71 D100 at the strip

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
etsweptster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

71 D100 at the strip

Post by etsweptster »

Here's a vid of my truck at the dragstrip this weekend. I got in trouble for running faster than 11.50, so I had to make sure not to do it again or I would be disqualified. I spent the rest of the day making sure that I only won by a half a car length or so. It's heads up racing, the fastest car wins. The vid is the semi-final, and I went on to beat a camaro in the final. It was a fun day, but the traction sucked because it was a Jr. Dragster event as well, and they always tear up the groove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7KuhN-ZCO0
Pump gas small blocks rock!

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

SWEET :Thumbsup

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

that's way cool. showin' the E-body how its done!
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

Unreal!

If I didn't see it I may not believe it! That thing is fast.

And to think of all the weight that truck carries down that 1/4 mile, unreal... :Thumbsup

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

There are a couple of videos with that truck going down the strip. Too cool!

...and that is at over 4,800 feet elevation, IIRC!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

etsweptster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by etsweptster »

Thanks for the compliments! I'll try to get someone to video my next 10 second pass. If the track is prepped better, it will yank the front tires about 6 inches off the ground. :lol:

70-D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St. Clair Shores
State: MI

Post by 70-D100 »

:Thumbsup SWEET. Is that a small block???
Must be on the bottle big time. Looks like a trans brake too?
Tell us about it :Thumbsup

:usa

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Never get enough of that truck! :clap :dance
Doug

etsweptster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by etsweptster »

It's a 408 with a hydraulic cam, and 91 octane gas. I ported the edlebrock heads myself, and it has a proform main bodied 750 on it for now. I've got about a 3800 rpm stall in the 904 and 3.91 gears. I will never drive anything that isn't footbraked, I hate transbrakes! I drive it 45 miles each way to the track, and it gets about 15 mpg.

I ran 12.24 at 109 mph Friday night on the motor, and the video is with a 75 shot of nitrous.(hitting the brakes to not run under 11.50). I ran a 10.96 at 121 with the 150 shot, but I was warned to not do it again...at least until I have a rollbar.(which aint gonna happen). Keep in mind our track elevation is 4880 feet, and at sea level the 12.24 corrects to 11.49.

70-D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St. Clair Shores
State: MI

Post by 70-D100 »

That's awsome! :Thumbsup Nice launch w/o a transbrake. Looks like if you wanted to, you could do better with more NOS and a larger carb. I agree, NO cage. Keep it in the 11s and drive on the road too.
NICE TRUCK!
:usa

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Hola All

Last year at an Saturday Afternoon get together here in Colo Spgs, Brain gave a friend of mine an short ride "around the block". When they returned, Bob said, " ...it sure has better take off and go than my car ( 1940 flat head six Plymouth )". They both were ah grinnin.

http://southerncoloradomopars.org/forms ... s_home.jpg

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

Gordo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Gordo »

I noticed you mentioned 11.50 bringing on the requirment of a rollbar. How about a scatterproof bell housing? Are you running one? Drive shaft loop? Etc? Sanctioned NHRA Track?
Have you tubbed your wheel wells to get those slicks in there? Thanks, Gordo

I have a shortbox comin up that likely will be prompt, so I need to get up to speed. (pun) Gordo

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Gordo wrote:I noticed you mentioned 11.50 bringing on the requirment of a rollbar. How about a scatterproof bell housing? Are you running one? Drive shaft loop? Etc? Sanctioned NHRA Track?
Have you tubbed your wheel wells to get those slicks in there? Thanks, Gordo

I have a shortbox comin up that likely will be prompt, so I need to get up to speed. (pun) Gordo
Hey Gordo.... you're not tricking out that sweet
little '61 D100 are you? Tell us about what you
have cooking. Also, let us in on the strip records
you've set and still hold. :Thumbsup :clap
John

etsweptster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by etsweptster »

Yes, I have a driveshaft loop. That is required due to the slick-like ability of the Hoosier tires I run. No other safety requirements are needed until 11.50. (except the basics like secure battery, radiator catch can, seat belt, and snell approved helmet) It is NHRA sanctioned, and the NHRA allows vehicles to go 11.50 without a rollbar, 5 point harness, scatter shield, SFI balancer,flexplate, scatter shield or jacket. That's why I say that I will never make it legal to go faster than 11.50...it's just too much stuff to add.

The rearend is not tubbed. I am only running 29x11.50 tires on 8.5 inch wheels. They have 5 inches of backspace, and I could probably squeeze a bit more tire in if I had a bit more backspace. There is still over an inch of clearance to the inner wheel tub! I look forward to seeing your "prompt" shortbox in the future!!

Gordo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Gordo »

John, "NOT" the 61 that is the very first one pictured under the Sweptline Registery. That truck will probably just remain a mint, 3 speed slant 6. It's Just too original. It is however being cleaned and re-painted. :usa

The Calendar truck sure would be a good second hope eh?

Progress is a little slow. Hecksfire, I am thinking about a un-retire, so that I can finish my projects.

I doubt I will try to be competitive in national events. Well, on the other hand,.. I have to admit,..the probability is there just due to my youthful nature. LOL Gordo

Other, on the question

My last NHRA national record which I held was in a "stocker" class called "A" sports. It was in brand new 1966 Vette with a factory stock 427 rat motor. I need to re-look up the ET and mph. It was quick even by todays standards. I recall it was quick enough to have the super stock fellas droppin by.

I later, (next year) re-broke my old record with a new 67. The 66 is the one that quick enough to take, and keep, the record which previously was held by a 427 cobra. That cobra recently went through Barrett Jackson auction for a ton.

I now realize, I shoulda went Mopar "Super Stock"
I say that because,,.. "Mopar Rules". :usa

Yes, I held several other national records, but they are, also ancient history.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Thanks for the information Gordo! :Thumbsup
John

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

fast

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Weight?? what weight??? these trucks are lighter than all cars except a bodies, thats the biggest reason they can go fast :Thumbsup etsweptster what weight do you think your down to now?? about 3300lbs maybe??? :thinking they came from factory at around 3600lbs, you maybe down to 3000???

etsweptster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by etsweptster »

I rolled across the scales a Bandimere last year at 3650 with very little gas. I have since went to lighter wheels and aluminum heads. I did add the nitrous system since then as well. I would assume that I am right around 3550 now...with me in it of course. The class 3 hitch weighs 45 pounds, and the full 3 inch exhaust system with the Aerochambers probably weighs at least 100 pounds--which is weight were I need it!

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Magnolia

Re: 71 D100 at the strip

Post by TedWitt »

I just watched this video of hellbellyd100 and that truck sounds awsom,,,,,,,,,I gotta get my 440 back on wheels.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMBMom9M ... re=related

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview

Re: 71 D100 at the strip

Post by mopardwh »

TedWitt wrote:I just watched this video of hellbellyd100 and that truck sounds awsom,,,,,,,,,I gotta get my 440 back on wheels.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMBMom9M ... re=related
I'm pretty sure that was "Hot Rod John" with his 383 truck, HellBelly just uploaded it. I think he recently sold that truck or at least it was for sale.
Doug