This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Re: Everybody Thinks Their Truck is a Dude

Post by Cageman »

I emailed him and told him he is a fraud, but he came back with a smart @#% reply saying it is indeed a dude because he did his research. IE d14ae ya know.

Yellow71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 80031

Post by Yellow71 »

The "Dude" registery claims......

Dude Production numbers for Dodge 1/2 ton trucks in 1970 - 1971 were quite low in comparison to GM and Ford. In 1970, Dodge produced 38,857 half-ton trucks, (D100), and in 1971 just 33,487 were produced. It is a general industry estimate that only 1500 to 2000 out of those nearly 73,000 trucks were sold as the Dodge Dude pickup truck option during their model years 1970 and 1971.

A close similarity seems to exist in the Dodge Dude vehicle identification numbers. Most of the Dude pick-up trucks begin with the serial, “D14AE.” This could mean that many of the Dude packages rolled down the assembly line one after another. The Chrysler plant in Fenton, Missouri is the only known factory to have built the Dude Sport Trim package pickup truck.

Since all Half Ton-2WD "Dudes" will have VIN numbers starting "D14AE" and I think a fewer number 3/4 ton "Dudes" were sold with VIN numbers starting "D24AE" it would be true that most "Dudes" were D14AE...but so was every Half ton Sweptline...so that proves nothing as to whether the Ebay truck is authentic or not.

It is reasonable to expect that the plant would tool up for running "Dudes" and therefore, also reasonable to believe that "Dudes" did run in "production lots" in sequence. BUT, this tells us nothing about what those sequence numbers are...so we learn nothing about this specific trucks potential "Dude" status.

THE EBAY auction says that the VIN number is D14AE1U340774...

and the Sweptline Registry decodes this VIN as...

Serial Number D14AE1U340774
Make Dodge
Model D1 - D100
Body Style 4 - Conventional Cab with Sweptline box; Compact Hi-Line Wagon
Gross Vehicle Weight A - 6,000 lbs or less
Engine E - LA 318-1 V8 2V
Year 1971
Plant U - Missouri
Wheelbase 114,128
Rating 1/2 Ton
Build Number 40774

SO...WHAT DO WE KNOW FOR SURE?

The truck was assembled in the same plant in MO where the "Dudes" were assembled...as long as it is true that the "Dudes" were assembled exclusively at the MO plant. Therefore it is possible that this truck was a "Dude" but nothing in this information proves or disproves this truck as a "Dude".

We can neither know whether this is originally a "Dude" or not.

We would probably need photos of the truck in it's original...or a "Build Sheet" or be able to see the original stripes or ??? in order to know? Am I right?

My copy of the "Dude" sales literature does not list LIGHT TAN IRID. as a color offered with the "Dude Option"...and as Ben stated...Drip Rail Mouldings were painted roof color on Dudes"...and based on those points...I conclude that this was most likely not a "Dude" originally...otherwise known as a CLONE!...or those items are not correct for the originality of this truck.

Otherwise, we do not have enough information to come to an absolute conclusion...unless I am missing something?

The ONLY absolute is that the seller HAS NOT adequately documented this particular truck as a real "Dude"!

SO...as in all cases...BUYER BEWARE!

AND...the Stripes are simply HORRIBLE :lol:

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

Buyer beware, but they are bidding I think because they are told it is indeed a dude, and that is why it is so high. We all watch what trucks go for on ebay, and this isnt right.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

:goodpost

people really need to go see ebay cars/trucks in person.

this doesnt really have anything to do with this truck but, there used to be a junk hauler in the ghetto that had a beat to he!! Orange Dude... :pale

my buddy has one rotting in his field too. :pale :pale

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

i like how it looks like they painted over rust in the door when they repainted it.
It would have been nice if they had made the stripe look a bit more like the dude stripe too.
What did the dude package include besides the stripe?

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Not much. The cab on a Dude did not have the chrome rail moldings. The "C"-stripe is quite large, as you know, and the "Dude" hat is on the quarter panel. The '71 (non-embossed) tailgate has the decal matching the stripe color, in the center part of the tailgate recess. You could get any engine (225, 318, 383) with the Dude. You had the chrome front and rear bumpers, and aluminum grille. You were limited to color choices, too, IIRC. I've heard that you could only get white-painted wheels with the small caps and trim rings, but I don't know that to be 100% fact or not.

In the small town I grew up in, in the early '70s, my neighbor had a Plum Crazy Dude with the white stripe; and another guy in town had an orange Dude with a white stripe. For years, those were the only two I'd ever seen!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Andrew Wasson, the guy who runs that Dude site supposedly researched these trucks for years so I'm kind of surprised by some of the things mentioned on his site.

Most of the Dude trucks I've seen the VINs for were actually Michigan built trucks. I think I only saw one Missouri built Dude truck(It may have been that Blue one that was recently on ebay). For all I know it could have been a Dealer install. Then again they all could be besides the truck Walt owns. That truck had the build sheet posted here. That is the one thing I don't like about them is there is no real way to prove anything and Dodge always had that oddball truck that came with different options than it should have.

I wouldn't mind running a Dude registry but I don't know the first thing about running a website plus I don't want the operating costs associated with it.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

soopernaut wrote:Andrew Wasson, the guy who runs that Dude site supposedly researched these trucks for years so I'm kind of surprised by some of the things mentioned on his site.
Research is an ongoing thing.... maybe he'll update/edit his findings :thinking
John

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

It sold for 4 grand, I hope the guy didnt buy it thinking it indeed was a dude.

SmokyMtnSwepty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Webster,NC

Post by SmokyMtnSwepty »

My POS D100 (with a VIN beginning in D14AE) must be a Dude too.......I thinks I will spray bomb some Dude stripes on it, put it on evilbay with pics showing all the rust Im too cheap to fix.......and see if I can get $4051....OOPS......I woke up from my nap..... :moom
I saw this truck which was a 45 minute drive for me and when it was at $3000 and reserve not met I lost interest. Im happy with my rusty POS 71.....and looking forward to spring so I can give it a rolled on Rustoleum paintjob.....

Yellow71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Yellow71 »

Relax Guys!!!

It didn't meet reserve...so you all get another chance to own this fine truck..., awful stripes, rusty doors and all!

Current bid: US $4,050.00
Reserve not met

Get low monthly payments
Ended: Feb-13-09 09:06:55 PST
Shipping:
Buyer responsible for vehicle pick-up or shipping. Vehicle shipping quote is available.
Sells to: United States
Item location: Brevard, NC, United States
History: 9 bids
High bidder: i***w( 17Feedback score is 10 to 49
Last edited by Yellow71 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Cageman »

Didnt see that it didnt meet the reserve, thank god for a high reserve.

Yellow71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Yellow71 »

Cageman wrote:Didnt see that it didnt meet the reserve, thank god for a high reserve.

Figure that one out...The guy is selling a poorly re-created clone Dude....someone is actually willing to pay over 4K for it and he turned the offer down...

and we are glad for the possible buyer because he didn't meet the reserve...

There is some Kelly Bundy logic in there somewhere...

Mavis13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Prescott,AZ

Post by Mavis13 »

My guess is he wants to try and get $45,000 out of it. :lol: Some people really need to NOT watch barret jacksons auto auction
1968 Dodge D100 LA 318, 1972 Plymouth Fury 3

dodged200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: kokomo, IN

Post by dodged200 »

My favorite thing about Barret Jackson is when someone pays $120,000 for a car and the announcer says, "Wow, that guy got a great deal there, it should have went for a lot more." Good stuff.

Yellow71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Yellow71 »

That one was "Well Bought"

SEVENTYONEDUDE
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 80931

Post by SEVENTYONEDUDE »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

That ain't no Dude, DUDE! :banghead :shame
The Black interior, Black dash, Black steeringwheel, TAN DOOR PANELS? :thinking
Not saying that wasn't his option choices....
The smooth black vinyl roof panel insert (mine is the original tan tweed material)? :thinking
And, ARE THOSE :censored ROCKETS STICKIN' OUT OF HIS BACK UP LIGHT HOLES?! :pale
ey wunt sum ware doo yuse getz tham?

Those GASTLY stripes.... "Holy, break out the masking tape and Black spraypaint, crap... Batman!!!!" :withstupid
"Yes Robin, that is a REDNECK Dude!"

:lol: :joker :dance

Too bad I didn't read this post sooner, woulda' had fun with that Guy! :dance

Geeze Rog, why didn't you call me when this posted? :banghead

But I would like his tailgate.... :thinking

Jim :salut
Attachments
Side%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%252520%25252010%25252031%25252008%252520%25255B800x600%25255D.jpg
1971 Dodge Dude D200 Camper Special 383 2bbl/4 spd NP 435
1981 AMC Eagle SX4 Daughter's
1982 AMC Eagle SX4 Son's
1988 Mercedes 580 SEL MINE!
1976 Honda Z50A 88 cc/Turbo charged... 60+ MPH! VROOM!!! AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH........

Yellow71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Yellow71 »

:goodpost

Jim....sarcasm :lol: I was just doing my "Bob Varsha-Matt Stone-Mike Joy...Barrett Jackson...Well Bought" bit.... :lol:

I was wondering when you would chime in...

"Late to the party, Jim is" ...Yoda

I thought the "Not a Dude" was pretty horrible.

But, I hadn't noticed the backup lights...some kind of aftermarket lamps???...

Mike

SEVENTYONEDUDE
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 80931

Post by SEVENTYONEDUDE »

Thanks Mike! :salut :salut :salut

"sarcasm full of,serious not this BOY is, Dark Side foot one in, Jim Vader?"... yoda :thinking

Everyone on the site knows of my 2 week delay checking in here... :banghead
Lucky for all, I didn't choose fire fighting as my profession! :pale

Roger emails me EVERYDAY, but I guess he didn't think this post was "impotant" enough... :banghead :lol:

"pretty horrible" is for the POOR people that bid that imposter up over 4K!!!
I bet even if I detailed the crap out of my Dude, put the trim rings back on, took a GAZILLION pictures, it probably wouldn't even bid that high... :lol:
And to think that Wasson character gave that Gold MESS < being way too kind here, his backing.... :thinking
He (CW) has emailed me trying to get my Dude on his site, but I'm having second thoughts now... :withstupid

I have those flood "back-up" lights on the John Deere tractor.
I bet that they would keep him from running into anything at night, but how does he keep the airplanes and Commercial Airliners from landing on top of him??? :lol: :dance

Jim :salut

Yellow71 wrote::goodpost

Jim....sarcasm :lol: I was just doing my "Bob Varsha-Matt Stone-Mike Joy...Barrett Jackson...Well Bought" bit.... :lol:

I was wondering when you would chime in...

"Late to the party, Jim is" ...Yoda

I thought the "Not a Dude" was pretty horrible.

But, I hadn't noticed the backup lights...some kind of aftermarket lamps???...

Mike
1971 Dodge Dude D200 Camper Special 383 2bbl/4 spd NP 435
1981 AMC Eagle SX4 Daughter's
1982 AMC Eagle SX4 Son's
1988 Mercedes 580 SEL MINE!
1976 Honda Z50A 88 cc/Turbo charged... 60+ MPH! VROOM!!! AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH........

hemithekid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Casper
State: WY

Post by hemithekid »

And he just painted over the rust on the doors instead of fixing it.
DODGE RULES!!!!!