40 reasons why guns should be banned

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Re: 40 reasons why guns should be banned

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

DaveRoss wrote:Have you ever heard of satire, lampoonery or pasquinade?
I guess I'm not tall enough, because that "joke" went right over my head. :thinking
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

moped

remeber a guy name hitler?/.45 cal. saved my life!!!!

Post by moped »

each to to his own opinion i guess.if you were to ask ones that have known me well over the years would tell u this is as pol/correct i'll probably ever be.remember hitler? one of the first and most decisive things he did was to disarm the people,which is why i'll never own a registerd fire arm be cause when they try with us how do you think they will know where to go first?this person must have had a pretty shelterd life or he would know that a bully first and always first will pick on the ones they know either won't fight back or can't fight back.i won't go in to details but some time back after being followed off the highway to my home and getting the door kicked in the only reason i or my wife did not get hurt was because some idiots still have not learned tha u don,t bring bats or knives to a gun fight.one question which gun owning person will he run to if the balloon ever goes up??? :censored

moped

P.S./////

Post by moped »

i ran out of room but i'll finish with this
gun control is a first round hit!!! :salut

moped

Post by moped »

since it was at this site that i chose to show my @#% for every one to see then this is where i'll post my most humble apology to david ross for making my reply to his most excellant posting about fire arms[BEFORE I READ THE ENTIRE THING]dave please accept this as a sincere apology!! and yes a lesson relearned [from a long long time ago!]
"mike dodge"-moped!

DaveRoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Greensboro
State: NC

Post by DaveRoss »

moped wrote:since it was at this site that i chose to show my @#% for every one to see then this is where i'll post my most humble apology to david ross for making my reply to his most excellant posting about fire arms[BEFORE I READ THE ENTIRE THING]dave please accept this as a sincere apology!! and yes a lesson relearned [from a long long time ago!]
"mike dodge"-moped!
No problem man. It's all fun here. On the site where I first saw it, I got ready to get all PO'd too. Then it hit me, THIS IS KEWL! Had to share it with ya'll.

It was that rascally title that suckered most (if not all) of us.

:joker :lol: :usa
Dave
'71 D100 225 /6
daily driver

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Magnolia
State: TX

Gun Control

Post by TedWitt »

I control mine very well, thank you. Hey menefreghista762, that looks like my AK 47, 762X39. Hey duracell, how do you know what a blunt is?? huh.........Yes, I've got my CHL and proud of it and I love my 357 Ruger Security Six and my P94 40 cal. Never leave home without at least one of them, the rest are my secrets.

FYI, in Texas, anyone can carry a blackpowder concealed without a license, it's not concidered a weapon, it's a novelty. My 44 cal blackpowder 1861 naval colt replica will kill just as fast as a 357.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Always keep in mind, gentlemen, that since Great Britain and Australia banned handguns and rifles, in the past five years, the crimes of rape, murder, home invasion, armed robbery, thuggery, and burglary have gone up by hundreds of percentage points. When the bad guy knows the victime isn't armed, and the victim will likely get IN TROUBLE for defending himself (!), they have nothing to lose!!!

Don't EVER think a gun ban can't happen in this country! Join the NRA and keep in tune with your state representatives and Senators. I have the phone numbers and email addresses of ALL of my US reps and Senators, plus my state senator, my rep, and my city councilman and county commisioner. Get involved and get knowlegeable. Never, ever take your rights for granted!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Magnolia
State: TX

YEP

Post by TedWitt »

You are right.

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

Social Studies lesson. Regardless of which side you follow, beware of sweeping generalizations and relying on statistics. After a short web search, I found that The Guardian, a well-known British newspaper, has a different idea as to what "hundreds of percentage points" might mean. Here is the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article ... 64,00.html

Essentially, it said that gun crime in England and Wales were down 14% and the murder rate was down 9%. Not all crime was down, there was a 46% increase in home invasions to 645 home invasions. That sounds horrible, right? Well, it would be if it happened to you. But let's look at the numbers. Math lesson. What was the number that was increased by 46%? 442 was the original number --divide 645 by 1.46 to get the 442. According to Wikipedia, England's total population is 60,901,000. Therefore, 645 is .0000105% --I stopped with the number there, instead of continuing on for many more decimal places-- of the population of England that had a home invasion. And that is the number that had increased. Assuming the same population, the previous year is actually .00000725% of the amount --multiply 60901000 times .00000725 and you'll get 442 approximately, the same for multiplying 60901000 times .0000105 and you'll get 645--. To get the percentages, I divided the population into the number of crimes. So, beware of the difference between the 2 years when looked at with different numbers, but numbers that mean the same thing. Crime went up from .00000725 to .0000105% Why, that is a 69% difference! --.00000725 divided by .0000105=.69--. See how easy it is to play with numbers? Math lesson over. Ok, just fooled you, 442 divided by 645 is 69% too. But whose numbers are to be believed, what do they represent, and what are the motives of those presenting them? How new are the statistics? From the article I noted, it seemed that there was a heightened crime wave 5 years ago. Is that true today? From the article, it seemed things were decreasing --the article is date from Jan. of 2007--. Is the study that was mentioned in the sweptline article citing recent information? How old? From where? Social Studies lesson again: The internet isn't always to be believed. We must all do thinking for ourselves, no matter what side of a position you are on.

Additionally, of the 60901000 that is mentioned as the population, how many live in the same homes? Obviously, that would change the numbers as well. There are so many ways to manipulate numbers that you must be careful with them. My point is that it is better to have more concrete facts and be able to show where you got them from instead of mentioning vague things that become urban legends.

Are you wondering why the newspaper said there was a 46% increase, while I had a 69% increase? They correctly chose the difference between the 2 numbers, which is 203, and divided 203 by 442. Because the starting number was 442, and it increased by 203, there is your 46% increase. My math numbers were correct, but they didn't mean what you thought they meant. Guns are fine, and I am not suggesting we get rid of them by the way. I just wanted to point out that any side can and does manipulate, and to be aware.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I always considered owning a firearm to be more of a
privilege which can be revoked. I too am a lifetime
member of the NRA and I do vote :usa
John

DaveRoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Greensboro
State: NC

Post by DaveRoss »

I think this may be worth a *bump* today.

:2cents
Dave
'71 D100 225 /6
daily driver

Sly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Sly »

I'm not sure it deserves a bump today, But Sly will bite.

I live 30 miles fron VT. A few years ago a student with a CCW permit was thrown off campus, he had done nothing wrong, He was a straight upstanding student. With a legal weapon, and license to carry. They had a big uproar, and turned the campus into a "Gun free zone".........Now think about this.......

There could have been a few people there, Legally carrying, That could have stopped this.

Gun control laws ONLY help the crimminals.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Sly wrote:I'm not sure it deserves a bump today, But Sly will bite.

I live 30 miles fron VT. A few years ago a student with a CCW permit was thrown off campus, he had done nothing wrong, He was a straight upstanding student. With a legal weapon, and license to carry. They had a big uproar, and turned the campus into a "Gun free zone".........Now think about this.......

There could have been a few people there, Legally carrying, That could have stopped this.

Gun control laws ONLY help the crimminals.
I agree, and I'll bet most everyone else here does too. I don't know why the Rosey O'Donnell's of the world and all the rest of the politicians that are now screaming for stricter gun control laws don't know that too.
1969 Adventurer W100

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

With Rosie it gets even better. She wants no one to carry guns, at all. However, she had her personal bodyguard get a CCW for her own protection. Fact, not fiction. Can you believe her?!! It's OK for her, but not you. Unbelievable!!

Something else to ponder-

Drugs are completely outlawed, yet the badguys still get all they want.

Outlaw guns, and they will still have no problem getting all they want. Only now, you & I will be unarmed and completely defenseless...

achille
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Washington

catching up...

Post by achille »

:goodpost amen BUMP?