This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wooster
State: OH

Re: New member

Post by drewvirgili »

Hi Jim! I have been considering your cd and might just have to pick up a copy. How close are you to Ohio? I know they are trying to sell it right now. They don't have a set price but I'm pretty sure they would like somewhere in the $4,000 range. I know it's in great shape.

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

Thanks by the way! I think the truck is pretty sweet! Still trying to decide if I want to stick with the custom bumper or go with a stock one.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

drewvirgili wrote:Hi Jim! I have been considering your cd and might just have to pick up a copy. How close are you to Ohio? I know they are trying to sell it right now. They don't have a set price but I'm pretty sure they would like somewhere in the $4,000 range. I know it's in great shape.
Thanks, but I need to find one a bit closer to home. Even though I can make Ohia (sic :joker ) in about 8 hours.
I always have CD's ready, so... whenever if/when you want one. :salut

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

They should fit im using the police rims on my Adventurer

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

Roxyflash wrote:They should fit im using the police rims on my Adventurer
Thanks for the reply!! I unfortunately forgot that they are 14" rims not 15" dang it! Anyone else running 14" tires on there trucks? Any disadvantages to using a 14" vs a 15"?? Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm not real familiar with tire sizes and such.

Thanks,
Drew

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

You can actually fit as small as a 13" rim on them. I had 14F and 15R for awhile on mine, old set of no name alloy kidney beans from the 70s. Switched back to the 15" L'il Red Express rims and tires that were on it when I bought the truck.

Even an LT235/75R15 looks tiny on our trucks. Like so...Image

What look are you going for? Work truck, play truck, full on "trokita" bomb lowrider...? I know it's an AD Chebby, nobody build them out of Dodges...
Attachments
trokitaperfection.jpg

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

Oh ok sweet!! I might just use them then! I'll just be using the truck for fun mainly just cruising around town and to shows. It might bring a few items from the lumber store home from time to time but nothing large or really heavy.....I've got a newer truck for heavy lifting.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Mine is supposed to be getting LT31x10.5-15 fronts and LT33x12.50-15 rears and a race track push bumper. Wrecker lights, bed bar, HUGE winch in the front bumper center (came off a shrimp boat), Corvette style side pipes, engine and bay done up real fancy, wood strip headliner and interior trim...

If my wife would ever quit using it on the farm as a storage bin... cab is full of cement bags, bed is full of hoses for the garden and bean poles... has a set of cattle racks on it... :banghead :banghead :banghead

Not many fancy vintage trucks where I live, most are still working trucks or have been put out to pasture to rot in peace. I want my pair (49 and 69 1/2 tons) to be nice. One bomb trokita on 16s and wide whites, and a straight out of the mid 1970s full dress oval track push truck.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Like the pic but on a long wheelbase 69 D100... I even have a recovery boom in the barn, stainless steel, may leave the winch on it instead of adding it to the front end.
Attachments
Fordpushtruck.JPG

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

That's a cool truck!! Thanks for all your help and info guys I really appreciate it! I can't wait to get the truck back on the road again. What's a good muffler to go with the slant six? I want something that sounds decent but isn't totally quite either. Doesn't need to shake windows or anything either and definitely don't want something like what you see on the rice burners running around town now. Thanks!

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Tractor Supply AC-4 muffler. Or a glasspack. Or any generic turbo muffler, the pair I have on my 318 powered 69 are fairly quiet until the loud pedal is slammed through the floor (literally, I need new floor pans).

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

Well, it has been a while since I have posted so I thought I would update everyone. The truck is home and I have been hard at work on it. My main goal at first was trying to figure out what color I ultimately wanted the truck to be and I think I have landed on a metallic blue with a white top. I will also have the mirrors and bumpers painted in white as well. I am still working on treating the rust and repairing some area's that are rusted thru.

As I was doing that, I also started digging into the engine a bit and seeing if I could at least get it running and stopping. Since I am on a budget, single income with two young kids and a wife, I am only able to work on things a bit here and there as time and money allows. I have the stock slant six in the truck for the time being but I believe that the pickup in the distributor is shot :banghead. I did alot of checks and it looks like I am getting voltage to the coil but I am getting no spark whatsoever even out of the coil. I also believe the fuel pump might be shot because I am not getting any fuel up into the fuel filter or carb when trying to start the engine.

With that being said, I received a free 1984 Dodge RamCharger from a family member and I am debating about purchasing some parts and making the swap to the 318 (once I confirm the 318 will run) and sticking with my stock 3 on the tree trans setup. One question that I have for everyone on here though is, what other parts can I steal from the RamCharger and bolt up to my truck with little to no mods? Bumpers, axles, fuel tank, etc? Also, if anyone knows anyone looking for a slant six I might be selling my 1967 slant six with 77,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance!!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

There is no "pickup" in the stock distributor. Install new points and condensor and that will likely fix your spark problem.

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

PrwWgnDrvr - I am not sure what I would do without knowledgeable folks like you, thank you that is good to know! I did not realize that with the stock distributor. I am trying to find it right now, but do you by chance know what the correct gap setting is for these trucks?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

.017-.023 per the FSM.

John :study

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

Alright so it's been a while since I last posted an update. I am still unfortunately plagued by the no spark issue even after replacing the points and condenser, ensuring proper gap. I also verified the battery is good and is supplying the correct voltage to the coil. I also tried a new ballast resistor to make sure that was not the issue as well.

I have been on the hunt for an electronic ignition setup and unfortunately am having some issues finding one. Two questions I have are, can I use a distributor from a slightly newer model year slant six? Or am I better off to just use a Pertronix setup? Any advice is appreciated!

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

How is your coil?? Check these couple of things. You Should have a HOT wire with key on, on the + Pos. Side of coil. The - Neg. side will show HOT when points are OPEN. The Neg. wire goes to the Distributor. Pull cap off Dist. Then OPEN the points with a stick (non-metal) object. Then see if the NEG side of coil is HOT.

Rotor OK and it is the correct one? Make sure no RUST on end of Rotor?

Also, with the Dist. cap ON, pull coil wire OFF the cap, and have someone try and start it. Hold the coil wire about 1/4 inch away from a "ground" such as a BOLT on the head. You should SEE a spark. IF it does spark, then your points are GOOD.

Just a couple easy tests to check.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489