How many of you wished they repopped these???

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Re: How many of you wished they repopped these???

Post by DocsTruck »

truckluvr wrote:Why is it that us mopar nuts are always poor but proud?
There are a few sucessful diehard mopar nuts but most people I've met that have money like mopars because it's the in thing! Hell my first car was a 69 roadrunner! Before my wife and I married I was talking to her dad about getting her a new car (he was a chev. nut) and he asked what I was going to get her and I said "Well I only allow 3 brands of cars on my property". He laughed and said "What, Chevy, Ford and Chrysler?" and I said "No, Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge"

Do a google search for a man named Tim Welborn. This guy lives in Alexander City, Alabama which is just a short drive from Auburn, and he is a Mopar fanatic. He has been collecting cars for a very long time, mostly 1971 Hemi Chargers. Out of the 63 Hemi Chargers built in 1971, he owns 23 of them along with many other Mopars including some winged cars, and speaking of winged cars, he owns the K&K Insurance Daytona Charger. He has recently opened a muscle car museum in Alex City, and by the way, he stopped by my Grandmother's house one day some time ago, (little more than a year ago), and asked to look at the truck, in fact after seeing the truck he wanted to buy it and offered 5 grand on the spot, but it is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. I plan to see if he will display my truck in his museum though. He has been on the show My Classic Car and has stated that he really likes "survivor" cars, I guess that is why he was so interested in my truck!!!
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

I know they used to offer stuff, my point is they dont anymore, and neither does anyone else.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Cageman wrote:I know they used to offer stuff, my point is they don't anymore, and neither does anyone else.
Well, you've probably answered the question as to why no one is repopping much of anything for the Swepties then! They went to a lot of trouble and $$$ to sell what they had, but people pi$$ and moan at the prices, so what do you guys expect??? They run out, and there is no more. Surprised? I'm surely not. You will find most of the rubber parts available, but little else.

Some of you guys gripe when someone parts out what appears to be a good truck to start with, like I did my '67 D200. Guess what? Parts of that truck are on at least fifteen trucks on the forum, that otherwise would not have that part! So, if and when someone with more $$$ than sense starts repopping Swepty parts and making them available for next to nothing for the self-avowed cheap-a$$e$, you have to find whatever you can and make it work. That includes parting out otherwise nice trucks. It's all a part of liking and building a truck that was not a big seller when new, and a truck that has a very limited enthusiast base when compared to GM and Ford.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

I bought a set of floorpans from them, and when I saved up for the complete rocker panels they had, they didnt have them any more, they came form overseas somewhere, that poor truck is still sitting there, as I nver got around to fixing the rockers. Usually if a cab is nice, the rest of the truck is nice, I have yet to find a nice set of rackers I could cut off, and not feel bad. I have used those crap rockers that are available, but they look like crap, and Im not happy with them.
Floor pans I make my self now, I have bent up a few pair anyways. Got lucky on both trucks I did that the rockers were good still. I once used the rockers off of a 69 chevy to, about the same deal as the rackers that are available, lots of fabrication.

Trailmaster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ellicott
State: CO

Post by Trailmaster »

66patrick wrote:
Trailmaster wrote:Now with all the rumors about Dodge trucks becoming Ram, looks like the better part of my fleet could be orphaned. Does that mean they're worth more?
First point. Not a rumor. Dodge Truck Division is now Ram, to separate the trucks from the car brand (making it easier to sell off). Dodges will be cars only. Ram will be trucks and full-sized vans only.

Second point. Are Plymouths (or Eagles, or Oldsmobiles, or Pontiacs) worth more now??? NO.
Not worth anymore, just now I know what the guys with Hudsons and Studes have felt like for years.
70 D200 Camper Special 383/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB
74 Trailduster 318/727/NP203/3.55/PS/PB
75 Duster 225/904/PS
76 D300 Adventurer Sport 440/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB/Cruise

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

I own a Hudson (actually, a Terraplane), and have owned eight, altogether. There are very strong national clubs for Hudsons and Studebakers. There are parts being repopped for them. In fact, ALL of the rubber mouldings, weatherstripping, and stops are being reproduced for my '37, and it has all-new rubber on it. There are a few other small '37 parts being repro'd, too. Consider that, in 1937, Hudson/Terraplane production exceeded 240,000 cars and light trucks, which is probably more than all eleven model years of Swepty production combined. Again, Supply. Meet Demand.

But, we Hudson owners also know what interchanges with what, and could care less if a part originally made for a Jeep, a Chevy, or a Dodge fits what we need to use. There are several very busy and well-established vendors out there that cater to Hudson owners. Granted, they are not getting stinking rich, by any means; but they are providing a service by remanufacturing things like carbs, fuel pumps, camshafts, timing gears, and such. Plus, you would be very surprised at what I can still get from my local NAPA store for my '37! The Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club nationally has over 4,000 members.

One of you guys talked of pooling resources and looking into reproducing certain items. If this ever takes off, you'd obviously will have to repop only the absolutely MOST NEEDED items. What are those? As a Swepty owner (not at the moment, however!), my thoughts would go toward the pie-plates, the gauge bezels for the '68-earlier trucks, the "100" emblems for '67-earlier, the aluminum pieces that hold down the mat that go along the rocker steps, various dash knobs, the three-hole mirror stalks WITH the proper brackets that go inside the door, door hinge kits, cab mounts, cab corners, and perhaps wiper arms. My list is in no particular priority or order.

Most of the cab rubber is available from Steele Mfg, so that is not a big concern.

Keep in mind, Norm had a run of Swepty Poly headers made, and I'm pretty sure he has not sold all of them (might be wrong here) at a cost of between $390 - $690 per set, IIRC, depending on the finishing. It's an expensive undertaking, even for the smallest part.

So, with over 2,500+ members here, plus what Norm has over there, is there enough interest and a likelihood of at least breaking even on a run of "X"??? That question needs to be seriously researched and considered.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

66patrick wrote:Consider that, in 1937, Hudson/Terraplane production exceeded 240,000 cars and light trucks, which is probably more than all eleven model years of Swepty production combined. Again, Supply. Meet Demand.
I figured out the total production of all light duty Sweptlines at one point in time and it came out to be nearly 1 Million. There are also parts used on medium duty trucks and A100/A108s that are the same as the light duty trucks. They just don't seem to have the same following as other makes and models. :thinking I recently saw a photo of an International Truck gathering and there were more light duty Internationals parked in one area than there will ever be of Sweptlines. I'm not just talking Scouts either but the trucks that you never see anywhere.

jeffz
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Mesa
State: AZ

Post by jeffz »

There is a pie plate on ebay as "reproduction" today. Could it be true? Dont know the vendor.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

jeffz wrote:There is a pie plate on ebay as "reproduction" today. Could it be true? Dont know the vendor.
Yes Jeff. It is true. I believe Soopernaut has posted the link before.
John :Thumbsup

Dustys66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ottumwa
State: IA

Post by Dustys66 »

I guess i havent really looked for any for sale, i was lucky enough that my 66 came with one good one and my uncle had another decent one laying around that i tapped a few dents out of.