This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
moonman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: laporte
State: IN

THE WORST CAR YOU HAVE EVER OWNED

Post by moonman »

I LOVE ALL THINGS MOPAR, I ALWAYS HAVE AND I ALWAYS WILL, HOWEVER, THE BIGGEST PIECE OF S**T CAR I EVER OWNED WAS A 1985 DODGE SHELBY CHARGER 2.2 LITER TURBO I BOUGHT IT USED WITH MY GRADUATION MONEY IN 1993, BIG MISTAKE, TURBO DID NOT WORK, I WENT THROUGH 3 TRANSMISSIONS IN 5 MONTHS, RADIATORS, MOTOR MOUNTS, (75$ BROKE AGAIN 3 DAYS LATER), I PAID 2200$ FOR IT AND SOLD IT A YEAR LATER FOR 650$, I DID NOT BEAT THIS CAR UP IT WAS JUST A POORLY ENGINEERED PIECE OF S**T, WHAT WAS YOUR WORST CAR EVER MOPAR OR NOT

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Re: THE WORST CAR YOU HAVE EVER OWNED

Post by DocsTruck »

Hard to say. 1987 Dodge Shadow, went through 2 engines with that crap car. 1990 Mercury Sable GS Wagon, great car until it started running hot one day from a split radiator plastic tank, sadly, damage was done and the heads had to be reworked, the car was never quite right after that. Present car- 1997 Taurus SHO, sitting now with a leaking transmission, this is tranny #2, tranny #1 was rebuilt by some crooks, worked fine until the warranty ran out. Engine runs smooth and fine, the transmissions in these cars just can't cut it. Oh yeah, my wife's 1998 Expedition 4x4, hmm, had to replace all of the air suspension with conventional springs and shocks when the air ride took a dump, did that job myself. Right now the piece of crap is sitting with a blown spark plug. I think I need to stay away from Ford products all together.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

86 Ford Aerostar, 3 major transmission issues in 18 months. A4LD 4spd slushomatics aren't cheap, they are very fragile, and they generally only fit 2-3 years worth of computer.

85 Toiletta Celica, Lisa drove it from Memphis area to Seattle area, Mobil 1 flattened the cam. Then her son was showing off in it and it jumped timing. Then a timing chain guide broke, allowing the chain to hole the timing cover and fill the block with water.

68 Catalina spit the crankshaft out the oil pan, while idling... 86 "Commonaro" shot a piston through the hood when a rod let go.

And my wife wonders why I'm bypassing the A/C and power steering on her late brother's Ranger... front seal on a reman steering pump popped out, pump was rebuilt in October... :censored

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

Mine was a 1975 Chevy Monza. Bought it for the motor really. The most starts I got from a starter was 3. :censored And that's if I was in town. Once I got on the freeway, don't shut it off unless you have a new starter in your hands. :banghead Factory heat shields were in place and everything! :censored After about a week I took what I wanted from it and gladly sent it on it's way.

bob1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: apple valley/ca

Post by bob1 »

55 Mercury - could't pull a sick ho outta bed.

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

1970 opal Cadet.... nuf said!

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Every air-cooled VW I've ever owned has been my worst cars ever!

1) 1966 VW Type III fastback. Bought from original owner in 1976. White w/red interior. Wonderful car...for the first month. I did an oil change on it one day. Everything was cool. Took it out for a spin one fine Saturday morning. At 70 mph, the oil light flashed ONE time, then the engine blew up into atoms! The pistons were melted into the jugs. There was a 12" hole in the bottom of the crankcase. The only things salvageable off the engine was the twin carbs, the intake, and the exhaust. Traded it for my next POS VW....

2) A '62 Baja Bug. Had a later 1800 cc case and jugs. Ran wonderfully. It got stolen from me. It was recovered three weeks and 20 miles away, with a busted exhaust, torn seats, dead cylinder, and a stolen TV in the back seat. It never ran right after that. Traded it off for a nice Chevy!

3) Thinking the third time is the charm, I get stationed in Germany. An Italian Lieutenant Colonel had a '65 Beetle for sale. Ran great, he says, and it did...for short spurts, come to find out. It quit after four days and thirty feet from the Dutch border. I have a friend come and tow me home. Straps, not chains. Damn near ripped the front axle off the rusty %^%^&%$&^-ing pan! Parted that beast down to the last nut, and hauled the rusty-a$$ed body to a scrap yard in Holland. Upside-down. In the back of my '85 Dodge D150 pickup!

Yup, my worst cars were all Volkswagons. Thing is, I like VWs. They hate me. And that's fine.

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton
State: MD

Post by surfnuke9 »

1989 Dodge Spirit.

Was a certified POS from the day it was born.

backwoods
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nineveh
State: IN

Post by backwoods »

Light baby blue, 4 door, 1981 Mercury Zephyer. It was my first car. I didn't have a lot of money when I got my license so my dad sold me this gem for $50. It was a car his drivers ed company was looking to replace. It even came with a functioning passenger side brake pedal. My friends loved it. Needless to say it did not stay in the car too long. No matter how much I babied it, I was always having to work on it. Replaced the head twice, tranny twice, and numerous tune ups and brake pads. I even had to get a new set of stock wheels. Beginning drivers really beat the crap out of it. I finally saved up enough money for a real car (1970 Monte Carlo). So one evening my friends and I decided to take it out mudding. By the nights end, we had to crawl out of the windows to get out as it was buried so bad we couldn't get the doors open. I just left it where it sat. :lol: :lol:

garyo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by garyo »

1981 Plymouth Horizon TC3. When it would rain, it wouldn't run.

1995 Dodge Ram. 13 times back to the dealer in 6 months for a clunk in the left front wheel when I turned left.

2001 Dodge Ram. Started rusting after 2 years. Couldn't keep the front end together on it, lift pump and injection pump failure under 90,000 miles. Surprisingly the transmission never gave me any trouble.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

1960 Corvair, my first car

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

1970 Dodge D100. I guess it isn't a car. The speedometer and fuel gauges didn't work. The transmission had a position between P and R that wouldn't do anything and you couldn't select 2 or 1 either. The engine sounded good when in park even when revved but when you put it in gear and revved it it would kind of fall flat on its face. I noticed half of brake master cylinder wasn't filled so I filled it and the truck pulled to the left when braking. The windshield leaked resulting in rusted out front cab mounts and the doors were also rusted out.

The truck has been completely taken apart. A 77 D150 front clip welded to the original frame which has been primed and painted. The bottom of the cab has been cleaned and painted and mounted on the frame. The bottom of the bed is nearly all primered but that is where I stopped. I've got a long way to go.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

1974 mustang II...this was in 1975, heater was out....dead of winter heading from Houston to Dallas.Already freezing my A--off,push the window button to flick out a butt...clunk the glass fell off the track to no man's land...not a fun trip.Chris.

robsimmons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Elizabethtown
State: KY

Post by robsimmons »

'73 Satellite Custom 4 door. I nicknamed it "Mogwai" because it was full of Gremlins! :lol:

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shoreline
State: WA

Post by Dood »

Tough call...

In order of ownership, I had:
  • a 72 Mercedes 230 that burned oil faster than gas,
  • a 78 Nova that dropped a transmission going over railroad tracks in '94,
  • a 94 Saturn SL2 that got totaled 3 months after rolling off the lot,
  • a 95 Saturn SW2 floor model that lasted 10 years of abuse before dying with wife, dogs, and kids 100 miles from anywhere in WA,
  • a 93 Acurra Integra base that was infested with mold in the interior,
  • a '07 Subaru Forester that is rock solid, fuel efficient, but boring as all balls to drive
Wow, tough because they all had something towards being the worst car I've owned.

Perkins64
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Boerne
State: TX

Post by Perkins64 »

1988 Dodge Raider, blew up the engine, rebuilt it, follwed by the trans, ditto, head gasket after rebuild

Could not maintain highway speed. What a pile of shat!

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: chico ca

Post by rd200 »

1993 FORD TARUS. To get even with it I hooked up a large chain and then connected that to a plow. I gave the keys to my 15 year old daughters and told her to plow my fields. It worked great. Sold it to an ex con for $700 after leveling my acreage...

440Venturer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by 440Venturer »

I have 2 that fall into this catagory...

1986 Chevy Beretta GTU........ Its still a Beretta and junk no matter how it looked.

1993 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V8.
19,000 miles lost the motor
23,000 miles lost the trans
25,000 miles lost the power steering pump
26,000 miles all the paint fell off
26,000 lost the transfer case
27,000 miles traded truck off !!!!

Luckly everything was still covered under warranty... Was real suprised at how crappy the truck was.
I had already owned a 1990 Dakota sport which was one of the best vehicles I have owned.
Also owned a 2003 Dakota quad cab... nice truck.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

I also had a '93 Dakota 4x4 CC with the 318 auto...it, too, was a POS! Can't imagine I forgot about that damn Dakota! Looked great, but was a total pile of crap.

1) Lost the overdrive at 11K miles
2) Fan clutch seized at 12K miles
3) Ignition switch quit at 20K miles
4) Torque converter quit at 22K.
5) OD quit again at 23K.
6) OD quit a third time at 30K.
7) New plugs and wires required at 32K, fuel pump quit right after that.
8) Transmission puked at 36K miles
9) Sold to a guy in Dallas at 37K miles

New owner had TWO transmissions quit in just 10K miles. Paint all flaked off at a car wash at the 50K point. He sold it off right afterwards.

That Dakota was one cursed pig.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

96 monte carlo, not the base line, but the super sport version (whatever it was called that year) damn car spent more time in the shop then it did on the road. from the time it went thru my bro, then to me it went thru 3 alternators, 2 starters, 6 coil packs (had 3 on it), radiator, elect fan assembly, cracked intake manifold that led to a stripped out bolt hole in the intake plenum, torque converter, front cv shafts which led to front struts..twice. and much much more. all over the course of about 4 years.