentiment. For some folks, automobiles are merely a means of transportation and convenience, but for myself, and most likely everybody on this site, they can become a lot more. You can get attached to them, give them nicknames, and even spend more money on some of them than they'll ever be worth.....you know, kinda like some family members! haha! :banghead
I think that makes us " CAR GUYS". That's also why I love the movie "Christine". It's core is based on the relationship between a young man and his car, taken to extremes though.

miatasportscar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Geneva
State: NY

Post by miatasportscar »

Yesterday a friend of mine and I attended The Syracuse Nationals. Some guy made a hot rod out of a Sweptline long box, it was tastefully done, new interior, dash, guages, etc. The sweptline fenders gave it "the look", and huge chrome wheels and a gorgeous straight as an arrow paint job completed the "look". I guess one can do lots of things with the dear sweptline pickup.....DAMN, wish I'd have kept mine.....(although 'd have kept it original right down to the keys!) Different strokes for different folks, there's an @#% for every seat.
Gerry

montanajazzy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Glendive
State: MT

Post by montanajazzy »

I need room and money so I've been debating selling my '68 and I just know the day after I'll want it back. jaz

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

Great story about the Shadow. That's funny because I had a 1989 Shadow 2 door, oh boy what a "car" that was!!!!! My truck has been in the family since new so it won't ever be sold, at least not in my lifetime. Gerry, she was indeed a beauty, maybe you will find another like her.

1965DodgeD100Dave
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North Bend
State: NE

Post by 1965DodgeD100Dave »

DocsTruck wrote:Great story about the Shadow. That's funny because I had a 1989 Shadow 2 door, oh boy what a "car" that was!!!!! My truck has been in the family since new so it won't ever be sold, at least not in my lifetime. Gerry, she was indeed a beauty, maybe you will find another like her.
my mom use to have a Shadow :P i remember that car because we were riding in it one time and i was um picking my nose and my mom went over a bump and my finger jolted into my nose :thinking no joke. lol :( few months later it got wrecked :( it was a red 2 door my mom said it was a good little car

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

1965DodgeD100Dave wrote:
DocsTruck wrote:Great story about the Shadow. That's funny because I had a 1989 Shadow 2 door, oh boy what a "car" that was!!!!! My truck has been in the family since new so it won't ever be sold, at least not in my lifetime. Gerry, she was indeed a beauty, maybe you will find another like her.
my mom use to have a Shadow :P i remember that car because we were riding in it one time and i was um picking my nose and my mom went over a bump and my finger jolted into my nose :thinking no joke. lol :( few months later it got wrecked :( it was a red 2 door my mom said it was a good little car
Haha, mine was a 1987 model, bought it used in 1989 with only 18,000 miles on it so it looked and felt like a new car. Mine was silver with very dark tinted windows and those silver painted ralley wheels, and I had 60 series Cooper Cobra tires all around so it actually handled pretty good. I had that car until around 1999, went through a couple of engines, but the rest of the car held up well.

DB69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: La Porte
State: IN

Post by DB69 »

I really enjoyed reading about that truck in Vintage Truck Magazine.
I can relate about getting rid of a vehicle and being sorry about it later on
I had a 1988 D100 I bought new in May of 1988 and had for over 18 years
got rid of it, and have been sorry since
Good luck on finding an Adventurer!
Tom

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

HAHAHAHAHA at Dave's booger pickin' story. I literally luaghed out loud when I read it. My wife was asking me what in the world was I reading????
Our Shadow was a white 4dr, I never had a moments trouble out of it. I always liked the body styling on those cars too. Hey, sorry miata for sending your thread on a wild tangent.