I am in deep now!

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
farmhand66css
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Portsmouth RI

I am in deep now!

Post by farmhand66css »

I have been slowly working on fixing up my 66, trying to get it on the road. When I got it last year it was running. No brakes or clutch. The seat in it was froim a car and not even mounted, the gas tank was gone and the windshield was cracked. All the rubber was worn and needed replacing.

My intention was to give it a quick paint job fix the hydrolics and use the truck.

I have the new parts I need, rubber and glass. I found a seat and bought a gas tank. I even bought a 68 for parts and got a better front fender.
I have been hammering out the dents and welding in the holes. Trying to use as little bondo as possible. even filled some spots with lead, the old way.

I have thought that I wouldn't spend much time on the truck, it is a truck.

Today I went over the line. I pulled the front fenders off to swap the drivers side. The next thing I know I am thinking I should paint the firewall "If I have gone this far" might as well. I just cannot egt around the engine. Well I called my brother in law over from next door and we pulled the cab off the frame!

I guess I am into a frame off restoration? I still have the bed on the frame, does that count? if I could only find the right engine for the truck.

question is do I clean up the old 360 or leave it dirty in the new engine compartment?

well enough of my babbling,Trying to have it done for a fathers day show, keep you posted

Matt
Farmhand 66 CSS
66 D100 CSS
65 A100 pop-top van
1978 shortbed stepside

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

welcome to the wonderfull world of hot rodding. you might as well admit that you wont be happy with anything less then completely redone and just go with it. quit fooling yourself into thinking you are going to take any short cuts, its obviuos your not going to. and you shouldnt, you got a truck worth all the effort. i got a poly for you, with a carb, valve adjustment and a tune up, you would be driving the day after you got it in. she runs smooth and strong. come on down and get it, ill make you a good deal.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Matt , tray is right again ! if your that far just go ahead & do it right, you have a css & might as well go fore it , you & your brother can tag team the driving to NM & back in a week easy :roll:
8)
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

your stuck!

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

:lol: Yeap farmhandcss,
Thats exactly what happened to me, all I wanted to do was to beef up the engine a little more and paint the enging bay and as I dug through the items I saw things and told myself, well since I'm here might as well go ahead and do this also, next thing ya know it was down to the frame! :oops:

71fargo
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: HANLEY
State: Foreign

Post by 71fargo »

i wound up doing the same with mine was going to get it running and drive it got the engine out fender's off then the cab the box down to the frame might as well clean that up while i am here winter come's too cold to work in the garage start picking up part's here and there some used some nos now it is going to be more for show it is one of those thing's that can snowball on ya and grow to something that you had not really planned on become's one of those might as well's while i am here 71 fargo
71 FARGO SWB 4X4 98 CHEROKEE 82 DODGE RAM 64 D-400 FARGO 82 RAMCHARGER

oneowner71
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Fort Worth, TX

Post by oneowner71 »

I think mine may end up that same way, but after quite a few detours... since mine runs and is in decent shape now, I guess I will pass that point in tear down where it just won't be complete enough to drive anymore and will go all the way with it... but I have that same disease... started working on the door panels and ended up with a whole new headliner and console, got a new gauge package coming in the mail to put in some aftermarket gauges.... it just keeps going, but I haven't regretted any of the extra effort I have put into mine yet.
Thanks, Clint
1971 D-100, 318 3-spd
1970 Dude, 383 / A727
1974 Challenger, 383/A727 (451 5-speed, someday)
1971 Plymouth Satellite,
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

damn good thing you didnt have that attitude when it came to puttin dents in the truck! ahhahahahahhahahahahaaaa!! :wink:
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

farmhand66css
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by farmhand66css »

Well I guess you guys know what is next... I was cleaning the frame of the truck. looking at the bed and now i am thinking it must come off too.

I am hopefull to get it all painted and back together for our local fathers day show.

I hope to post pictures when I get a chance

Matt
Farmhand 66 CSS
66 D100 CSS
65 A100 pop-top van
1978 shortbed stepside

farmhand66css
Founding Member
Founding Member

WHAT NEXT?

Post by farmhand66css »

Well I did it, Pulled the bed off the frame this weekend. I bet some of you guys knew it would come to this. As I said before I did not intend to do a frame off project. While I have the frame stripped what do you guys think I should use on it??

I was going to shoot it with a couple coats of rustolium flat black from a can. I found original paint tonight under some undercoating and it is a gloss black.

should I undercoat it or just give it a good coat of paint??

I am at a loss I am not making a show truck but want to keep it nice.

thanks, Matt
Farmhand 66 CSS
66 D100 CSS
65 A100 pop-top van
1978 shortbed stepside

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Frame

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Either order you some frame paint from http://www.por15.com or get the encapsulator from Eastwood-either are excellant and will last!