How many of you wished they repopped these???

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eastern
State: OR

How many of you wished they repopped these???

Post by truckluvr »

How many 65-67 owners wished that someone would repop the freaken piepan headlight bezels that apparently don't exist anymore anywhere in undamaged condition? Can't we get the Chinese or someone to makes us some???!!! Stainless would be awesome too so they don't dent every time a bug hits them.

Sorry... Venting. :banghead

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: How many of you wished they repopped these???

Post by truckluvr »

Okay maybe I'm the only one...

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

Nope! It's just a matter of beating you head against the wall! LOL Maybe we should figure a way to make them ourselves? Mike
Remember, if you run out of projects, you die!
http://pics.livejournal.com/mikescars/

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Supply versus demand. Not a hell of a lot of folks are restoring Swepties, face it. There has to be a demand, and a demand WITH profit-making potential at that, to reproduce parts for whatever. To make a run of headlight doors (the correct name for the headlight rings), you'd have to have at LEAST a hundred pair spoken for AND paid in advance, to pay for the run. If the run did not have enough advance buyers, then the $$$ could be refunded, of course. BUT, find a hundred folks to commit to ANYTHING these days...tough to do, yes? Aluminum would be expensive enough, but stainless? You'd be looking at a grand per set, I'd bet money! NO one here would spend that for a part that would look wrong, anyway!

That's why you see only the rockers, steps, and cab floors repopped. That's why you also see so many old Chevy/GMC and Ford trucks being restored, is that there IS a demand for parts from that same era that our Swepties are from. I can go out and get LOTS of new/repop parts for my son's trucks - '78 and '68 Chevy C-10s. Look at how many of those were built originally, versus the Swepty trucks. You can even find more for Internationals and Jeep pickups, because of the IH Scout and Jeep/Kaiser/AMC parts availability for them!

THAT'S why you'll likely never see the availability of parts for the Sweptlines, versus what's out there for the others. Reality is a *#%^$. I love the Swepties (and the Chevy trucks, too, BTW!).
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by truckluvr »

Okay well I'll put money down for 4 of them! Only 196 more to go...

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

truckluvr wrote:How many 65-67 owners wished that someone would repop the freaken piepan headlight bezels that apparently don't exist anymore anywhere in undamaged condition? Can't we get the Chinese or someone to makes us some???!!! Stainless would be awesome too so they don't dent every time a bug hits them.

Sorry... Venting. :banghead
Put me in the "wish" category.
You lost me with the China thing though :2cents
John

BrowneBlue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrowneBlue »

I'd like to have a couple sets, too......if I could afford them, that is. I live in Deer country and even though I don't get this truck out on the highway too much it is on my mind. They always say that a Recession/Depression is a good time for an out of work entra.....entrepa..... :banghead You know what I mean, to start a new business...... :thinking Maybe there is someone out there that could start that up?

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

truckluvr wrote:Can't we get the Chinese or someone to makes us some???!!!
Don't provoke them! :banghead Of course, American made would be like Patrick said; well, way too expensive. I think out of all of them the pie plates would have the most demand since they are used on the A series and some of the big boys also, but still probably not very profitable. I don't really know what it would take though. It might be doable. I'd buy a couple of sets for a decent price.
Doug

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by truckluvr »

entrepenuer... Ya! there we go! You know what they say! Squeaky wheel gets... :banghead

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

who makes rockers steps and floors still, no one, just those crappy steps, been there dont that.
You dont buy parts for these trucks, you beat them out of flat steel.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

It would be cool if they made them, but most of us probably couldn't afford them. They make them for my 64 Polara, but they usually cost over $500 a set :banghead
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by truckluvr »

Why is it that us mopar nuts are always poor but proud?
There are a few sucessful diehard mopar nuts but most people I've met that have money like mopars because it's the in thing! Hell my first car was a 69 roadrunner! Before my wife and I married I was talking to her dad about getting her a new car (he was a chev. nut) and he asked what I was going to get her and I said "Well I only allow 3 brands of cars on my property". He laughed and said "What, Chevy, Ford and Chrysler?" and I said "No, Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge"

hemithekid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Casper
State: WY

Post by hemithekid »

More
Obsolete
Parts
Are
Required
DODGE RULES!!!!!

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview

Post by mopardwh »

truckluvr wrote: "Well I only allow 3 brands of cars on my property". He laughed and said "What, Chevy, Ford and Chrysler?" and I said "No, Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge"
LOL. Hey now, don't forget Jeep! :lol:
Doug

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by truckluvr »

I did add Jeep when they bought AMC I always liked Jeeps anyways I've owned a 77 Jeep J20 pu, 88, 93,96 Cherokees and a 97 Grand Cherokee and now currently own an 05 Jeep liberty Diesel (which by the way I highly recommend if you do any towing). My 78 Powerwagon is a tough truck but it is a distant second to the J20 I had! Anybody who's owned one of these know what I mean.

Trailmaster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ellicott
State: CO

Post by Trailmaster »

I got a J20 also, only it had bad bearings in the 401 and long story short, over a decade and it almost has a 360 in it now. One of these days...

Even with the bad bearings it was one of the hardest pulling trucks I've ever driven, as long as it's on an even surface. Stiff suspension and open diffs don't play well on uneven terrain.

Kind of felt like the J became an orphaned vehicle when Ma Mopar quit the SJ/J series. Then Ma Mopar quit building the Plymouth so I had two orphans. Now with all the rumors about Dodge trucks becoming Ram, looks like the better part of my fleet could be orphaned. Does that mean they're worth more? Or just cost more to keep running? :thinking
70 D200 Camper Special 383/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB
74 Trailduster 318/727/NP203/3.55/PS/PB
75 Duster 225/904/PS
76 D300 Adventurer Sport 440/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB/Cruise

john
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Tyler

Post by john »

I dented my rings and used a wet sand bag and preshapened wood hammer to reform. I posted a similar parts request some time back. See my original post at General chit-chat: $10,000 Tail/brake lens... I still have $1,000.00 to donate to a worthy "repop" Sweptline parts venture, and at least for now, I've given up on new tail light lens.' John, Tyler, Tx

john
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Tyler

Post by john »

Who's our entramanure??? I'll put up $1000.00 to get a "small parts" network/store started. I don't have the time to do the research. I'm for remanufacturing the old parts and have looked into having new brake/tail lens' made. My lonely $1k won't do very much. I expect no profit, merely the sole advancement of the Sweptline family "club"... John, Tyler, TX

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

Trailmaster wrote:Now with all the rumors about Dodge trucks becoming Ram, looks like the better part of my fleet could be orphaned. Does that mean they're worth more?
First point. Not a rumor. Dodge Truck Division is now Ram, to separate the trucks from the car brand (making it easier to sell off). Dodges will be cars only. Ram will be trucks and full-sized vans only.

Second point. Are Plymouths (or Eagles, or Oldsmobiles, or Pontiacs) worth more now??? NO.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

Cageman wrote:who makes rockers steps and floors still, no one, just those crappy steps, been there dont that.
You dont buy parts for these trucks, you beat them out of flat steel.
Vintage Power Wagons was selling them.