This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Asheboro
State: NC

Newbie with a few questions

Post by dasbulliwagen »

My name is Jason, Im a Dodge dealer tech and Jeep Comanche nut and Im looking after a 1971 D100 for a friend. His dad bought it new in 71 and its been in his family ever since. Ive always liked old Dodges, but they seem to be even rarer than the Jeep Comanches I love so much. Its an original 383, 727, AC, PS, SWB truck with a 3:73 rear end and heavy duty rear springs for a camper, though Im not sure that its a camper special. It has the rear springs that have the extra springs bolted to the top of the main spring set and lived most of its life with a camper on it. Over the last ten years hes been working to restore it on and off, and has had the engine and trans rebuilt with performance adders, and had the whole truck blasted and painted, but it has yet to be completely finished. Im working now to get it to the point where it can be reliably driven when he wants to, hopefully before his dad passes away ( I think he around 80 or so) so that they can relive the days of yore when the chance presents itself. After doing some research on it I found this site, and hope that you guys can help me when and if the need arises. I dont have any pics yet, but will try to get some up soon. I have some questions below to start off with. Thanks

1. How rare is the combo that this truck has as listed above?
2. I think its missing a few of the chrome trim peices, how hard are they to come by ( the ones that go along the lower edge of the body)?
3.The retainer clips for the chrome... are they available as well... I looked at some of the parts places listed here but did not see them.

Im sure there will be more questions later. Thanks again.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Newbie with a few questions

Post by Hobcobble »

dasbulliwagen wrote:My name is Jason, Im a Dodge dealer tech and Jeep Comanche nut and Im looking after a 1971 D100 for a friend. His dad bought it new in 71 and its been in his family ever since. Ive always liked old Dodges, but they seem to be even rarer than the Jeep Comanches I love so much. Its an original 383, 727, AC, PS, SWB truck with a 3:73 rear end and heavy duty rear springs for a camper, though Im not sure that its a camper special. It has the rear springs that have the extra springs bolted to the top of the main spring set and lived most of its life with a camper on it. Over the last ten years hes been working to restore it on and off, and has had the engine and trans rebuilt with performance adders, and had the whole truck blasted and painted, but it has yet to be completely finished. Im working now to get it to the point where it can be reliably driven when he wants to, hopefully before his dad passes away ( I think he around 80 or so) so that they can relive the days of yore when the chance presents itself. After doing some research on it I found this site, and hope that you guys can help me when and if the need arises. I dont have any pics yet, but will try to get some up soon. I have some questions below to start off with. Thanks

1. How rare is the combo that this truck has as listed above?
2. I think its missing a few of the chrome trim peices, how hard are they to come by ( the ones that go along the lower edge of the body)?
3.The retainer clips for the chrome... are they available as well... I looked at some of the parts places listed here but did not see them.

Im sure there will be more questions later. Thanks again.
Welcome to the site. :welcome :usa
By "SWB", do you mean Short Wide Bed?
This will help folks formulate answers for #!

#2) Place and ad in the Parts Wanted Section :Thumbsup
Trim is tough to find but you might luck out and find
someone parting a truck with the same trim level.

#3)Try:
http://www.restorationspecialties.com

John

dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dasbulliwagen »

By SWB I mean short wheel base and thus short bed. Thanks for the link, I look forward to learning more about these sweet old trucks.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The trim is aluminum, not chrome. The nylon clips are n/a. U can install it with adhesive or trim tape.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

No Camper Special trucks came with a short bed. I'm also not aware of any Sweptline coming with a 3.73 rear gear ratio. It sounds well optioned, which was rare for these trucks.

dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dasbulliwagen »

Im 99% sure the tag said 3:73. Ill try to get some pics next week of the tags on the truck for confirmation. It also has a posi rear end. I was looking it over this morning and noticed that when you tried to turn one rear wheel it wouldnt turn and the opposite wheel would move in the same direction the little bit it would move. I worked this morning to drain out the old gas and found the fuel line leaking on top of the frame rail. Ill clean the line up on monday and put a new section of hose in to clean this up, and then add new gas so I have a fresh start at getting it tuned to run right.

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

3.73 is a Mopar 8 3/4 ratio. Though 3.23 is a common ratio.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

chilort wrote:3.73 is a Mopar 8 3/4 ratio.
Maybe in cars... For 71 D100s the available ratios were 3.23, 3.55 and 3.91. I suppose a 3.73 could have been special ordered and then there would probably be a SERT number on the VIN plate. It might also say Special in the axle and ratio boxes on the VIN plate too.

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

Someone could have swapped it out sometime in the last 30 years too. Though they usually don't both to put the gear ratio tag back on. I agree that it seems unlikely. But it is still possible.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

dasbulliwagen wrote:Im 99% sure the tag said 3:73.
I guess I was thinking VIN plate and tag were the same thing. If you meant the tag on the axle, then it probably was swapped.

dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dasbulliwagen »

soopernaut wrote:
dasbulliwagen wrote:Im 99% sure the tag said 3:73.
I guess I was thinking VIN plate and tag were the same thing. If you meant the tag on the axle, then it probably was swapped.
There is no tag on the axle. The one I saw was on the VIN plate. Ill try to get pics tommorow. For reference, the axle is the same style as a Ford 9 inch... Im not sure what axle it is, but it is a one owner truck and except for a motor/trans rebuild, paint, and rallye style wheels, is all original.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

dasbulliwagen wrote:For reference, the axle is the same style as a Ford 9 inch... Im not sure what axle it is, but it is a one owner truck and except for a motor/trans rebuild, paint, and rallye style wheels, is all original.
An original '71 D100 8 3/4 axle would not have a cover
plate on the rear of the housing. The gear set is bolted from
the front of the axle housing like the ford 9 inch style. I'm
wondering if your door jam VIN tag just has a poor or
mis-stamped axle ratio. I'm wondering if you have 3.23
gear and the "2" is poorly stamped to appear as a "7" :thinking
John

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

Did they classify a half ton as a camper special.
Probably just a misread 3.23 tag

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Cageman wrote:Did they classify a half ton as a camper special.
Not in 71. Some of the earlier trucks were available as 1/2 ton Camper Specials.

dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dasbulliwagen »

Im starting to doubt my 3:73 rememberance.... thinking maybe 3:55 now. Ill know for sure tommorow.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Posting something wrong on here is like throwing raw meat to a wolf pack - gets exciting - :lol:

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Posting something wrong on here is like throwing raw meat to a wolf pack - gets exciting - :lol:
Nah, not here.

If you want to see rudeness and amazing attack attitude you need a Mopar from the 80s, 90s, or 00s. Turbo-Mopar.com, TurboDodge.com, and SRT Forms will make your brains hurt.

dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dasbulliwagen »

Im not taking any of this as any kind of attack. Its all good. Im kinda hoping its 3:73 now just to show everyone something they havent seen before. I can see that this is a nice clean forum, and I appreciate that. My main forum www.comancheclub.com is the same way. Some of the other Jeep forums can get real nasty sometimes too. I dont go to them very often for that reason. Keep up the good work here, and Illkeep coming back!

dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dasbulliwagen »

I confirmed it today, its 3:55.... I have no idea why I thought it was 3:73 so much... sorry for creating so much excitement. Heres some pics for you guys to drool over.

And heres some pics of the Petty Garage's Roadrunner conversion that was brought to my shop from Petty's for an airbag light. Enjoy!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Your truck is definitely drool-worthy :clap :clap The 3.55 is a good
all-around gear. Apart from a 3.73, the next step is 3.91 which gets
a little steep. :2cents Those pics of Petty's car are cool. Thanks for
posting them up. :Thumbsup
John