Just a newbie checking in

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
SmokyMtnSwepty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Webster,NC

Just a newbie checking in

Post by SmokyMtnSwepty »

Been lurking here a few weeks now and thought I'd share a few pics on my new toy.
Just a tired 71 D100 saved from going to a junkyard somewhere. It was sitting on top
of a mountain here in Western NC. Missing the coil and wires....sitting on 3 flat tires.
Spent a few hours replacing missing parts and got it to fire on 5 year old gas. Ran like hell only to
discover whoever stole the coil knocked the distributor out by 90 degrees. Ran much better considering
we timed it by ear. Rather than using my trusty AAA Plus card and having it flatbedded home we said
"What the hell, lets see how far it makes it". We had a 40 mile drive through some twisty mountain roads
and had a 3500 foot gap to cross ( and stop coming down). Low and behold the old girl made it just fine. :)
Pissed off a colony of mice big time and part of the exhaust let loose. Bumped the timing twice to get it over
the toughest mountain but its home. After I washed off the 5 years of mold and grunge it looks a lil better
and the wife even said "Its not too bad". Plans are to merely spiff it up a lil bit ( cheaply) use it to haul gravel etc
and be the only Sweptline running around town. I used to drive an old 50's Vintage Power Wagon on my 1st job when i was 14
and a mid 60's vintage one on my second job. I know this thing is nothing special but I like it and am already on to another....
but more on it when its in my driveway :) Im waiting for the title on this one and the next one has title issues also.
I enjoy this site and look forward to picking some brains on questions that Im sure are gonna come up.
day 1.jpg
day2.jpg

SmokyMtnSwepty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Just a newbie checking in

Post by SmokyMtnSwepty »

And the other side....
day1a.jpg

Ibleedmopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Freeport IL

Post by Ibleedmopar »

:welcome :salut
"I'm a self made man, I started with nothing and still have most of it."

70 D100 Swb
98 Ram 1500 Swb
99 300 M

achille
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Washington

Post by achille »

:welcome Definately looks to be worth saving. :Thumbsup
Imperial or ? wheels on front? :thinking
D100 with ,looks like 8 lug rear? :thinking ... :study

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Your truck looks great! I'll bet it cleans up just fine. Glad to see you
made it to the forum! :welcome
John

cbody70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grimsby/ON

Post by cbody70 »

Great looking truck and welcome aboard. Nice to see another one get saved. :clap Notice you have the rare curved mirror arms. Hang onto those! Hard to tell from the pics but the body looks pretty solid. It does look like a D200. What's under the hood?
Fred - "Oscar" 1969 Fargo D200 Camper Special and "Nessie" 1970 Dodge Polara Convertible

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

welcome aboard!! glad to see another NC sweptliner. what part are you in? i'm in Durham. enjoy the truck, if yur needing some parts & wanta take a ride, come my way, there's an old yard in Efland, NC that has a bunch of those trucks still left in it.

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

Jones
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Castle Rock/WA
State: WA

Post by Jones »

:welcome

Keith
62 D100
63 D100 (Parts)
64 D100
2012 Dodge 1500

SmokyMtnSwepty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SmokyMtnSwepty »

Thanks for the welcome yall and Matt if i get that way might call on ya. Im way in the Western part of NC near the Smokies National Park. It is in fact a D100. The truck has a non correct 318 out of an 82 Dodge. The Vin Tag states it was originally a 318 though. Also the Imperial wheels obviously arent correct. The 3/4 ton rear axle was added by a previous owner( I know the last 2 owners) years ago as a half ton axle wasnt to be found around here. Options on the truck as best as I can tell are 318, auto trans, radio and I cant quite figure which trim package this was. Pic below of what I think it was. I got a 71 Truck brochure...( looking at it again now) but being as the truck was repainted a crappy beige over the original white I dont know what emblems are missing if any. Im waiting before I have the title in my hands before I get replacement rocker/step panels. The truck has rust in the usual places. Also pending my next Sweptside purchase and whether I can get a title for it ( Im buying it regardless ) will determine what I do with the front axle situation on this truck.
Old Dodges just arent seen roaming the roads around here. I love seeing all the ones that are posted in the Classifieds here.....just why are all the ones I want and can afford in Oregon? Mostly Old Chevys and Fords roaming around this lil town with one guy that has some early 60's IHC's. I look forward to the attention that this D100 will get as there is not another one in town that I know of. It runs, drives, stops (kinda) and the steering is sloppier than me cooking in the kitchen. The dual glasspacks sound horrendous( I LOVE IT!) Reminds me I need to get out there with a coat hanger or 4 to fix that busted hanger. The tailgate is missing but a few pieces of scrap pressure treated lumber will fix that. More on this adventure in thriftiness as it develops :) And yes.....I'm cherishing those curved mirror mounts.....I saw what a set did a few weeks ago on eBay.....lol
71 special ad.jpg

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Cool truck! :welcome to the forum!!!
Doug

OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North
State: UT

Post by OleRed66 »

Right on good find. :welcome aboard
1966 Dodge D100 - Ole Red
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee - The Jeep
1985 Honda Magna - Maggie
2007 Dodge Durango Hemi (wifes) - D
1992 Plymouth Acclaim - Gramma

SmokyMtnSwepty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SmokyMtnSwepty »

Nine months later and I finally got the old beast legal and semi roadworthy. All the lights work. New turbo mufflers, a couple of door hinges off ebay and a window regulator. I'm good to go. I am in the midst of a MAJOR home remodel and the old Dodge has taken a backseat to that but I still mess with it when I have the time. I am so happy I can finally drive it now. :) I'm determined to give it a Rust O Leum paint job as I want to have like NO $$ in this thing. Roof is done with a quart of gray gloss I had laying around. Thinking the body will go plain old gloss white to hide the imperfections of my stellar body work. More as progress takes place. I love this forum and peek around here almost daily. Nice to see a group of people that love these things for what they are.......old trucks. :clap :clap
Attachments
DSCF0866a.jpg

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

Glad to see it's coming along! Mike
Remember, if you run out of projects, you die!
http://pics.livejournal.com/mikescars/

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

Welcome, you found a great one to save!! Looks a lot better already!

DocsTruck
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Opelika
State: AL

Post by DocsTruck »

:welcome The grey roof looks nice! :Thumbsup
Marty
Keeper Of Old Blue
1968 D100 Custom

68Dodge1