Where have all the good Junk Yards gone?

This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
FlatTop

Where have all the good Junk Yards gone?

Post by FlatTop »

As time goes by, it gets harder to find parts for these old dodge trucks or
just about any old vehicle these days, unless you by remanufactured if you can get
it, or aftermarket.

In my area of Northern VA, I have only been able to find one ''old school''
salvage yard that still has vehicles from the 30's to the late 70's or early 80's.
All the other Salvage yards are strictly 80's, 90s or much later and won't let
you stroll through the inventory due to liability concerns.

So thought to ask if anyone ever thought to start a listing of
where the ''good'' Salvage Yards are still located.

If not, tell me where your favorite one is located (any state)
and I'll start composing some sort of listing. Maybe if we get enough
it could be saved as a single sticky in the parts section or something like that.

My first entry would be the one I go to most:
Leon's Auto Parts‎
6207 James Monroe Highway
Leon, VA 22725
(540) 547-2366
@ 80 acres of old cars/trucks and some other
things I can't quite describe. :lol:

Any additional entries welcome.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: Where have all the good Junk Yards gone?

Post by wally426ci »

I haven't been to Leon's but I would guess my area would be your next closest unless North Carolina is closer.

Pennsylvania

Up here (in Maryland), Crazy Ray's of Mt.Airy & Pennington Ave. used to have alot of old stuff but they changed owners and I haven't found many.

This place is amazing, and I can draw you a map to every sweptline if my memory still works:
Ed Lucke Auto Parts
3195 Jefferson Rd, Glenville, PA
*Phone is disconnected, they don't open until the weekend of Spring Carlisle
"Wednesday-Friday 9:30am-12:30pm, 1:00pm-5:00pm. Saturday 9:00am-12:00pm."

This place is right up the road but they didn't have alot:
Eichelberger's U Pull
1381 Sunnyside Road
Spring Grove, PA 17362
(717) 225-5610

This place is east of there by a good ways:
Stewart Criswell & Sons Inc
13 Roberts Rd
Nottingham, PA
(717) 529-2612
*they had alot of sweptlines but they were pretty rotten.

If you search Junkyard up top, you'll probably see my 2 picture threads of a couple junkyards.

They are all about an hour from me. I have seen pictures of a junkyard in Maryland with alot of trucks but the dud was an @#% and wouldn't post the location.

Also this place had about 3 a few years ago:
Shorty & Dave's Truck U-Pull
588 Swedeland Rd
King of Prussia, PA
(610) 275-4141

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

The good thing about the Sweptlines is that they're made almost entirely
of steel, as opposed to later vehicles. This does not play in their favor
though, when scrap prices climb to the level[s] they have in the recent
past. :pale Most of the boneyards up in my region have cleared out all
the old cars & trucks years ago. The body panels on the ones up here
weren't any good due to the road salt used in Winter but there were a
lot of good drive train, trim and interior parts. I only know of a couple
yards left up here that actually have a few Sweptlines. One of them is
Demo's in Bergen, NY. :Thumbsup
John

PDQAUTO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: CLAYTON
State: NC

Post by PDQAUTO »

Billy West Racing Garage
819 Batten Farm Rd, Selma, NC
(919) 965-5405 ‎
in selma nc Nothing but 60s and 70s dodges

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Time marches on, guys. Far more '80s, '90s and 2000s cars and trucks on the road, and therefore in the boneyards. Lots more folks looking for parts for their '99 Impala, '03 Neon, or '01 F250 than there are old Mopars, Chevys or Fords. It's about supply and demand, cash flow, and making a living. Plus, scrap metal price fluctuations, natural disasters, and the value of the land for other development outweighing the possible profit potential of running a yard. Oh, yeah, let's not forget governments at all levels that think junkyards are the worst possible environmental disaster ever to hit, the cost of liability insurance to run a yard, and dumba$$ customers that nitpick and want to pay diddly-squat for parts PLUS expect the owner to have parts ready to pick up based on only a "promise" to buy...

THAT is what has happened to all the old junkyards.

Far as central Oklahoma, OKC has three good up-pull-it style yards that occasionally have older iron there for parts, and one other place that deals primarily in pre-1990 cars and trucks. Used to be over two dozen good old-style yards within a 50-mile radius as early as ten years ago. Not anymore.

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

I guess the answer to the question is, to China. Everything got crushed and sent there so they could send us back cheap crap. Did I just say that out loud? :lol: Mike

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

There are a couple of good old-time yards at a place called Mound House, about four miles East of Carson City, NV. Forget the names, but they are still there. A couple of cathouses right next door, too, so when you get tired of pulling parts, you can have some gal pull something else. LOL!
Last edited by 66patrick on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Oldguy wrote: Did I just say that out loud? :lol: Mike
I heard that! :shame :shame ..... And wholeheartedly agree. :lol:
John

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Oldguy wrote:I guess the answer to the question is, to China.
Beat me to it. I've noticed lately that even 80's cars are getting rare in the junk yard.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I call them Salvage Yards. I've posted quite a few sweptline pictures from salvage yards I've visited.

Doug's 4 Wheelers in Pella,IA probably has 20 or so sweptlines, plus lots of other old trucks of all makes.

John's Auto Salvage in Cabool, MO has acres of old vehicles. I think I saw about 10 sweptlines.

Car Country Auto Wrecking in Newton, IA has one sweptline but they have some other old vehicles way in the back.

B5ALIVE
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Buxton
State: ME

Post by B5ALIVE »

AYOTTE'S located at 210 Tiger Hill Rd, Oxford, Maine @ 45 mins west of Portland
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32011

Commando66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gig Harbor
State: WA

Post by Commando66 »

I just went to one this week while staying out of town for work. There was a pretty nice 69 that I picked a few good parts off of.

FlatTop

Post by FlatTop »

66patrick wrote:Time marches on, guys. Far more '80s, '90s and 2000s cars and trucks on the road, and therefore in the boneyards. Lots more folks looking for parts for their '99 Impala, '03 Neon, or '01 F250 than there are old Mopars, Chevys or Fords. It's about supply and demand, cash flow, and making a living. Plus, scrap metal price fluctuations, natural disasters, and the value of the land for other development outweighing the possible profit potential of running a yard. Oh, yeah, let's not forget governments at all levels that think junkyards are the worst possible environmental disaster ever to hit, the cost of liability insurance to run a yard, and dumba$$ customers that nitpick and want to pay diddly-squat for parts PLUS expect the owner to have parts ready to pick up based on only a "promise" to buy...

THAT is what has happened to all the old junkyards.

Far as central Oklahoma, OKC has three good up-pull-it style yards that occasionally have older iron there for parts, and one other place that deals primarily in pre-1990 cars and trucks. Used to be over two dozen good old-style yards within a 50-mile radius as early as ten years ago. Not anymore.

Agree with all this, that's why I posed the question. They are still out there, just not as many as there used to be.
We can't worry about what's gone at this point, but we can let each other know where there are still good
yards to pick from. So again, if you know where there is a '' boneyard '' tucked away in the hills somewhere,
and its still operational.... please let us know what its called and where its located. :Thumbsup

W20071
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntsville
State: UT

Post by W20071 »

Okay, if I tell you guys my secret, please don't clean the place out until i get my truck done :joker
In Ogden, Utah there is a "sweptline graveyard". The business is actually a welding/repair shop and i can't remember the name of it but the owners name is Ray Jensen. He is a very nice guy and he has a small yard out back that is full of Sweptlines, old Internationals, and a few others. His Wrecker/Snowplow is even a Sweptline. I have bought several parts from him, and planning to go back for more one of these next days. I will get the information and some pictures and post them here when i do. In the meantime, you can see it pretty good on google maps, at the southwest corner of Lincoln ave. and 18th street. There is a green 65 W200 with pto winch that is 90% complete that sits directly behind the shop, He wants to sell it as complete and not for parts, I've had to restrain myself a couple of times :thinking

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Baileyville
State: KS

Post by facechicken »

Watts Salvage Wymore, NE loads and loads of "old" stuff from 30s-70s and i do mean alot of everything...couple of sweptlines

Ronnebaum's near Centralia, KS (if you get to Centralia and ask someone about it, they will be able to tell you where it is).....lots of 80's and 90's nice "older" stuff as well.....a few sweptys some are of the 500 and up variety, mostly old service vehicles from nearby counties

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

A1 Truck in Auburn WA. Most everything is kept until it is picked clean. They always had 1930s and up when I went there.

W20071
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntsville
State: UT

Post by W20071 »

I went last Friday to the yard that i was speaking of, didn't have time to climb around and get many pics, but i did snap this one real quick. Been searching high and low for heater cables and was excited to get home now that i found them :dance . Also had to hurry and take the girlfriend to lunch for going along to help me :banghead .
Photo262.jpg

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Out here in California the EPA & treehuggers took all ours and made them go away. They’re auto recyclers now and most won't let you on the lot. Pick and Pull is all that's out here. There's enough mercury to fill a battleship in the ground from the 49er days and natural asbestos. They close school ballfields if the asbestos levels are too high. Bunch of idiots. Pick and Pulls prices are outrageous now days.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Dang, that UT spot makes me want to roll around all over the hood of each truck while smelling flowers..... :dance

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Horn's Auto Salvage in Springdale,AR has a lot of old stuff but only 1 Sweptline. It is a shortbed too.

I was going to visit Cagle's Salvage south of Muskogee, OK but it was raining pretty hard.
Attachments
FILE3035.jpg
FILE3026.jpg