This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Re: brand x engines in mopars

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

soopernaut wrote:It can be annoying to see everything with a Chevy 350 in it. If you have the money to build a nice vehicle with no expenses spared I would think there would be many good engines to choose from. Now if you are a regular guy building a budget minded vehicle I can see using the 350 since it is a decent engine with excellent aftermarket support and it doesn't cost as much as many of the other engine choices would.

This is a good statement and it leads to why I personally cannot stand, restoring or actually Mod Restoration, if your going to do ANY MANUFACTURE then take the time to learn the different things offered by the manufacture, each and everyone has their products THAT ALL DO THE SAME THING, so butchering a vehicle with cross breeding parts is just showing research wasn't done, taking the lazy way out. Now having said that, their are of the majority of "enthusiast at different levels, butchering a vehicle with cross breeding is one of the levels, so even though its done, at least it keeps people involved and they enjoy getting out and becoming a bigger part of the community.
So thats why the saying "to each their own" was developed, and why their are different levels of enthusiast, everyone plays a part in keeping old vehicles on the road.

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

soopernaut wrote:It can be annoying to see everything with a Chevy 350 in it. If you have the money to build a nice vehicle with no expenses spared I would think there would be many good engines to choose from. Now if you are a regular guy building a budget minded vehicle I can see using the 350 since it is a decent engine with excellent aftermarket support and it doesn't cost as much as many of the other engine choices would.
I'm with you on the first part, but not on the second. The SB Chevy isn't really any more or less expensive than building a SB MoPar or Ford really. I've seen buildups from the major magazines where they spend the same amount of cash and effort for all three brands, and they typically find the SB MoPar is a contender at least. And with these mags so heavily biased towards GM, you know they have to be beating their heads against the wall over it. I loved the contest they did a while back where they built small block powered cars, a Mustang, Camaro and a Duster, all on the same budget, and the Duster did as the name implied,.. dusted the competition. :Thumbsup I love seeing the GM love children eat crow! :lol:

I'm only for it in a case like Patrick pointed out. When it's all you have to work with, you sometimes have to bite the bullet and use what you have. What I don't get is when someone spends huge amounts of money on a car, then goes with the GM power. An example is the Delahaye (sp?) that Coddington did a few years ago. Every millimeter of the car was massaged, but under the hood was a chromed up 350. Come on, you couldn't be more creative than that? How about a straight 8 from a Pontiac or something? I felt like he went cheap in that area, but that may just be my opinion.

But as also pointed out, if you take it to a show, don't open the hood or get all puffy chested with me over it. I may pee in your gas tank. :lol:

Gjdodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grand Junction

Post by Gjdodge »

Now if you have the funds and big movie company has, then why would you put chebby motor in charger like the on in fast and the furious? thats just a slap in the face!!

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Gjdodge wrote:Now if you have the funds and big movie company has, then why would you put chebby motor in charger like the on in fast and the furious? thats just a slap in the face!!
in the world of vintage vehicles, theirs alot of "slaps in the face" notice how all "kits" have brand x parts in them somehow? they all could have pure Mopar parts, but they always find a way to slip brand x in one way or another.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

OregonDodgeboy wrote:
I'm with you on the first part, but not on the second. The SB Chevy isn't really any more or less expensive than building a SB MoPar or Ford really. I've seen buildups from the major magazines where they spend the same amount of cash and effort for all three brands, and they typically find the SB MoPar is a contender at least. And with these mags so heavily biased towards GM, you know they have to be beating their heads against the wall over it. I loved the contest they did a while back where they built small block powered cars, a Mustang, Camaro and a Duster, all on the same budget, and the Duster did as the name implied,.. dusted the competition. :Thumbsup I love seeing the GM love children eat crow! :lol:

I'm only for it in a case like Patrick pointed out. When it's all you have to work with, you sometimes have to bite the bullet and use what you have. What I don't get is when someone spends huge amounts of money on a car, then goes with the GM power. An example is the Delahaye (sp?) that Coddington did a few years ago. Every millimeter of the car was massaged, but under the hood was a chromed up 350. Come on, you couldn't be more creative than that? How about a straight 8 from a Pontiac or something? I felt like he went cheap in that area, but that may just be my opinion.

But as also pointed out, if you take it to a show, don't open the hood or get all puffy chested with me over it. I may pee in your gas tank. :lol:
The guys on Horsepower took a 360, and spent $1200 on it and got more HP out of it than spending almost 10K on a 350, of coarse they got lucky and fount the 360 with Indy heads on it, from the junkyard, the numbers were very impressive, I almost went out and bought one from UPULLNPAY myself, :lol: