Please allow myself to introduce myself...

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
elsinite
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lake Elsinore, Ca.

Please allow myself to introduce myself...

Post by elsinite »

What's up fellas? I stumbled across your site while trying to research my truck. Cool! :salut There is a ton of awesome info on here, and that will help me out tremendously in my next project/addiction.

Oh yea. My name's Greg. I live in Lake Elsinore Ca. I have been building cars in my garage since I was 14 yrs old. I am now 41, so you would think I would be good at it, but after about 40 or so car builds of various depth I would still consider myself a full on jack of all trades. Certainly a master of none. My cars are always of garage quality (and always hot rods), and I drive the heck out of them.I always send out any kind of motor stuff that is not just bolt on, but can manage with body and paint, suspension etc. Anyway, Howdy.

Here is one small catch. The truck I am working on is a 1959 Dodge d100, so it is not a Sweptline. I believe it is a Utiline. Can I still hang? Maybe I can be the red headed step child? I do recognize a bunch of the same running gear and suspension stuff if I am not mistaken. I know many of you could tell me more about my truck than I can tell you. BTW- I am going to leave all the stock running gear and suspension, and put it in the weeds, and then put my kid's dirt bike and my own in the back and cruise it to the local motocross tracks around here.

Here is what I know about my truck so far; 1959 Dodge d100 2wd. It has the 318 Poly motor w/3 speed manual trans. It has the Utiline 7 1/2' bed. Small window. Everything is stock and unmolested (until I get ahold of it). I bought it straight out of the heart of Compton for $500. It runs, but needs re-wiring badly. It goes into gear, but won't move. You can feel the clutch engage, but it won't roll unless I floor it, then just a nudge forward or back. I assume I need to put a clutch in it, and what else? Plans include changing to disc brakes in the front,lowering it, paint, and just making it dependable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mavis13
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Prescott,AZ

Re: Please allow myself to introduce myself...

Post by Mavis13 »

welcome. sounds like a sweet truck :Thumbsup i almost picked up a 58 d00 utiline once but by the time i got ahold of the guy it was gone. id love to see pics of yours. :welcome

as for the shifting issue check the tranny and make sure all the bolts are in and tight. my buddy has a 65 chevy truck and his did something like yours wouldnt shift unless he floored it. he got under and found out the guy he bought it from only put in 2 bolts so the tranny wasnt engaging right. so check that out :Thumbsup
1968 Dodge D100 LA 318, 1972 Plymouth Fury 3

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

:welcome and I would also like to see pictures, I have a spot in my heart for all the older Dodge's, also it could be the clutch just needs adjustment also :study

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

:welcome aboard! "straight outa Compton" sounds like a song, lol. i would luv to see some pics, in my opinion any older Dodge truck person is welcome here! there has been a lot of conversation about puttin' these trucks in the weeds. some with the straight axle, some by converting to a IFS unit of some nature. advantages of the IFS swap include, power steering options & most have disc brakes, and last but not least is a little better ride quality. good luck in making your choice & again can't wait to see some pics.

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

Goldie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Goldie »

All are welcome here. Most of the guys have more then sweptlines in their stable. Once you get "bit" you will too. :welcome
63 9 pass fury wagon
US NAVY, 1968 -1972 HS-5, 7, 9, NAS quonset pt. Essex, Wasp, Intrepid, Independence, Forrestal, Saratoga
I didn't do it and if I did I don't remember.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

:welcome Definitely can hang. Sounds like a sweet truck with a promising future :Thumbsup
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

You're very welcome to hang. :welcome Your Utiline shares a lot of
common parts with the Sweptlines. Don't worry.... you'll spy a Sweptline
for sale in your neighborhood.... buy it and become obsessed just like
the rest of us :lol: :lol: .... its only a matter of time. In the meantime....
join right in. :Thumbsup
John

elsinite
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by elsinite »

Right on. Thanks for the welcome guys. I need to figure out how to download pics, and I will put some up. I saw a help section, so I will check that out.

Haha. It worked. There is my beast.
Attachments
truck.jpg
truck.jpg (12.55 KiB) Viewed 859 times

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Check this one out!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-Dod ... dZViewItem
I'm starting to like them more, and not so much like the "red-headed step child". :joker
Doug

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

:welcome Greg,

Thats a great looking "Power Giant" era truck! Good to have you aboard.

Doug

68Dodge1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sterling
State: CO

Post by 68Dodge1 »

:welcome,glad to have you aboard!

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Glad you found this site. Any Dodge truck owner or anyone who would like to be an owner is welcome here. Here's another website that you might like.

http://members.aol.com/powergiant/

It's mostly about Power Wagons but body and trim parts would be the same as yours. Be sure and post pics of your work as you go.
1969 Adventurer W100

elsinite
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by elsinite »

Cool links guys. Now for a little advice...

I have a 78 dodge 3/4 ton van that has a 360 and auto trans(not sure of model, does anyone know?) Anyway, it runs good, and I may consider swapping it into the truck. Keep in mind I am making a hot rod. Also, the van has disc brakes, etc. I may use those also if it's worth doing. Could I use the brakes without switching to IFS?

What do you guys think of this option? Would I be killing the cool factor of the truck if I did this? Is it a difficult swap?

ALindustrial
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Abilene, KS 67410

Post by ALindustrial »

its your truck guy, do whatever you want to do.. make sure they have the same tire spacing and what not... just a simple frame swap might be easier than you think... all you have to do is make new mounting points... maybe a two weekend project.... and a bunch of really strong friends would help.. :lol:

Emmy41
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Findlay
State: OH

Post by Emmy41 »

I realize this is an old thread but, I am trying to access this link and need some help
I pasted it into my browser and searched it.....had to open an account in all....then had to download AIM APP
......Still no path to this link, what am I missing?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Obviously the AIM acct has been deleted....(been almost 10 yrs eh?)