transmission yoke

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

transmission yoke

Post by juddoats »

I have the overdrive tranny on my truck....this is the 904 correct? just wanting to make sure before I start looking for tranny yoke....should I find one at a junk yard or should I buy new? also what measurments should I take to let the driveshaft man know how long of a driveshaft I need?
thanks
judd

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: transmission yoke

Post by soopernaut »

juddoats wrote:I have the overdrive tranny on my truck....this is the 904 correct?
No.

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

If your trans is a auto with overdrive it can be a 904 or 727. The 904 is a 42rh the 727 is a 46rh. I assume you are running the hydro and not the electronic transmission correct? I got the yolk and drive shaft from another Sweptline owner from a 727 auto truck and the yolk fits right into my 46rh (a518) transmission. Looks like the drive shaft needs to be cut down about 3" because the OD trans is a little longer.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

40YearOldFury wrote:If your trans is a auto with overdrive it can be a 904 or 727.
These are not overdrive autos. The overdrive autos were based on these but are not the same dimensions or model numbers. If you use these numbers for the purposes of getting parts you are not going to get the correct ones.

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by juddoats »

what are you meaning that im running the hydro instead of elec. transmission? So you are saying the yoke off a 727 is the same as what I am needing? and just cut the drive shaft down?
Im VERY ignorant and learning so sorry I ask stupid questions and thanks for your help
Judd

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by juddoats »

sooper what is the model number for mine 518?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

juddoats wrote:sooper what is the model number for mine 518?
If you have the transmission based on the 727 then it would be the A518 which was also called the 46RH and 46RE(electronic governor).

If you have the transmission based on the 904 then it would be the A500 which was also called the 40RH, 40RE, 42RH, 42RE and 44RE. I don't think these were all the same either. I believe they changed the model numbers as they made modifications to them.

I believe the A518 and 46RH are the same thing.

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by juddoats »

mine is based off the 727 i do know that...so I need a yoke for an A518 or 46Rh or 46RE you are saying?

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 40YearOldFury »

The a518 is based on the 727. The front case looks just like a 727 but the tail and some internals are different than the 727. The yolk for the 727 and a518 46rh 46re can be the same. On the early ones they may differ. In 1988 they do not list a a518. They list a 999 or 994. I am not familiar with those. My trans came from a 1992 and the drive shaft and yolk from a 1970 727 fit into it. The spline count is the same. You may want to get the exact transmission model you have just to make sure. There are other things you will need to do to get your OD trans to shift and operate properly and not burn it up. Check out this site. They have been very helpful. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Here is my a518 transmission. I checked your build thread. Your trans looks like it has a smaller tail. I could be wrong.

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by juddoats »

yes sir...i have already bought the conversion kit to allow it to shift correctly :) how do I tell exactly what model mine is so i know what yoke to go looking for? are there markings on the tranny itself?

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by juddoats »

yours looks JUST like mine i think

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 40YearOldFury »

On my trans there really weren't any markings telling me what the trans was. There was a bar-code on it and I took the VIN to the dealer to ask them what it was. lol Hope it's the right trans! I just bought the vacuum switch from performance transmission and found the TH350 pressure switches from a local shop for $7 each. :Thumbsup The rest seems pretty easy. I grabbed the detent cable, detent linkage, shifter linkage, and shifter cables from a motor-home and the van I got the trans from. After the Sweptline meet this weekend I'll be starting on the transmission swap. Can't have the truck down during the meet! I put a shift improver kit in the trans to correct the 727/a518 no charge in park issue and stiffen the shifting. Let's hope it all works out! Keep up the good work and let us know about your progress. The 727 drive shaft should work on your truck. I was happy to see the one I got just slid right in there. I did not get a new yolk because this one is undamaged and the u-joints even seem solid. I figure I'll try what I got and spend extra $$ only if I have to. If you can find a donor automatic truck that might be your best bet. Or even something like a van or later truck. I have a 2 piece drive shaft in mine now behind my 318 Poly and NP435 so that's why I'm going with a new shaft.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

40YearOldFury wrote:Here is my a518 transmission. Image
Is that a crack where the shift linkage connection goes?

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 40YearOldFury »

soopernaut wrote:
40YearOldFury wrote:Here is my a518 transmission.
Is that a crack where the shift linkage connection goes?
No, part of the casting. :Thumbsup